5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 9:31 AM by T1MANATOR RSS

Power button not working?

ponlaluz Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My Nexus S 4G's power button has stopped working for no apparent reason. The phone itself functions, but the power button does not. It is a physical problem, not a software issue. I have taken very good care of my phone, and I have had it for less than a year (about 9 months actually). I took it into the Sprint store three days ago, and they restored function to it and said they would waive the charge (I didn't even know there was a charge, the employee didn't say anything about a charge before he fixed it! what if they didn't waive it?). However, a few hours ago the button stopped working again. I am worried that if I go back in they are going to charge me for service, when I don't have the funds to pay for it and I also think it is ridiculous that I have to pay to fix a phone that breaks for no reason. Is there anything I can do? Will they actually charge me if I bring it in again? Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Power button not working?
    patrickmoore27 Regular Visitor

You may have to pay $35.  This is Sprint's warranty policy as they will fix the phone for $35 at any point in a phone's life (after 14 day return window).  This is a great advantage because the other option (which is "free") is to send the phone to Samsung yourself and wait for them to fix and then send it back to you (you probably pay shipping both ways).  This free fix also expires after 1 year (and Sprint's $35 warranty exchange policy does not expire).  Sprint's policy gets a new phone in your hands the same day.

• 2. Re: Power button not working?
    ponlaluz Newbie

But why did Sprint sell me a faulty product? I mean, phones don't just stop working if you take good care of them, and I took care of mine. No drops or scratches. I understand if wear and tear occurs, but breaking in less than a year? That is just absurd.

• 3. Re: Power button not working?
    patrickmoore27 Regular Visitor

It's not a faulty product, I have had a Nexus S 4G for about the same time as you (since July 2011) and I promise you that I am a really heavy user.  It's probably defective (Sprint can not meticulously open every box and look over EVERY individual phone they sell), which is what is covered by either Samsung's 1 year warranty or Sprint's $35 exchange.

• 4. Re: Power button not working?
    Bob_McNoodlie Regular Visitor

The warranty is through the manufacturer. If you do not wish to pay the $35, contact Samsung.

• 5. Re: Power button not working?
    T1MANATOR Newbie

It's a Samsung issue, there are tones of disccusions about this phone's power button issues online.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points