This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 12:48 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

HTC Evo 4G low disk space

Rayh911 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have the low disk space icon and message on my Evo, and because of this Im unable to download or update any apps.  Every app that Ive downloaded (that did not come on phone), Ive moved to the SD card.  My internal storage still reads only 28MB free.  This hasnt been an issue before, but its happened once recently (deleted an app and clearing cache's on a few of em fixed it).  After a few weeks, and a lot of updating...the icon is back.  Any info or solutions would be great, thanks !

• 1. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    Markie_B Sprint Employee

Rayh911,

The updates unfortunately take up memory and not override the previous version so that is one thing that can cause you memory issues. The other is text messages and any emails that you may have on your phone as they are stored in your phone memory as well. I read that you cleared your cache for the apps but have you done so for the Internet as a whole as well as clearing the cookies? (open browser>select menu>more>settings>scroll to Privacy configuration section> clear all cookie data> clear cache)  Also deleting voicemails will also free up memory space on your EVO as well.

Markie_B

• 2. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

It sounds like you pretty much know how to manage the memory usage on the phone. I just want to add that apps have the ability to cache information to the same memory and over time some of these apps may accrue a very large amount of cached memory. You can clear the app's memory by clicking the 'clear data' button in the manage applications screen which will cause the app to lose any data that was saved, so be careful which apps' memory you clear. You should also hit the menu button and select to sort the list by memory used so that the apps using the most memory will show at the top. I hope this helps!

-Donnie

• 3. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    Rayh911 Regular Visitor

I dont really have stored texts, and not really many emails.  I did the internet thing...cleared history, cache, cookies, etc...and I got an extra 4mb of memory, which only brought me to 33mb left. I always assumed if you update an app that is on the SD card...the updates would go to the SD card where the app is at. 

• 4. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    Markie_B Sprint Employee

In the instances of those apps it does, however for the other apps that are not stored on your SD card, as they update it adds on and not overrides. I had to find out just like you are doing now with the low storage icon. I now have 46 MB left on my phone and I just remember to empty my voicemails and text messages and emails. Also any software updates and/or firmware updates for the phone itself will take away some of the memory as well. Your only other option is to do a hard reset and start over with a clean slate.

Markie_B

• 5. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    Rayh911 Regular Visitor

Actually, Donalien, I looked into what you said and realized that my facebook was using over 60MB of data haha...I cleared data, re-oppened and logged back in...and the problem is fixed...thanks ! 

• 6. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

No problem!

• 7. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    zSalesGuy Valued Member

All applications save way too much data, and over time they accumulate barnacles. I had 30 MB free, was constantly getting the out of space message when I updated or added an App. I just did a factory reset, restored all my apps from SD copies created by Astro File Manager, and now have everything back with 220 MB free. That's a reduction of 190 MB of barnacles. I highly recommend an annual factory refresh.

Here's how:

Install Astro File Manager.

Open it.

Select Application Backup at the bottom of the screen.

Select all apps by clicking the arrow near the top.

Click Backup - it takes a minute

This only backs up the apps. I don't know how to back up texts or contacts. I use Google voice, so he saves the texts, and contacts are saved by Microsoft Exchange. Your mileage may vary.

Then do the factory reset.

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and release the Power button
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Now download Astro FIle manager from the market.

Click Backup Applications, Backed Up Apps at the top. Select only the current version that you want restored.

You will now be back where you were before, but with far more storage.

• 8. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    LMGETCH Newbie

Rather than do a factory reset, I would recommend Uninstalling updates, on the apps you don't use...like the ones sprint puts on the phone. I freed up over 140MB. It takes the apps back to their factory setting without losing all your stuff from your phone. Going forward, I am going to much more selective on which apps I update instead of updating all.

• 9. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    mavka Expert

Before you do anything drastic, I suggest you consider App Cache Cleaner (free app, and not a product endorsement). I've read some good testimonials in Android forums, and for me personally it freed up 17M the first time I tried it. You can find it in Google Play Store.

• 10. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    Xa3phod Newbie

Does uninstalling programs like Amazon MP3 have any effect on the phone? I don't use that program and would love to just delete it. Any advice?

• 11. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

The pre installed programs can not be uninstalled  but do not take up the phone storage space  Generally that will be downloaded application   SMS messages internet cache and other applications cached data.   Deleting unneeded SMS messages  and clearing the application caches is the    fastest way to get memory back

• 12. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    cityw5 Expert

I discovered that apps stored on the SD card can still use space on the phone, and clearing the cache of apps on my SD card, significantly increased internal storage as well! Also, uninstall updates to the Kindle app -- that thing ballooned with updates, and uninstalling them will get you back about 20 MB of internal memory.

• 13. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    htcevo4g323 Newbie

I normnally don't answer question because I feel that if these corporation want to hire inferior foreign developer then they should fix the proplems and not rely on US talent to help solve issues other are being paid to do.  But I think that this one is important.  This problem was created by the developers themselves updates to facebook kindle and several other that come on your phone by default cant be deleted so updates to these apps eat up your storage.  Also the .mail file if your not using gmail grows forever.  Ask your self why put apps on you never asked for and cant delete. Blockbuster, Kindle etc. Why sell u a phone with default apps that eat storage.  I guess that was executive decision worthy of million dollar bonus.

• 14. Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space
    fireguy_6364 Master

if it makes you feel any better you can disable those built in apps and you'll never have to worry abou them trying to update and take up space.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...