This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 5:24 PM by markcolder RSS

Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls

markcolder Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I just switched to Sprint in January, and for some reason since around that time I have been dealing with a pretty steady stream of harrassing and marketing type phone calls. Sprint is completely unable to stop them. Many of these are anonymous marketing calls, in most cases when you answer they just hang up (it's an auto-dialer). Sometimes it's bill collectors asking for someone of whom I've never heard.

I spent about an hour in total on the phone with customer service trying to help people understand what was happening. It seemed I knew more about the problem from the internet than the customer service reps did. When a private call comes to a Sprint iPhone, it doesn't say "private caller". The number on the screen shows 7748223225531 (or similar). Notice that this is the way you'd type "PRIVATECALLER" on a phone's keypad. Since this is not a real telephone number, this is the point where support staff become confused and unable to help. The last one I spoke with claimed he couldn't even see these calls in his system.

What I want is the ability to block a number (which they said they can do, but not in this case, since it's not a real number) OR to block all private callers - all calls that do not contain caller ID information. Sprint is unable to help with this either, they apparently have no such feature.

The support analyst suggested I download third party apps to try to block calls, but none of them block the calls. At best, they send calls to voicemail, which causes you to have to delete junk voicemails that are 0 seconds long and you still get your call log filling up with these calls. The rest of the call blocking apps don't work at all.

I'm reaching my wits' end. It seems crazy to me that Sprint built this system from the ground up but left no ability to block private calls. I am a new customer and I can't afford to pay the termination fee and scrap the money I sunk into this phone, or I would. Yes, I am in the national do-not-call registry.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting support from Sprint to stop unwanted calls? Do I have any legal recourse here? Is my only option to pay the termination fee and tell everyone I know about this experience?

• 1. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

Sprint cannot control who calls you beyond blocking specific phone numbers. And spam calls are not Sprint's fault any more than it would be for a landline company. And now that they have your number, no matter where you go you will get the calls.

1) Do you care about the number you have? If not, change it.

2) If you want to keep your number, you could sign up for or integrate with Google Voice and you will be able to block them from leaving a message. That is what I did.

• 2. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    markcolder Newbie

No, they can't control who is calling me, but they could provide some way to block all anonymous calls to my account. How difficult would that be?

The point is that they know of the problem, they have no facility to address it, and they have no plans to create one. The resolution for me was "deal with it" which is not acceptable from a customer service standpoint.

• 3. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    AwaitingModeration Silver Expert

markcolder wrote:

No, they can't control who is calling me, but they could provide some way to block all anonymous calls to my account. How difficult would that be?

The point is that they know of the problem, they have no facility to address it, and they have no plans to create one. The resolution for me was "deal with it" which is not acceptable from a customer service standpoint.

What phone do you have, android, iPhone, etc?  If it is a android device, check out this app at Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flexaspect.android.everycallcontrol&hl=en

The problem is, you received a number that someone else had at one time, and switching numbers will probably put you back in the same place. Sprint will change your number for free if you request it, but if you have given it out to people it can be a hassle.

• 4. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    Cpt.Eagle Regular Visitor

Im having the same issue with my local provider (not with sprint), but the way I got around it was, I had my calls forwarded to an 800 number which bounced the number back to my phone, unblocking the number.. basically, when you call an 800 number it automatically unblocks the number... on your Sprint phone I think the forwarding feature it *38  when they call u blocked again, just ignore the call and have the 800 bounce the number back to u again.. let me know if u need more detail...

heres a break down

-get a toll free number online, usually free or few minutes for free trial..

-have the toll free number forward its calls to your sprint phone number..

-have your sprint calls forwarded to the 800 number by dialing *38 + (the 800 number)

soo... once again when a blocked call comes thru, press ignore.. it gets forwarded over to the 800 number which sends its back to your cell... usually takes about 2-3 seconds to ring back to you number.. then if the persons harassing you, you might be able to report it to sprint who might be able to block that particualr number or report it.. hope that helped..wow, im a geek lol

• 5. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

If Sprint were to block that pseudo number, the spammers would eventually change to another number. Did you look into my suggestions?

• 6. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    markcolder Newbie

Hello,

As stated in the opening post, I'm using an iPhone.

This thread was created mostly to point out that Sprint knows I have a problem, they could deal with this by creating a simple way to block all anonymous calls. If this isn't technically possible - ok. But nobody said anything to that effect to me, the phone rep more or less told me to deal with it. I asked if there was a way to request system enhancements and he said no. I only want to help Sprint improve their system but I can't find any way to do it.

I don't think I should have to do gymnastics like paying for third party apps, buying an 800 number for myself, or using Google voice. I'm paying a lot of money for this service.

• 7. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    GodschildNicole Silver Expert

Sadly, cell phone don't have to software to block private, unknown or numbers that have too many or too few digits. Change the number, but it really won't solve he problem. Maybe you might need to get the police involved. Go to another carrier won't solve it either.

• 8. Re: Sprint unable to help stop harassing phone calls
    markcolder Newbie

Thank you everyone. I do realize that Sprint doesn't seem to be capable of blocking a number that does not contain 9 digits.

I know that keeping my phone number and going to another carrier will supposedly not solve the problem, but these problems all started with my switch to Sprint. I have no love for AT&T, but I never got harassing calls and I never got spam text messages when I was with them. You can block all text mesesages, so why not all anonymous calls?

Those things are neither here nor there.

I created this thread to call attention to the fact that there is a problem, Sprint apparently knows of this problem, no one at customer service seemed to have a clue how to help, there doesn't seem to be an enhancement process, and - well, that this has not been a good customer experience. 

You know, I'd have settled for "We'll fill out this form and submit it to our developers, that a customer is requesting the ability to block all anonymous calls." That would have worked for me - just knowing someone who had the ability to decide what is best would consider the request.

There seems to be no way in the world to do that, however.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points