This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 6:24 PM by Stormprobe RSS

Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?

jorgeildv Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Everyone are asking, what is SV-DO? I'll Explain...

• Simultaneous Voice and Data enables CDMA2000 users to access the web,  send emails, play games, view photos, watch videos and use data  intensive GPS navigation option like updating maps or downloading  traffic info while simultaneously communicating on a phone call.
  • Previously, if a subscriber accepted a voice call while using the data  connection (e.g., while viewing a video), the data session would be  suspended.
  • Most dual-antenna EV-DO devices will support SVDO through the use of a  separate transmitter and receiver for the active 1X voice and EV-DO data  traffic.
  • No changes to network infrastructure is necessary to implement SVDO.

This will be an advantage for Sprint if the implement this. almost all smartphones of the company appears to be compatible with this technology.

I really want words of Sprint Directly and your opinions guys...

• 1. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    Sprint Employee

I forwarded this to wingland and he will reply as time permits.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 2. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    wingland Sprint Admin

SV-DO was announced as part of the 1X Advanced standards in late 2009.  Unlike consumer equipment, it takes a while for telecom hardware companies to move forward with new standards.  Now in early 2012 we are rolling out new hardware under Network Vision that will enable support for new frequencies, better coverage, and 1X Advanced features, including SV-DO.

We do not have a committed timeline for rolling out 1X Advanced features in conjunction with Network Vision, but it is on the roadmap.  With the new Network Vision software defined radios controlled in datacenters, we'll be able to quickly roll out 1X Advanced features as the technology changes and the handsets support it.

Thanks for the question - sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Will

• 3. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    InThe225 Expert

SVDO is a handset enhancement-- it doesn't require special network protocols.  What it DOES require is 2 CDMA baseband processors- one for 1x voice/SMS and the other for 3G EVDO data.  The HTC Thunderbolt and Rezound on Verizon accomplish this by using their Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC's built-in CDMA baseband for a 1x link while using their MDM9600 for EVDO or LTE baseband simultaneously.  The upcoming LG Viper (LS-840) on Sprint was approved by the FCC on January 9 and it was tested for SVDO and SVLTE functionality-- it will support SVDO with 1x/1xA and EVDO.Rev. 0/A/B.  It also will support LTE in the 1900 MHz PCS band that Sprint hopes to deploy later this year, primarily in current WiMAX markets.

• 4. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    Will88012 Valued Member

This is what I get out this bla bla bla bla.......... Don't expect it for another 5 or 6 years. LOL Sorry Sprint but your to slow and rolling out new and exciting technology.

• 5. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    wingland Sprint Admin

That's all well and good , when you have spare EVDO channels laying around.  Same with EVDO RevB.  Needs more (existing) channels.

We're not in a great coverage position with EVDO channels.  Network Vision is our program to fix that.

And for the 5-6 year comment?  I'd expect to see changes in 2-3 years for 1X Advanced rollout.  We do not have a firm timeline but it's on our roadmap as part of the 3 year Network Vision program.

Can't say a lot more than that, but Bob Azzi will be hosting a readout later this month with more information and answers.

Thanks

Will

• 6. Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    InThe225 Expert

Not sure what relevance your more existing channels comment is with regard to Rev. B.  Your new SDR radios with network vision will have to support 64 QAM for LTE use, which is the additional mode of operation for Rev. B versus Rev. A.  If you change your existing carrier to Rev. B, it can now do up to 4.9 mbps when a Rev B device is using it (basically every Sprint phone from the EVO 4G on except for Samsung's devices).  That same carrier will function as a Rev. A or 0 carrier when those devices connect to it.  In markets where you have 2, 3, or up to 20 EVDO carriers, you can aggregate them together as well to get multiples of this data rate, but you don't need dedicated carriers.  You can run a single EVDO Rev. B carrier on a tower that will support Rev. 0, A, & B devices at their rated speeds.  The multi-carrier aggregation is an additional feature.  I cannot imagine any market where you wouldn't have to run at least 3-4 EVDO carriers per tower anyway to maintain 600 kbps minimum speeds during daytime hours-- except maybe in Wyoming or Montana or somehwere really rural.

• 7. Re: Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    jorgeildv Regular Visitor

to Wingland, the HTC EVO LTE will have SV-DO in CDMA Network? I know you'll talk and surf with LTE (because the CDMA is for calls/sms and LTE is for Data). And now, Sprint says that will make room in the 800MHz radio to put the LTE system, is that true?

• 8. Re: Why Sprint don't use the SV-DO Technology?
    Stormprobe Regular Visitor

The HTC EVO 4G LTE has SV-DO. I have that phone and I can verify that it works.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points