1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2012 1:34 AM by BLUREYNE RSS

Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues

phroh Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I don't remember this being a problem with my Evo 4g. But with this phone, it seems I am having to reboot every time I try to check in somewhere on Foursquare and Yelp to get thos Apps to recognize my location. It keeps pulling places at my home instead of where I am currently at. Anybody else have issues with that? I was at one location for several hours, and it still thought I was across town at home. I figure this will mess with my driving directions if I ever need to use it in a pinch as well.

I have Lookout security on my phone but turned it off without it having any impact.

Any ideas?

• 1. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

There are many threads regarding the poor GPS on the Epic touch and so far no solutions.  Some people have said you can download GPS apps like "GPS test" from market and clear the AGPS and that will help get a lock but in my experience it doesn't always help.  Also you can try switching to airplane mode then switch back and sometimes it will help but again not always.  Hope fully Samsung will deal with this issue but in the meantime your rebooting solution is about the best I've seen.  Good luck, Rick

P.S.  I have had to use this "in a pinch" and have had it fail, fortunately I had a backup GPS

• 2. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

phroh,

As rick.spencer stated we are receiving reports of GPS issues on the Epic Touch and there has been a lot of communication between our technicans and device group; our device group has been aggressively investigating this issue lately. We are trying to gather more information on that specific work around that rick.spencer posted, if you would like to provide your results after testing the clearing of AGPS I will relay it to our device group. Just download GPS test from the market then:

1. Open the application

2. Hit menu and select Clear AGPS from the upper left part of the screen (there will be a quick popup while the request is processed)

3. Hit the back key, wait 30 seconds and see if the satellites populate in the main screen

4. Try the application again

• 3. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    KMcMurtrie Valued Member

Return your defective phone.

I was having problems where I needed to periodically download GPS-A data for GPS to work.  It could almost never acquire a lock without cell tower assistance and it definitely couldn't hold it.  I returned my phone to Samsung for repairs and GPS is fixed after they replaced an unspecified component.  It can now acquire a lock in under a minute and hold it while moving. Judging by the enormous number of complaints against this phone, I'd guess that early models don't work and they're just now replacing the original hardware.

Samsung did not repair the problem where the phone randomly heats up and runs its battery dead when it should be idle.  They'll probably see this dud coming back in the mail again.

• 4. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Silver Expert

fellas,

This really isn't a "GPS" problem per se but that is a contributing issue.  This phone does a terrible job of refreshing its NETWORK BASED LOCATION at all.  That's why those apps don't work, they are asking for the location based off the network and then the GPS.  The GPS in this phone would be greatly improved if they would fix the Network location issue first, then it would have a snowballs chance in he.ll of finding its location.  That and improving the data speeds on Sprints anemic network would also help.  The network location on EL29 is the worst of any of the "upgrades".  Sprint has no input on this phone, its whatever Samsung wants to do and they don't really communicate very much apparently.

I really wish they would just admit that this phone's GPS sucks, because it does.  I use GPS every single day, every time I get in the car.  It is reliable about 1 time out of 4, which is far too low of an average for a $600 phone. 

There is a leak for ICS in the pipeline as discovered via RDF files on Sprint.  I would highly imagine that this won't be fixed in that either.  It's pretty pitiful.

• 5. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Silver Expert

To test this, you can turn your phone off, then turn it back on.  Find your location on Google maps.  Drive to a different location in the city and then try to find your location again.  You'll be sitting right where you were the first time you started up your phone.  If you turn your phone off and then back on, it'll refresh.

• 6. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

mmark27_,

I'm really trying to push this issue and get as much information as possible for our device team to provide Samsung enough examples and information. So I'm going to quote something from one of our device team members, which I believe you probably already know but posting for others to clarify...

Selecting

Use GPS satellites

turns on fine location information when in clear view of the sky only (autonomous GPS). If you are indoors this will not get a fix. The phone will need a clear view of the sky in order to get a fix.

Selecting

Use Wireless Networks

turns on rough location fixes based on CDMA tower location or WIFI access points.

If using Wi-Fi you will get a pretty good location fix. Using towers only you will be off by a larger margin. This is expected. This is also why you see the Improve My Location popup when you enter Google Maps that prompts the user to turn on Wi-Fi.

If both Use Wireless Networks AND GPS satellites are turned on the device will find location using a rough fix first that will be refined as additional information from the application is requested. In some applications they may only request location information once and stop. In others they may request precise location information which will be updated as time continues.

For example:

When sitting inside a coffee shop we are using the nearest location the network can provide as autonomous GPS is not available when under a roof (Generally speaking unless right by a large window). It is a rough fix based on network settings.

Now with that being said, could you post your experience with using ONLY the GPS satellites setting being in your car and traveling around? Also when your using the GPS Test application how many satellites are showing for In View vs. In Use? The more information we get the better chance we have of getting anything done.

• 7. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Silver Expert

Hi Shane,

this is what I usually see for about 20 minutes before I get a lock.  This would be connecting my phone to the dock and turning on the GPS test.  I SEE a lot of satellites but nothing locks on. This will usually go on for 10, maybe 15 or even 20 or so minutes while driving.  Other times, it will lock right away.  If I reboot the phone, notice that it will fresh lock a NETWORK location, then it locks pretty quickly.  So of course the work around is continually rebooting the phone, but this isn't how these phones should work and you and Sprint know that.  Please for the love of Jehova, fix this thing.

Oh, also, I NEVER get a SNR over like 21-23.  most times everything is always orange and yellow.  I don't have the screen shot with me, but my wife's Evo Shift gets green signals in the 60s.  So this is specifically an Epic 4G Touch issue.

I SC20120215-073906.png

• 8. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    KMcMurtrie Valued Member

From what I gather, early production phones are defective.  It could receive 3 to 6 satellites with a clear view of the sky but they were not usable for a lock.  Downloading A-GPS data (manually or with network assistance) would provide a temporary GPS lock.  Samsung replaced an unspecified component under warranty and now it receives and quickly locks on to 8 to 9 sattelites without any other assistance.

Samsung did not address my complaint that the phone heats up while in standby and runs the battery dead.  Maybe I need to return it again.

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Silver Expert

This is as good as it ever gets. Notice I've got lock, but it's weak. These were both walking the dog so wide open skies, especially to the south.

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

mmark27_ wrote:

This is as good as it ever gets. Notice I've got lock, but it's weak. These were both walking the dog so wide open skies, especially to the south.

Its the same for me.  I even did the factory reset but the best I got was similar to your attachment. 

Shane_M:  If you like I could send you data or screenshots re: my Epic Touch' GPS performance,  Rick

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Unique12345 Newbie

We all know that feeling.  I had as many as (I think) 14 satellites the other day and it never locked on during my 35-minute drive home.

First (and last) Samsung product.

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

rick.spencer,

Yes! Please, as much information and examples as possible.

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    frst Regular Visitor

It is very good to see someone from Sprint actively looking into this issue and communicating with people here.  I too have a Galaxy S2 and it is experiencing the same issues.  Although a couple things need clarification:

1) Many people are saying they have had issues with GPS and Network Location services since they bought the phone.  I have not had these issues since purchase (early December).  I have only had these issues since the last over the air update, which was about a month ago.  Something in that update affected this issue on my phone.

2) I used Tasker, and I did not ever turn GPS active unless I was about to use Google Maps.  Tasker used the Network Location services to determine what tower my phone was broadcasting to/from and enabled/disabled wi-fi when I was at home or at work.  As of right now, Network Location services does not work at all unless I have just rebooted my phone or I am connected to wi-fi.  Now obviously my phone is not communicating with a tower that is 12 miles away right now, but according to Google Maps and Tasker, the Network Location services believes that it is.

I will also grab the GPS Test app and post results.

• 14. Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues
    SAXOPHONE7 Regular Visitor

There are two separate issues here. First, the stock GPS is terrible (which I don't think is what this thread is about). Second, the EL29 update borked the network based location updates. So, programs like weather and tasker will no longer pull location fixes unless they are allowed to use the GPS (and it feels like working). Following the info here I was able to fix the problem on my phone (reverting to an older version of google.android.location). This is one of the more serious screwups I've seen in an update in a while, I am surprised this hasn't been addressed...

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points