This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 9:13 AM by tankrios13 RSS

HTC Evo 4G won't hold a charge

Harrypda Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

So here's the story.  February 4th, i decided to take my evo into to get repaired, as it wouldnt charge without putting pressure on the cable.  My local sprint store took a look at it, and determined it would be easier to just send me a replacement.  Two days later, my "new" phone came in, and i was overjoyed.  Of course, the first thing i do is plug it in to see if it charges.  Light comes on, which is a good sign.  I think all is well.  Then, on my way to work that same day, as im listening to Spotify, the phone just turns off.  i try re-connecting it to the travel charger in my car, and the amber light starts blinking.  20 minutes later, the amber light stops blinking and just turns off.  At this point I can no longer use my phone.  At work, i had tried putting my battery in a coworkers phone to see if it was a phone issue, and voila, the battery was charging.  I let it charge for a good hour before swapping the batteries again.  then, on my way home, i plug the phone back in to let it charge, only this time i monitor the charge.  The amber light says its "charging", but the battery percentage is decreasing.  So, I decide to take it back to my sprint store, and they give me the usual "1.5 - 2 hour" wait time.  So i wait, hoping they can find and fix the problem.  After 2 hours, one of the sprint representatives calls me up to talk to the technician working on my phone.  The technician asks me to describe what exactly was wrong with the phone, and i tell him.  He then proceeds to plug it in, see the amber light pop up, and give me this look as if saying "its working fine, are you crazy?" So i tell him that it does light up, but it doesnt charge.  He runs some diagnostics on the battery, and decides to send me ANOTHER replacement.  The next day, it comes in the mail, I plug it in, it charges, im happy.  I leave it plugged in overnight.  when i wake up, the phone is off, and the amber light is blinking.  Turns out, for some reason THIS phone wont charge either!  Ive tried swapping batteries, using stock AND 3rd party chargers, and it doesnt charge AT ALL.  Since my local sprint store cant help other than just send me replacement phones, im looking for help elsewhere.  Anybody know what a probable problem could be?  If i have to go back to that sprint store, ill  go mad.

• 1. HTC Evo 4G won't hold a charge
    fireguy_6364 Master

since you have gone though 3 phones and the only thing that hasnt changed is the charger i would point at that. it could either be a issue with the cord or the usb plug part itself. only problem with 3rd party chargers is not all of them are going to put out the same current as the stock one does...which is alot higher than the normal chargers you find.

example- my girlfriend can charge her phone on my stock charger and cable and it charges faster than her own. if i try to use her charger and cable it will either keep my phone at the exact charge that it already was or it will slowly drain while showing the amber LED. take the cord in and have it tested.  the blinking amber LED isnt normal though. only time i have seen any blinking is when the phone is over heating. which then it usually blinks amber/green

• 2. Re: HTC Evo 4G won't hold a charge
    Harrypda Newbie

Well, I have changed the  charger, both the cable and the adapter.  I've used stock HTC adapter  and cable, the amazon kindle stock adapter and cable, and an LG cable.  I  just ordered 2 new batteries and a brand new stock adapter and cable,  so hopefully that will fix it. 

And to clarify, the amber light is normal when the battery is  completely depleted.  But it isn't normal to stay that way for more than  a few minutes as the phone charges.

• 3. HTC Evo 4G won't hold a charge
    fireguy_6364 Master

ive had my phone dead in the water dead..and never had a blinking light. how it SHOULD work is amber until fully charged. unless over heated. then  you'll get the blinking light

• 4. HTC Evo 4G won't hold a charge
    tankrios13 Newbie

I had a very similar problem, i got a message to update my evo's software a few days ago, i had it on the charger and then it just died, i figured it was because the update most likely drained my battery. Then it started blinking the amber light and i looked it up and it said it was because the battery was extremely dead and would be fine after about 20 minutes. Well ever since that update my phone WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE. yesterday it finally reached its peak it was on the charger ALL NIGHT and it didnt charge at all im still at a red bar w/ 15%. I've tried different chargers ive changed the battery everything i could think of and my phone still hasnt charged! i dont understand it was working perfectly fine before the update. any suggestions...cause i could use some HELP!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points