This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 3:37 PM by JB027 RSS

NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?

jratzz Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I am a loyal long term Nextel, now Sprint, client.  Over 15 yrs and completely satisfied with my service, thus far.  I have 2 lines, family share data plan.  My 3G phones are about to **** out.  I am interested in the Samsung Galaxy II and am willing to pay the $199 promo that I see online for NEW customers.  However, much to my dissapointment, this offer is NOT extended to existing clients.

I have spent ALOT of time on online chat and calling into *2  to get assistance, ending in only frustration.  I have been advised of the "early termination" fee of $90 on each line and have been told that I can then sign a NEW contract and get the deal for the 2 phones @ $199.

Why would Sprint give me the opportunity to explore other carriers by not working with me to keep my business?

-Why make me jump through hoops that ends in the same result?

I don't want to change carriers just to get equipment that works. 

• 1. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    DoNotRenewMyContract Newbie

I hear you and and cannot wrap my head around it either. I was DYING to get the iPhone.

Here's Sprint math:

Option #1

iPhone: $649

New Customer with 2 year contract: -$450

iPhone cost: $199

Option #2

iPhone: $649

Existing customer for over 7 years with another 2 year contract: -$150

iPhone cost: $499

Say I early cancelled and paid the $200 fee. Coming back as a new customer or adding a new line with a 2 year contract, iPhone cost to me: $399 (still $100 cheaper than giving a better upgrade to existing customers and a lot of hoops to jump through)

By logic, Sprint would rather have us leave or terminate phone lines and sign up for new ones than retain loyal customers.

I do not understand it. Maybe another carrier could explain it to me better. It's a shame though, I was happy with Sprint. I don't think I would have stayed this long had I not been.

Best of luck to you!

• 2. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    Valued Member

I have been asking the same question for a year, now. Until recently, I have not found any help. I was contacted by a Sprint employee on this forum, and offered help. While my problem has not been solved, I am at least getting some assistance to find a solution. Keep posting, and sooner or later, a Sprint employee that CAN help you will send you a message. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the store associates or the call center associates any more.

• 3. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

Hi jratzz,

The promotional phone pricing on Sprint’s website is available to both new and existing eligible Sprint customers with a 2 year agreement. Upgrades are based on the amount of time that has passed since the last upgrade discount which is every 20 months (22 months for contracts done prior to 10/2/11). The upgrade pricing is not available on lines that have not yet met the upgrade requirements since they are already in a contract.

I know that it can be frustrating to have a phone that is not working properly. If you would like to send me a private message I would be glad to look into the issues you are experiencing with your phone and provide the options we have available.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 4. Re: NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    Valued Member

Right, but if the customer was part of the Sprint Premier program, like me, they lost an upgrade when the program ended. I have been with Sprint for over 2 years, and still have not qualified for an upgrade. I got $75 off of one device, and I am now on my third device. So far, I have purchased 6 phones from Sprint on 2 lines..one line qualified for upgrade in 2010, and the other has still not qualified for upgrade price. I find it silly that it is less expensive for me to cancel my Sprint contract, pay the termination fee, and then sign right back up. As far as customer service goes, only one associate has tried to help me. All others have told me that I either pay full price, deal with a broken phone, or switch to AT&T. The one associate tried to help set me up for an early upgrade, but I haven't been able to get in touch with the supervisor that I am supposed to order my replacement from.

I just cannot understand why Sprint refuses to work with me. I think that I have spent more than enough money in the last 2 1/2 years...and jratzz at 15 years!!! I can't even get a polite "no" out of the associates on the phone or in the stores.

• 5. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

This is brought up almost weekly because people aren't uinderstanding the pricing. Sprint very rarely has different pricing for new/existing customers.

New customer signing a 2 year contract:

iPhone 4S 16GB: $649

iPhone 4S 16GB cost: $199

Existing customer that is eligible for their upgrade:

Existing customer with another 2 year contract: -$150

Existing customer additional savings: -$300

The only price difference comes if you are NOT ELIGIBLE for your upgrade yet. If you are eligible for your upgrade then the price is the same. You can check your upgrade eligibility at www.sprintrebates.com. If you are eligible for the upgrade, the pricing is identical.

• 6. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    jratzz Regular Visitor

Clarissa:  I understand what Sprint is doing, what I don't understand is WHY?  Your reply is exactly the same "script" I keep getting told on the phone.  Upgrade, really?  Why is this called an upgrade when a new or OLD/NEW can get the same deal?

It makes no logic whatsoever for Sprint to accept $199 for a phone for a NEW customer who signs a 2yr agreements and NOT accept my $199 per phone with a new 2 yr agreement extension.  I understand the cost of the equipment & the time it takes to recouple that $ affects this, but every case is different and Sprint HAS the option of working with longtime clients, just chooses not to.

- For example:  Sprint worked with me over the last 6 yrs.  I used online Chat with Sprint, prior to SmartPhone days, Sprint was offering LG Lotus for free for upgrade or NEW and I was successful in getting 2 new phones as well as 2 prior to that, which is exactly what I am trying to do today & I am WILLING to pay for the phones and am being told over and over NO.

Yet I can cancel my agreement, pay the termination fee & sign a new agreement and get what I want or I can pay the fee and move on to another carrier, which is what I dont really want to do.  Either way, seemingly Sprint could care less.  No offense directly to you Clarissa, it's frustrating when Customer Service has fallen off so badly it's not worth the time and effort to get a satisfactory result.  I am not giving up this fight.

I am not going to private message you nor am I going to purchase a refurbished pc of equipment.  I have several of my OLD phones in my OWN closet that I can swap service back to, I don't want to take a step back in time just to play a waiting game.

Thank you to all who replied, It helps to vent.

• 7. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

jratzz wrote:

Clarissa:  I understand what Sprint is doing, what I don't understand is WHY?  Your reply is exactly the same "script" I keep getting told on the phone.  Upgrade, really?  Why is this called an upgrade when a new or OLD/NEW can get the same deal?

This is how every major carrier's upgrade system is setup. New customers get the discounted price with a new contract. Existing customers get that same discoutned price when their contract is about to expire. Any phone purchase within that period would require purchasing the phone at a much higher price (usually full retail price). There is no script, this is how the system is setup pretty muc hacross the industry for post-paid contract service. pre-paid no-contract service is different since there are no discounts on phones at all.

• 8. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

I’m sorry for the confusion you have experienced with your upgrade eligibility. If you would like me to review your specific upgrade information and provide clarification, please send me a private message so that your account information remains confidential.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 9. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    jratzz Regular Visitor

First let me say that I understand the policy, I understand other carriers policies as well.  What I am personally dealing with is: I have 2 lines on a family share plan.  Our contract end dates are the same, both are Nov. 2012, one line is available for an upgrade, the other is not.  Thus, I can get one phone for the $199 but must wait 9 months for the other.  This will put my contract end dates 9 months apart and I am not willing to do this.

Secondly, I feel personally having had success on 3 other occassions in getting BOTH lines contract date the same AND getting NO COST equipment even though I was a few months ahead of contract end dates, has set a precedence for Sprint.  That is the sole reason I am pursing this.

I wish to remain a Sprint client, but am not opposed to seeing if the grass is greener with another carrier, even if it's short term and coming back to Sprint.

I hope for favorable results.

• 10. NEW customers get better phone deals than existing?
    JB027 Valued Member

New customer signing a 2 year contract:

Existing customer that is eligible for their upgrade:

Existing customer with another 2 year contract: -$150

Existing customer additional savings: -$300

It is not even worth upgrading your phone. I mean Sprint just  taking your  $150 upgrade from the existing dicount that new customers get now.  The way look at is for existing customes we should get $450 discount + are $150 phone upgrade discount. which would bring the Iphone 4s to $49 after discounts. If that not how should be than Sprint should not call it a phone upgrade discount. cause there no discount for existing customers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points