This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 7:22 PM by xairn RSS

Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??

insomnia420 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello folks,  I was going to buy the LG Marquee today, had a 2 hour chat with a representative, was told I could purchase it today. So I spent nearly 10 hours researching it and looking into it as much as I could. Sure enough I went to buy it today and its gone, and no longer offered from sprint... Really unbelievable... Seriously, I couldn't believe I was told that, and wasted all that time looking into it...  

Anyway, I want your guys' thoughts on some of the phones that are offered so I can finally make the leap and ditch crappy AT&T and finally get unlimited data!

Now I had another chat with a guy today on the site, (he wasn't so helpful as the others and seemed to have missed my point many times, answered questions he didnt have the actual answer to, and told me one thing, then explained the next, or just didnt even bother trying to answer the question and would just say "Are you ready to purchase the phone now?"..) So I am not really sure how accurate the question I got answered by him was, and decieded I should join the forums, (as I will be a contributing memeber soon enough, if you guys can help me out here) and get your guys thoughts on the situation.

Now okay here it goes.

I would like to go with one of the free phones for now, but there is a very slim possibility that I may be willing to purchase one of the phones offered for around $20 or so.

Now I asked the representative today, what phones would I be able to connect to my TV for streaming via video out of either Sprint TV®, and Netflix.   I was told the the Express from Sprint (aka Huawei M650) has this option. Was he correct in saying that? Because despite his answer being yes, I was unable to get him to answer weather it is only from HDMI or if I could get a RCA/AV cable to connect to a standard definition old skool CRT TV set.  I will be soon moving to another state on my lonesome, so I won't be having money for anything like Cable nor do I necessarily want it at this moment. I think if I could just connect my phone to my CRT TV via an A/V cable like the iPhone offers, so I could stream a Netflix movie at night or something, that would be more than enough!  I really like the thought of that, and would be really happy if I can get this to happen..

So that being said, Can the Express by Sprint do this, and if so, where could I get an A/V cable to use on a CRT TV?  (god I hope I can do this... I really do... Otherwise the Sprint TV® seems kind of pointless to me, which is sad because I would love it if I could veiw it on a large screen, say when I am going to bed or something...)

Also he recommended the Motorola XPRT as he claimed it also has the Video Out option as well. Is this correct? and if so, like above, is there a cable that can connect via a A/V adapter or something like it that I could do?

Even something makeshift would be awesome.. Say there is a VGA cable, or an S-Video cable, that would be fine because I could just get a black box set top box, etc. and just run it in to the S-Video, or the VGA and then output a A/V cable or something. That sounds simple enough, and do able for me.

So really the question is, is there a video out cable for either of these phones? Whether it be VGA, A/V (RCA), HDMI, or S-Video or similar.

Now if none of these phones have a video out option and no cable, and this guy was just blowing smoke up my @$$, is there a single phone offered by Sprint that has this feature? Prefereably free phones offered online, but like I said if they are decently priced I wouldn't mind buying one for this option alone...

I wanted to ask you guys first, so I could get your thoughts, before I just go out and pick a phone from sprint and hope for the best or something.. I think at least one of you have probably have encountered this scenario before, so I figured you guys know your Sprint stuff, so I came to the experts!

Hope you guys have some good news for me!

Peace, Love and Light, people.

Thank you all so very much for your time, and can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Take care.

• 1. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    xairn Expert

Can You try a different font Insomnia? I am happy to help you ,however I am having trouble reading your post. You can edit but selecting all the text and selecting a different font. 

-Lindsay

• 2. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    insomnia420 Newbie

Sorry about that!  I like small fonts, as they look cleaner to me. I appologize. Let me know if that is any better.

Thanks a bunch!

• 3. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

I ran that post through a special cryptographic analyzer..

Hello folks,  I was going to buy the LG Marquee today, had a 2 hour chat with a representative, was told I could purchase it today. So I spent nearly 10 hours researching it and looking into it as much as I could. Sure enough I went to buy it today and its gone, and no longer offered from sprint... Really unbelievable... Seriously, I couldn't believe I was told that, and wasted all that time looking into it... 

Anyway, I want your guys' thoughts on some of the phones that are offered so I can finally make the leap and ditch crappy AT&T and finally get unlimited data!

Now I had another chat with a guy today on the site, (he wasn't so helpful as the others and seemed to have missed my point many times, answered questions he didnt have the actual answer to, and told me one thing, then explained the next, or just didnt even bother trying to answer the question and would just say "Are you ready to purchase the phone now?"..) So I am not really sure how accurate the question I got answered by him was, and decieded I should join the forums, (as I will be a contributing memeber soon enough, if you guys can help me out here) and get your guys thoughts on the situation.

Now okay here it goes.

I would like to go with one of the free phones for now, but there is a very slim possibility that I may be willing to purchase one of the phones offered for around $20 or so.

Now I asked the representative today, what phones would I be able to connect to my TV for streaming via video out of either Sprint TV®, and Netflix.   I was told the the Express from Sprint (aka Huawei M650) has this option. Was he correct in saying that? Because despite his answer being yes, I was unable to get him to answer weather it is only from HDMI or if I could get a RCA/AV cable to connect to a standard definition old skool CRT TV set.  I will be soon moving to another state on my lonesome, so I won't be having money for anything like Cable nor do I necessarily want it at this moment. I think if I could just connect my phone to my CRT TV via an A/V cable like the iPhone offers, so I could stream a Netflix movie at night or something, that would be more than enough!  I really like the thought of that, and would be really happy if I can get this to happen..

So that being said, Can the Express by Sprint do this, and if so, where could I get an A/V cable to use on a CRT TV?  (god I hope I can do this... I really do...  Otherwise the Sprint TV® seems kind of pointless to me, which is sad because I would love it if I could veiw it on a large screen, say when I am going to bed or something...)

Also he recommended the Motorola XPRT as he claimed it also has the Video Out option as well. Is this correct? and if so, like above, is there a cable that can connect via a A/V adapter or something like it that I could do?

Even something makeshift would be awesome.. Say there is a VGA cable, or an S-Video cable, that would be fine because I could just get a black box set top box, etc. and just run it in to the S-Video, or the VGA and then output a A/V cable or something. That sounds simple enough, and do able for me.

So really the question is, is there a video out cable for either of these phones? Whether it be VGA, A/V (RCA), HDMI, or S-Video or similar.

Now if none of these phones have a video out option and no cable, and this guy was just blowing smoke up my @$$, is there a single phone offered by Sprint that has this feature? Prefereably free phones offered online, but like I said if they are decently priced I wouldn't mind buying one for this option alone...

I wanted to ask you guys first, so I could get your thoughts, before I just go out and pick a phone from sprint and hope for the best or something.. I think at least one of you have probably have encountered this scenario before, so I figured you guys know your Sprint stuff, so I came to the experts!

Hope you guys have some good news for me!

Peace, Love and Light, people.

Thank you all so very much for your time, and can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Take care.

You will not be able to stream Netflix or Sprint TV to your TV.

• 4. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    insomnia420 Newbie

Oh I see now, Im sorry I had the font on symbol... thats strange though, as it still showed up as normal text for me...

Anyway, could you explain yourself GeekofTexas? I need more than just a basic answer please...

I really dont understand why there would be absolutely no sprint phones that dont have a Video Out feature.  In fact, I know that isnt true considering the fact that Sprint has iPhones.. I have an iPhone since they first came out, and iPhones can indeed do video out on Netflix, youtube, as well as most any other video service... So actually yes I could.. But there has to be at least one other phone that has a video out feature... Its such a **** basic feature, and there are many other phones that have this feature, its just hard to believe that the only one capable of this is the Sprint iPhone... : /

That being said, I wonder what made the representative say that? I made myself perfectly clear what I wanted to do, and he assured me multiple times that I could do this with these phones...

Here I will even show you the transcript...

You: Is there a smartphone that has the ability to connect to a TV with some sort of Video Out cable, that is deceently priced?

Michael: Yes,

Michael: Please have a look one of the best Motorola XPRT smartphone on the phone page.

You: That phone has the ability to connect to a TV with a Video Out cable for video streaming?

Michael: Yes, it has.

You: Okay Great.

[Here he goes into explaining all the features of the Motorola XPRT]

You: Okay thanks, Any others that have the video out ability as well?

Michael: Please have a look Samsung Transform™ Ultra smartphone on the phone page.

Michael: You also have another option for Express from Sprint smartphone.

You: Okay, so the express has that option? I really like that phone, seems pretty neat, but would it being of a lower DPI/Resolution effect the

resolution of the Video out?  I am asking these questions because I would like to possibly use the phone to stream netflix, or sprint TV onto my TV set.

Michael: I can understand your need.

I dont have a problem showing his name, as I know for a fact that isnt their real names in the chat application. (I exited and rentered a chat last night with "amanda" each time, and it was a completely different person each time I started a new chat, as they had no recall of the chat I was having nearly seconds before I restarted the chat. She even said "no, sorry for your inconvenience, it must of been a different Amanda, I can help you though". So it was always amanda last night, yet different people were talked to, and it was always michael today even though I talked to multiple people.. but that person in the above comment is all from one chat, and one person, so thats why I dont see there being a need to edit his name, as they dont give any personal info anyway, and its not their real name...)

So why the heck would that guy say that? If he didn't actually know why would he act like he knew?  I have had really good sucess with one of the Amanda's last night, I literally talked with her for over 2 hours and she helped me out a lot!, and really did well in explaining things, understood everything, and didn't ******** about stuff..  Yet all day today I had complete imbeciles in the chat the whole time!

I thought the customer service was good until today...

If they keep BSing me like this constantly I am so close to just giving up trying with Sprint.. Seems like a joke to even try, since I am just going to be d!cked around the whole time... Being told I can but the Marquee and it getting taking off the market the moment I was told to buy it, and being told all these phones have Video Out features, without him knowing anything he is talking about...

But unless GeekOfTexas, unless you explain yourself, I still see this as case open and think there HAS to be at least one sprint phone that has Video out... (besides the iPhones, of coarse...)

So I need more information folks...

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    insomnia420 Newbie

By the way, another example would be the HTC EVO 4G. It has HDMI Video Out as well...

So would you clarify why you say you can't?

• 6. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

Streaming data (video) on a long term, consistent and reliable basis using a 3G phone is not possible.  And, I'll go out on a limb and say with Sprint 4G, it's closer to possible, but may prove unreliable for full-time on demand use. Not for me!

It sounds like you're on a budget. But, you're choosing the most expensive (cellular data) and the most unreliable route (cellular data) to get Netflix on your television.

You'll need to get internet service at your home base. You'll need a minimum 1.5 Mbps speed (preferably higher).  Depending on location, $20 to $50/mo. for internet.

If you gotta have a smartphone from a premium carrier, and you don't have any discounts, this may be one of your larger household monthly expenses. Consider a feature phone or pre-paid cellular plan AND home internet. service.  Rabbit ears work great on over-the-air digital TV.  If you have a WiFi capable phone, you can watch Netflix on the phone or the TV.

No doubt, there are more than a few starving college students and entry level workers who are surviving by streaming cellular TV/movies from their phones to a TV, but I suspect it is a small crowd and that it doesn't work so hot. You'll be sorry.

But, if you insist, look for any 4G phone that has an HDMI out port.  I suppose several Evo 4G's will do this and the bigger Motorola 4G smartphone and Samsung Galaxy S 2 4G super deluxe...I dunno.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

• 7. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    insomnia420 Newbie

Haha, good point. I hear you there..

Yeah that might be the best option afterall.

But also keep in mind I am not necessarily talking about using as a replacement for TV 5-8 hours a day like most housholds would.. In between college and work, I wont have time to do so, so I am talking maybe a movie at bedtime or something, ya know? 

But your right, Ill just look into internet plans when I move.

I am just so used to using my iPhone 3G as my internet, by tethering a Jailbroken phone from AT&T.. I use a good 12 gb a month or more on my current plan because of Tethering...

But yeah I could probably pay even less if I would of just set up a high speed internet plan or something...  But I also like being able to take my internet with me wherever I go right in my pocket, like I do now.. But Idk if I can can get a decently priced high speed internet that would be great, and I wonder if I can get a really cheap mobile hotspot plan from someone of a small amount of bandwidth, say 2gb or less on the mobile hotspot.. That would be perfect, but those **** mobile hotspots are soooo expensive its crazy they charge about $50 at cheapest sometimes for BARELY ANYTHING!!!

• 8. Re: Video Out Capability of Sprint Phones??
    xairn Expert

insomnia,

We don't have any phones that are in your price range that have a video out function. Like You mentioned above the Evo's have the ability to do HDMI out, the iphone has air play and adapters you can buy, The Samsung galaxy phones have ALLShare but is only compatable with DNLA home electronics (allows you to wirelessly share media, however this does not work with Sprint TV.),  and the MOTO Photon has an accessory that mirrors the device. If you are looking for a really good smart phone in your price range check out the web special on the Samsung Nexus 4G. It doesn't have the video out function you are wanting but it is a great device.

Does this answer your questions?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points