12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 11:23 AM by Bamboni RSS

Play music on my reflex without data plan?

TERR456 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I can only play one sang at a time. What a Pain. I want to play the music from my storage but to get a player for the phone i must pay for data package to acess the player. I have been playing music on my phones for years without paying extra. Is sprint trying to get more out of me just to play my music. Unfair? Please help.. What am I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    ANNMARIE99 Newbie

i would like to know whats up with this also, because if i have to pay for data just to play music, i dont want the phone, i was perfectly happy with my rumor touch. i just wanted an upgrade an i like the fact that the headphone jack on the reflex was on the top and not on the side like the touch. this phone does not seem like an upgrade, it was supposed to be better than the touch right? well its not! i installed TTpod on my phone it works ok, but i would much rather use the player that comes with the phone.

• 2. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    Levi4u Master

If you create a playlist it will play all songs on the playlist.

1. From the Sprint Music Store opening page, touch My Library My library icon.
    1. From the library menu, select an option:
    • Artists to filter the list of available music by their Artist information.
    • Albums to filter the list of available music by their Album information.
    • Tracks to filter the list of available music by tracks.
    • Genres to filter the list of available music by their Genre information.
    • Playlists to select or create a customized playlist you‘ve created to organize your music.
    1. Once you’ve displayed a list of songs, you can browse through your available titles to select a specific song.
    • Touch a song to play it.
    • To listen to a playlist, touch it to open the playlist, and then touch a song to begin playing from the selected playlist.
  • 3. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    mifronte Newbie

I too do not have a data plan and had set the phone's Data Settings to Disable so that I do not accidentally incurr any data charges ($.03 per kb without a data plan).  I had copied some mp3s to the micro SD card and wanted to play the music.  However, the first time I launched the Music Player application, I was prompted to Enable the data connection, which I accidentally fat fingered to enable and connect instead of cancel.  The Music Player connected to the Sprint Music Store and I was able to use the My Library to catalog the music I had on the micro SD card.

I exited out of the Music Player application so that I did not incurr any more data charges.  I then had to go to the Settings menu and again set the Data Settings to Disable.  Now the Music Player apllication launches without prompting to connect to the Sprint Music Store and I can now play my local music.  Just to test if the Music Player application had automatically established a data connection, I clicked on the Music Store link at the Music Player home screen and was prompted if I wanted to enable the data connection.  This leads me to think that the Music Player no longer needed to make a data connection and I can now play my local music without a data connection.

So I think the first time the Music Player launches, it needs to connect to the Sprint Music Store for some initialization.  Then after that, you can use it to play music locally without having to make a data connection.  I will not know for sure until I get my next Sprint bill to see what kind of data charges I am incurring.  Hopefully, I will only be charged for that one-time initialization of the Music Player.

• 4. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    ZACJAMERSON Newbie

Honestly buddy, the only way I have been able to find a way to play music was to reconfigure my memory card (After Backing My pictures up on my laptop) and then adding my stuff back to my phone and then after syncing my music dragging them to the music folder. HERES HOW I CAN PLAY MUSIC WITHOUT HAVING A DATA PLAN AFTER DOING THIS. I go to MASS STORAGE, then to FILE MANAGER, then to MUSIC and then you should be able to play music. I know that it may be a pain in the **** to have to select each song to play them rather then them being in a playlist, but I had to figure this out on my own and this is the best and only option for me. Sprint doesn't make it easy for us who don't have a data plan so I hope this works for anyone else having to endure the pain in the **** that I had to go through. Hope this helps guys!

• 5. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    CentralOhioKilstrom Regular Visitor

@Levi4u

But what about the part of the question "without data plan"?  The issue is not being able to use the music player without having a data plan to access the internet.  We have data access turned off completely so the teenagers can't get to it. 

Is mifronte right that you have to connect to the network once in order to initialize the app so that you can thereafter use the player?

ZACJAMERSON's solution of selecting one song at a time is not an acceptable workaround.

This looks like a defect / flaw in either the phone or in the design of the phone(/music player).

Please help the Sprint customers who've bought this phone expecting it to work without connecting to the network.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?

@TERR456, did you get this resolved?

• 7. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?

@ANNMARIE99, did you find a resolution?

• 8. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?

@mifronte, did it work or did you rack up extra data charges?  Thanks for posting your resolution!

• 9. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?

@ZACJAMERSON, did you get this figured out?

• 10. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    TERR456 Newbie

after fighting with every online tech i just called spirnt and they unblocked data 4 phone. i pushed music, and it turned the music player. girl on phone blocked data on my fone.  works great, no problems and no charge

• 11. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?

@TERR456, Thanks!  I did as you (and mifronte) suggested and it worked.  Sprint customer service has become so much better, making it a real differentiator.  Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Play music on my reflex without data plan?
    Bamboni Newbie

So, in order to get a music player that is not on the phone, I need to call sprint, unblock my data, find the music player, download it, and then reblock my data?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points