This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 4:57 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Fixing a cracked screen

mommyoffour9906 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I recently dropped my phone and cracked my screen pretty badly. The back screen is fine and still works. I was wondering, instead of having to put out the money for a new phone, could I buy a new screen from, say, Amazon and would I be able to get the Sprint technicians at the store to fix it or would I have to buy a new phone?

• 1. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    robotaholic Gold Expert

You should call your local Sprint Service & Repair center.  Some stores can actually replace the screen for that particular device. If the store is unable to repair the screen and you happen to have the 8 dollar per month TEP insurance, a replacement would cost the deductible of 100 dollars.

-John

• 2. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    Levi4u Master

Cracked screens caused by physical damage are NOT repaired in store, If they have TEP they can file a claim with Asurion and pay the $100 deductable. Sprint WILL NOT replace a phone with a cracked screen, and the customer does not have TEP for $35.

• 3. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I have spoken to customers who have had their screen repaired at the store and there is nothing wrong with contacting your local Sprint Service & Repair Center because sometimes it depends on the severity of the damage.  But the normal procedure is to contact Asurion for sure.

-John

• 4. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    Levi4u Master

ESRP

What is not Covered.

The Program does not cover:

1> Incidental or consequential damages; 2>) failures caused by acts of God, fire, flood, explosion,

war, terrorism, strike, embargo, acts of the government, military authority, or the elements; 3> loss,

theft, abuse, misuse, improper installation, water damage, or customer negligence; 4>  pre-existing

Operational Failures of the Covered Equipment occurring before the time it was established as the

Covered Equipment; 5> cracked displays unless resulting from normal wear and tear or defect in

parts or manufacturing; and 6>    changes  or  enhancements  in  color,  tex ture,  finish,  expansion,

contraction, or any cosmetic damage to Covered Equipment however caused, including, but

not limited to, scratches and marring, that do not affect the mechanical or electrical function of the

Designated Wireless Device.

http://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/services_solutions/brochure_tep_esrp.pdf

ERP

The Equipment Replacement Program covers the

replacement of equipment should your Sprint or

Nextel phone, smartphone or Sprint Mobile Broadband

Card™ be lost, stolen or have liquid or physical damage.

$50 or $100 nonrefundable

deductible per approved claim

depending on phone model

http://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/services_solutions/brochure_tep_erp.pdf

A cracked screen caused by dropping is Physical Damage and requires filing with Asurion, Small crack(s) caused by defects may be covered in store under the terms you posted.

Level 3

• Not Eligible for in store service
    • Insurance ClaimRequired with TEP enrollment (Note: offer Upgrade

• Liquid Damage/Corrosion
    • Cracked Screens
    • Housing has 2 or more cracks
    • Flip Assembly or Keyboard isseparated
    • T otal Device Failure (DamagedBeyond Economical Repair)
    • Circuit Board Damage
    • Multiple or Extensive ComponentFailure
    • Smashed Device, 3 or more partsneeded to resolve
    • Lost/Stolen

Insurance Deductible

Tier 1 - $50* Tier 2 - $100*

• 5. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    mommyoffour9906 Newbie

I do have TEP and this unfortunately isnt the first time Ive cracked my screen. My husband always takes care of these things, but unfortunately, he is out of town at the moment. The last time this happened, he took it in and they replaced the screen no problem. So yes, they can replace the screen in store. I havent taken this one in because Ive been reading on the forum that Sprint changed its policy and no longer does repairs like this in store.

• 6. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I did call the store and they used to replace screens for sure.  Unfortunately they don't do that at this time and did refer you to Asurion.  The easiest way to handle this replacement is to go to phoneclaim.com/sprint  It was definitely worth calling to find out about your store though and thanks for your business.

-John

• 7. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

Levi4u wrote:

ROFL! Why did you delete all your post, And half of mine? And edit the ones you left up?

Very poor form. If one is wrong, instead of getting steamed about it then burying the trail, just apologize, admit it, and move on.

• 8. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    SA_twospirits Bronze Expert

I agree.

• 9. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    mapesy Sprint Admin

I am addressing this thread.

mapesy

• 10. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

Thank you.

• 11. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    DAMADTECH1 Newbie

For anyone that might read this later, the replacement screen is between $10 and $25 on Ebay. Exact replacement product and comes with some cheap tools to do the task. The EVO 4G does use a #5 torx bit ***** however as most used another size it appears. Took me about 30 minutes to do being careful and using online video replacement videos on YouTube. Not for those without patience and steady hands of course but sure as heck cheaper than the place at the local mall repair kiosk ($80) or $100 to Assurion for a refurb that was already someone else's problem anad routed through the Phillipine's for a "factory" fix. My suggestion if money is tight or you like fiddling around is go to www dot repairsuniverse dot com and get what you need and they have HELLA easy written and video instructions.

• 12. Re: Fixing a cracked screen
    fireguy_6364 Master

by the by...what did the new screen end up costing you along with tax and shipping and what not?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points