This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 12:22 AM by ANNA_1345 RSS

HTC EVO 4G: Sync doesn't find Device, phone doesn't recognize HTC Sync

ANNA_1345 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

So I can't get my phone to find HTC Sync no matter what I do and HTC Sync doesn't recognize my device no matter what I do. I want to be able to back up everything to my computer -- pics, contacts, etc. I have no idea how to do this and have no idea if HTC Sync is even the right thing to use. I already have my apps backed up to my SD card using ASTRO files. Can't I just unmount my SD card and plug it into my computer to transfer everything? How do I do this?

• 1. Re: HTC EVO 4G: Sync doesn't find Device, phone doesn't recognize HTC Sync
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

I would suggest you to delete existing HTC Sync Software and download  SW from http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/  don’t plug your phone to pc  when you download the HTC Sync Software. Reboot pc after SW download.  Connect your device to the computer with the supplied USB cable. Or, if your device is already connected, press and hold the status bar and drag your finger down to open the Notifications panel. Then tap the status that shows Select to change USB connection type. On the Connect to PC screen in your device, tap HTC Sync and then tap Done. Your device attempts to find HTC Sync on your computer. Wait for a few seconds for the process to finish. When your device finds HTC Sync, your computer will display the Phone Connection Wizard. Click Next. Enter the name you want for your device, and then click Finish.  Check the HTC Sync icon at the bottom-right side of your computer screen. If it appears green in color, that means your device has successfully connected with your computer and HTC Sync recognizes your device.

Let me know

Abe

• 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G: Sync doesn't find Device, phone doesn't recognize HTC Sync
    edotddot Newbie

I have the same issue if anyone can find a fix! I have successfully synced before but it's been awhile. Thanks! Edie

• 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G: Sync doesn't find Device, phone doesn't recognize HTC Sync
    mavka Expert

I understand the desire to back things up, but you may be able to get what you want without HTC Sync. First, you can sync your contacts to your Google account, so that's backed up. To be sure you've got Google account sync turned on, go to Settings->Accounts&Sync, then look for an entry in the "Manage accounts" list for Google. You should see an entry for your Google account (it will show your email address as the account ID). Tap the Google entry, and you'll see a list of options you can check to sync to Google, and one of those options is Contacts. Also, you'll notice there is an entry to sync Picasa web albums. That will upload your pics to the Picasa site. To make yourself feel better, go check the Picasa site to make sure your pics are syncing there. You say you have your apps covered. What else would you like to back up?

• 5. Re: HTC EVO 4G: Sync doesn't find Device, phone doesn't recognize HTC Sync
    ANNA_1345 Regular Visitor

mavka wrote:

I understand the desire to back things up, but you may be able to get what you want without HTC Sync. First, you can sync your contacts to your Google account, so that's backed up. To be sure you've got Google account sync turned on, go to Settings->Accounts&Sync, then look for an entry in the "Manage accounts" list for Google. You should see an entry for your Google account (it will show your email address as the account ID). Tap the Google entry, and you'll see a list of options you can check to sync to Google, and one of those options is Contacts. Also, you'll notice there is an entry to sync Picasa web albums. That will upload your pics to the Picasa site. To make yourself feel better, go check the Picasa site to make sure your pics are syncing there. You say you have your apps covered. What else would you like to back up?

The Bolded is not an option for me. There is no "Manage Accounts"  I have "background data" and "auto sync" then if I tap either of my two google accounts I only have a choice to sync contacts, gmail or calendar.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points