This discussion is archived
1 2 3 17 Previous Next 242 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2012 7:58 AM by Olo123 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - FC09

Enhancements/Fixes

- Force close error when receiving a call 

- Sprint Connections Optimizer

Important Notes

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.FC09

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 6 weeks

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

- Refer to the Sprint Connections Optimizer blog for more info on this feature

Message was edited by: mapesy who fixed the Sprint Connections Optimizer link

• 1. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    Firehawk_1066 Valued Member

will this fix the issue where voicemails are only played back through the rear loud speaker?

• 2. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    THEREALDC110 Regular Visitor

Is there a PRL update at the end of the OS update?  Asking because phone was lit up as if it did some kind of update, than went in to a PRL update.  When it says "needs to reset radio", I got a force close.  Powered down, pulled batterey.  Took forever to come back "UP".  Version still EL30 w/ another force close on PRL update.  Also screen no longer times out.  Soft buttons do, but not screen.

• 3. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

The update should he change the version to FC09  sound like the update may not have installed correctly or at all. You may want to got to a service and repair store to see if they can update over the wire.

• 4. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    Paul_8700 Regular Visitor

- Q:  How much device memory is used for Sprint Connections Optimizer?

A: Customer’s accessible memory is not used.  The Sprint Connections Optimizer feature is stored in the system partition. 

From http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/services/blog/2012/03/26/sprint-connections-optimizer FAQ

Why can't you give real answers? How much RAM will this use? its a vary simple question.

also will the Blotware be moved to the data patition so we can use & remove what we want/need on our own phones? amazonmp3, games, NASCAR the crapy NFL app, Sprint TV etc...? I think i speek for 1000's if not 10's of 1000's of people when i say we paid for the phone & want to use the finite amount of data storage as we see fit.

• 5. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

Paul_8700 wrote:

also will the Blotware be moved to the data patition so we can use & remove what we want/need on our own phones? amazonmp3, games, NASCAR the crapy NFL app, Sprint TV etc...? I think i speek for 1000's if not 10's of 1000's of people when i say we paid for the phone & want to use the finite amount of data storage as we see fit.

If all the "bloatware" as you call it was moved to the data partition it would actually leave those users that use those apps with less space...because now they are using space in the data partition instead of the system partition which the user wouldn't notice and isn't accessible to the user.

The only way to really free up that space by moving the pre-installed apps to the data partition would be to repartition the phone and make the system partition smaller while adding the space to the data partition. Not only would that completely wipe the phone, it would be just asking for loads of problems with bricked phones and most likely wouldn't be able to be done with an OTA update.

Short answer...no, that's not going to happen.

The connections optimizer app is about 450KB and uses about 3MB of RAM.

• 6. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    wacnkwc Regular Visitor

I know it wasn't listed specifically in the fix list, but does this update fix the phone so you can once again adjust the in-call volume without using a work-around?

• 7. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

wacnkwc,

I just confirmed with our device team that it does not address the in-call volume issue, if you are experiencing that though we are looking for additional information because we only received a small number of reports about it. If you would like I can create a ticket for you to take the phone into a corporate Sprint repair location so we can gather information and possibly collect it as a sample to send to our device team.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

• 8. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    JasonF80 Newbie

Is there any chance that this will change the incoming call screen.  The incoming call screen before the EL30 release was much easier to use. 

• 9. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

JasonF80 wrote:

Is there any chance that this will change the incoming call screen.  The incoming call screen before the EL30 release was much easier to use.

No. I believe the change in that screen was due to the lawsuit from Apple...along with removing the colored squares from around the app icons.

• 10. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    JasonF80 Newbie

Poor Apple.. 

Cant they find something else to do.  Sorry, I find Apple merchandise to be over priced cheap merchandise.  

• 11. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    Paul_8700 Regular Visitor

I have also seen this bug with the in-call volume. Do the devs even own this phone? have they ever owned the phone they work on? have they ever uesd it outside of the lab they work in? I dont understand at this point in the phones life being on the market how any one that uses the phone & is working on fixing it could have not seen all the bugs still in it.

I do really like the new incoming call screen i always thought the old one looked dumb. Maybe not how it worked or where the button where but the colors where

hideous

Do you have a link to the sprint policy that makes camera phones make the shutter sound? If this is really true & sprint has this policy its like Ford installing breath alcohol ignition interlock devices on all F-150's in a recall that you have NO choice in as the paying customer. Even though most owners never drive drunk. There is no logic in this so called policy cameras do NOT make dumb sounds why should a phone make a dumb sound. It makes the camera useless for taking pics of wildlife, pets or a cute sleeping baby.

• 12. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    SlipperyPete79 Newbie

What is the timeframe for this update?  Haven't received it yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read original post.  6 weeks.

• 13. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09
    LR3799 Regular Visitor

Question with Sprint Connection Optimizer how can we get info to what Phones would be able to be on a call and also be able to use data? Still Using
    EL122 and don't want to update software unless I know it will be worth it and that in My Opinion will be worth be upgrading to FC09

• 14. Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

LR3799 wrote:

Question with Sprint Connection Optimizer how can we get info to what Phones would be able to be on a call and also be able to use data? Still Using
    EL122 and don't want to update software unless I know it will be worth it and that in My Opinion will be worth be upgrading to FC09

Your question doesn't have anything to do with the connection optimizer. The connection optimizer just choses you best data connection (4G, wifi or 3G) automatically for you without having to turn each one on or off on your own and manually connect.

You can use 4G or wifi data on a call. You cannot use 3G / 1x data on any phone on Sprint while on a call due to the CDMA techonolgy used.

1 2 3 17 Previous Next