This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2012 8:56 PM by kamer88 RSS

HTC EVO 4G is not charging

S_Portie Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am having a little trouble getting my phone charged. Last night the phone died on me after i plugged it in on the charger. It took TWO HOURS to finally get it to get the solid orange light again. I went to sleep and the phone was fully charged the next morning. I go home and now the phone isnt charging. The solid light is still on right now but the green battery isnt moving, just sitting in place. Is this a charger or phone issue?

• 1. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    fireguy_6364 Master

if the phone was completly dead then it wont move for a while. once it hits a certain percentage on the battery the green battery icon will then start to move. couple questions though. are you using the original charger the phone came with? it took 2 hours for the amber light to even come on and it was plugged in the whole time? if this is the case plug it in and ever so slightly add try to change the angle the cable is sitting while its in the phone. theres a good chance that either the cable itself or the usb port is loose. if it all of a sudden lights up the LED then you just narrowed down your problem....again...do this VERY gently

• 2. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    Sprint Employee

fireguy_6364 is correct on all points - One other thing is to occasionally pull the back off and remove battery - wait two  minutes - and replace battery and power device back on or connect to charger. The power management program refreshes allocated memory by doing this so it is good preventative maintenance.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 3. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    bugstir72 Newbie

I'm having charging issues right after new update that happen just a couple of days ago.

Wall charger will not charge battery in phone. It shows that it is charging and shows a full charge, however when you unplug the charger it drops to where it was when you first plugged it in.

If you shut the phone off, then charge it.....Full charge all day long.

I even bought a desktop dual battery chargers thinking it was my wall charger, but it does it also with new dual charger.

New Android update is what the issue is....I even did a factory reset, so it is not an app !!

• 4. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    fireguy_6364 Master

if that were the case everyone would be having the same issue. for the most part it ends up being either the cable, wall charger/usb part or something going on with the phone. which as OKIESTRO pointed out a simple battery pull for no less than 2 minutes will usually fix.

on a side note does your phone seem to get hot while its charging? if so while this is happening pull up your running apps and see what all is running at that time.

• 5. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    bugstir72 Newbie

I know what you are saying. I have a complete seperate set of cables, charger, etc.

Removing the battery does not work either. As far as apps, I did a factory reset which cleaned the phone like I just took it out of the box. No fix.

I even have a hi capacity battery. That will almost last the day. However, both types of batteries will not charge while phone is on.

• 6. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    fireguy_6364 Master

currious but the other charger and cable you have. is it a stock htc one exactly like the one that came with the phone or a 3rd party one? i know the stock one puts out a higher amperage than most of the cables and chargers out there. if i remember right its 1amp. where most are at best 500mamp or however you say it lol. ive had a few cables that i have tested that did the exact same thing yours is doing. would show it was charging but in fact it was actually draining it.  yet it would work just fine on my girlfriends phone. same goes with her charger. charges her phone just fine..mine it will either drain or keep it right where it was when i plugged it in. not enough output. on the back of your HTC charger plug read what it says on there. should tell you the output of it (i would read mine but im currently at work and its at home..im also running the extended battery. 3500 mah)

• 7. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    bugstir72 Newbie

Even the stock cable and charger that came with the phone will not charge. It is just weird that this just started after a phone update.

The dual charger is from gorilla. Has a thick cable. Sure the unit is good since it is made to charge two batteries st once.

• 8. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    fireguy_6364 Master

cable thickness doesnt mean much. i just snagged a couple different cables that are supposedly for HTC phones. same thickness..same look..2 of them look identical to the stock one. they work on the gf's phone but mine hangs in the "LED lit up but its barely hanging in there" limbo. im still waiting on some feedback on how to locate the info/specs or part number for the original cable and charger for the evo 4G...so far no luck from anyone.

the stock one i have is still running strong..just dont want to be on the smelly end of the stick when it goes out and i have to either buy another phone or play russian roulette with the charging cables again.

• 9. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    fireguy_6364 Master

just thought about this. theres always the chance that your stock cable plug part is getting worn out and is no longer able to make a full contact while plugged in. might feel like a solid connection but it wouldnt be the first time in here that this has happened.

oh added onto the other post. the new cables i have i tested with my stock wall plug...one of them slightly worked but took 6 hours to charge my phone...stock cord took about 2ish..that was the closest winner i have had to date.

• 10. HTC EVO 4G is not charging
    kamer88 Newbie

I had the same problem last week on the February 2nd. I brought it into a Sprint store and was told the charging port wasn't working. 5 days later they I received a refurbished replacement. Sprint sucks. This is the 2nd time in 6 months I've had the phone replaced due to defective equipment. Both times they sent me refurbished phones when I pay $8 per month for the insurance. On top of that they credited my account $10 for the inconvenience and without a phone for 5 days. I can't wait until my contract is up because this customer of over 10 years is no longer going to be that to them. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points