1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 12:50 PM by RC1024 RSS

Please allow silence of camera shutter

D0nR1card0 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

To silence the camera is the only reason I would root my phone, and it is a very good reason. But would rather not have to.

It makes no sense to not allow shutter sound off. Some countries have laws against it, but the US does not, and if anyone was creepy enough to take surreptitious photos, they would root the phone and silence the camera anyway.

So please just offer the option openly for the sake of your customers.

• 1. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Silver Expert

Good luck, dude. I tried a while back to get them to consider it. It reportedly is a Sprint policy that isn't printed anywhere for all phones now. The root methods aren't hard for this fix. I was tired of my baby waking up all the time and being stared at when I'd take photos at weddings.

• 2. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    BOOTYGUARD671g Regular Visitor

There was actually a law passed saying phones in America now are required to have a shutter, because apparently there would be creeps taking pictures of people in public places, like bathrooms, dressing rooms,etc

• 3. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    arTim Expert

Is that seriously a law now?  Don't get me wrong...I don't want people taking pictures of my kids while they're doing their thing in a public bathroom, but there are already laws in place against that.  I also don't think a "click" sound would deter someone that sick from doing it anyway.  I guess that's one more reason to hold onto my Evo until it dies...you can shut off the shutter sound on it.

• 4. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    4ND01D5 Regular Visitor

The only 100% solution is to disconnect the speaker in your device or root there is no mandate or law sprint and samsung is to lazy to change the programming to allow for it here in to the US dont buy anymore new phones if you cant set the sound setting of your camera is the only solution they as a big company will understand.

• 5. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Howie_truth Regular Visitor

All you need is to find the app called "SimpleNotepad"  Works for photo and video.

BTW:  That so-called "law" is in South Korea not the US.

• 6. Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Billkirkp Regular Visitor

I just hold a finger over the speaker when taking a picture.

• 7. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Howie_truth Regular Visitor

Holding your finger over it does not silence the stupid shutter sound.  Like I said, just look around the Web for an app called "Simple Notepad."  Not only does it disable the sounds but it also has super stealth settings.  Now, if only this **** phone actually worked like a phone and did not have the WORST signal issues I have ever seen, everything would be peechy.

• 8. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    MinusTheGarbear Newbie

I agree with you fully 100%. This is rediculous, If I don't want my phone to make a loud click everytime I take a photo that should be my choice, not samsung or sprint's.

• 9. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    blue_Shift Valued Member

I think the inability to disable the shutter sound is a policy decision meant to protect the privacy of others. there is always someone out there who would start taking pictures in locker rooms, bathrooms, or in trade-secret environments if that sound were turned off. My wife, a teacher, considers this a very, very important feature.

• 10. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    jim12345678912345678 Newbie

Creepy people have no qualms about rooting their phones if it will allow them to be more creepy.  It is all of us un-creepy people who don't want to root our phone who have to suffer.  And your wife in her classroom and your kids in the locker room are just left with a FALSE sense of security because the creep taking a phone call next to the shower has a rooted phone.  If I had a camera that made as much noise as this phone when taking a picture, I would send it back as defective.  In my opinion, this is just one (in a very long line) of bad design decisions by Samsung.  I really wish I had known all of the little annoyances that come with this phone before I had bought it.  But, from what I have seen from my 2 weeks of ownership, that would be a pretty long list.

• 11. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    DAllan123 Newbie

This law was never passed in the U.S. It has been sitting in committee since 2009 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR00414:@@@X

You can pretty much assume that means it will never pass.

I would love to be able to take a video of my baby without him looking at my phone because of the loud noise it makes when the video starts.

If Sprint will not fix this problem, it would be nice if they would say what their reasoning is.

• 12. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

DAllan123,

The reason is to prevent people from taking pictures without others knowing.

• 13. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    Rickt69 Regular Visitor

I guess they should make a sound when the video mode is on ! Remember the super 8 sound out of the camera ? LOL I have mixed emotions on the subject ! I didnt like the shutter noise either out of my camera ! But I can see the Creepers of the world getting away with the Stealth mode when girls walking down stairs etc etc. Would you want your Daughter or Wife on the web ?

• 14. Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter
    jim12345678912345678 Newbie

@Dallen123L  If the reason is to prevent people from taking pictures without others knowing, then they have failed miserably.  This design "feature" doesn't prevent anyone from disconnecting the phone's speaker or rooting their phone and disabling the shutter sound.  All they have really succeeded in doing is making sure that only creepy people can use their phone to take pictures without others knowing.  The rest of us who aren't truly motivated to disable the shutter sound are left taking pictures of our daughters piano recitals and EVERYONE knowing, or taking pictures of our sleeping babies and waking them up.

There is a phrase I have found myself using a lot since buying this phone, and it apples here, too:  Epic Fail!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points