This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 3:04 PM by carolinagirl38D RSS

ICS update

shannon6822 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I really cannot begin to voice my frustration with Sprint!! When we purchased this phone in August of 2011 the man at my local store in Hixson, TN assured me that my area would have 4G coverage in our area in by the end of the summer. Ok well needless to say we still dont have 4G capability! Not only was lied to so the man could get a f*****g sale, but now its considered at the EOL. So I will never be able to use 4G and my phone will not be getiing the ICS update!! It is not officially on the denied list, but if Sprint is no longer carrying this phone, the odds of them updating it are slim. Not only did I pay for two of the phones that will never live up to their full potential I had to sign a f*****g 2 year agreement that says I will keep these outdated phones for 2 years!!! This is total bullsh*t!! The phones werent cheap and neither is monthly bill. If you ask Sprint they never know nothing about nothing, I want a new phone at discounted price or I WANT WHAT I AM PAYING FOR!! JERKS!!

• 1. Re: ICS update
    smotrs Master

Don't rule it out completely, Sprint is still releasing updates for the EVO 4G and there have been reports that HTC is working on an ICS update for the Thunderbolt which is basically the same phones as the Supersonic but on Verizon. So if they can do it on the Thunderbolt, there's no reason they can't do it on the 4G.

Will it happen? Don't know, up to Sprint but I doubt it. Why? Simply put, Sprint would have to remove allot of the bloatware, e.g. Kindle, Flash, Reader, Blockbuster, etc.. in order for the end user to be able to install at their discretion and move to SD card. And they aren't likely to do that.

• 2. ICS update
    fireguy_6364 Master

theres a little  bit of light at the end of that tunnel...they allowed the removal of the bloatware on the 3D...so you never know...still unlikely...but every so slight of hope

• 3. Re: ICS update
    smotrs Master

In case anyone is interested, Verizon recently made there announcment of which phones will be receiving ICS. Interestingly, the Thunderbolt is on this list. The Thunderbolt is very similar in spec to the EVO 4G. So there's not much reason why it couldn't be done for the EVO 4G.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

• 4. Re: ICS update
    MikeP6147 Regular Visitor

The HTC evo 4g is at the end of its life. Its has a 1 g procesor and 512 ram. Not enough for ICS. I just got off the phone with htc tech. I also bought this phone 8/2011.

I am intrested in NFC which I am told ICS brings to the table. The tech at HTC told me not to count on it. He transerred me to SPrint, and hoestly the tech person.... ( who left somthing to be desired) probably more knowledgable on the lates R7B or rap artist kept putting me on ho,d and then trying to ask me questions and never got around to the answere of any of mine. I dont mean to rant, but I was hopin for at least a year out of this device. It was outdated before I bought it.

• 5. Re: ICS update
    fireguy_6364 Master

its been alive and kicking for what? 2 years now? longer living than most phones.

• 6. Re: ICS update

and this matters why? I just got this phone, and was told it was cutting edge, alotta updates coming, great things.... sales man hard at work...... and now. It was outdated before I got it./????? just sayin....

• 7. Re: ICS update
    fireguy_6364 Master

meaning not many phones make it this far before its EOL. the evo is still one of the most sold phones out there...doesnt mean they can continue to kick out OS updates for it...just because you just got the phone doesnt mean. as it was stated above it just doesnt have the internal memory to be able to handle it. i recomend doing research on top of what youre told. i have been past my re up time for my contract for about a year now...why so long? because i researched the current phones and none of them had what i wanted..or had a bad rap already. heck 28 posts so youre not exactly new to the forums and you could have searched out the threads to see what all was said about it.

the majority of this ^^^ is more FYI than anything.

im sure this phone will get more updates...but they will be maintenance updates...not OS updates..

• 8. Re: ICS update

Well I am disheartened, not because the evo is a bad phone, but because It was misrepresented I feel. The phone has been everything I wanted it to be, except the NFC. ICS brings NFC to the table, which I feel will be the critical update that will outdate alotta phones from the gate.

This is the future. They new it, I was told it would come with the froyo, but uppon activation it would automatically update to the cookie cutter, and then more would follow. The ICS is critical for any smart phone I feel. This technology is 10 years old in japans markets. By no means am I a tech person. I just think NFC is here, has been here, and this phone was mis represented. 6 monthst after I am sold a cutting edge peice of technology, it was and already recieved its last update upon activation.

I am disheartened is how to put it best. 22 months till me next upgrade SPrint tells me. Thats along time when you start with an outdated phone.

• 9. Re: ICS update
    fireguy_6364 Master

i agree with you there. and this wouldnt be the first time i have heard of this happening sadley. ICS would be great..but currently my phone is working pretty well (except for the sprint-verizon text issue) and dont have any awe inspiring need to go through yet another bug filed update lol.

• 10. Re: ICS update
    carolinagirl38D Expert

Hi to all. Yep, got an EVO. Gone through eight of them to get one that works up to advertised speculations. I love my EVO, always have; even with all my issues. Because of all my contact with Sprint and HTC, I've got some interesting contacts. When the ICS update list was first published and didn't have it the EVO on it, I began asking around - will the EVO 4G be getting ICS. Both HTC and Sprint assured me it would. Hmmm I thought. I waited, checking all the official update lists. Nope, no EVO. Lots of custom ROMs out there that fit on the phone and run just fine. Hmmm, if devs can do it, why can't Sprint/HTC do it? Then, the most amazing thing happened: HTC released an "official unlocker" for the EVO!!! AND it reports your use of this "official unlocker" to... (drum roll, please) Sprint. This is so weird!!! My contract is up on Apr first and I really don't know what to do. If the company solution is to unlock your phone and go outside the Sprint/HTC system, allowing them to disavow any responsibility, I'm not real comfortable with that. Maybe Android isn't ready for prime-time. iOS - never. WM8, maybe. A few honest answers would be nice. Is the EVO 4G an orphan phone or not? Up - down. Yes - no. Maybe and almost or sorta just doesn't cut it on a phone that was their flagship device.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points