This discussion is archived
1 2 3 6 Previous Next 79 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 12:22 AM by Marmoura RSS

EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help

harristows Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My HTC EVO 4G stopped charging so I brought it into a corporate Sprint Repair Center. It took them a couple of hours and then the technician told me the charging port broke/came apart from the motherboard. He also said that it is a very common issue with HTC EVO 4G phones and that Sprint and HTC were aware of the issue, however I would have to go through the insurance for a replacement because he couldn't fix it. My phone is in perfect condition except for the charging issue, but I still started to go through the insurance and then saw that it cost $100 for the deductible. I stopped there because the "damage" (DEFECT) was not my fault. I have never taken the phone apart to break the port from the motherboard; I have never even dropped my phone. I took the phone back into the Sprint store and a different tech told me the same thing...that I would have to go through the insurance to get a new phone. I refuse to pay $100 for something that I did not do. I've been paying for the Total Equipment Protection every month for years and then I'm told that I have to pay more money toward a deductible for a replacement refurbished phone than it would cost for a brand new phone? Bottom line...it's the principle of the matter. I called Sprint Customer Service and the rep looked at the service notes from the tech in the store and said that because they put "Damaged Beyond Repair" that there was nothing they could do. I explained the situation to them and they told me that I would have to go through the insurance...

This doesn't make sense to me. How can you make someone pay an insurance deductible for something that was not their fault? This is like making someone pay a deductible in a car accident when it wasn't their fault... The only way you would need to pay a deductible is if it was a hit and run...(and you wouldn't even have to do it then in most cases!)

Like I said this doesn't make sense to me and I don't know how to explain to Sprint, in a way they would understand, that hundreds or even thousands of people have had this same issue and it wasn't their fault either. If anyone knows what to do in this situation, please let me know because I have had it.

• 1. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    dakine80808 Newbie

I had the same issue over the weekend, The Sprint store Manager in Tracy, CA said it would be an insurance claim, but... I could buy back your phone for $70.00,  andyou are available for an upgrade. Total out the door would be $70.00 or so and walk out with a iphone today. So hey why not, it is better than paying the $100.00.

Well I come into work the past Monday and my co-worker just so happen to have the same problem, He went to the Sprint store in Seremonte, CA and they told him that this was a manufacturer defect because the port had detached itself from the mother board, and they see this all the time with the particular phone and that there would be NO charge and to expect the phone in the a couple days.

I just got off the phone with sprint (1-877-775-4886) and all they could tell me was that my co-worker got lucky.. but they are willing to deduct $10.00 off each bill for the next 6 months.. I told the rep that I wish to speak to the next teir up, which she asked why? I stated to her that no matter what sprint store you go to, all the customers should be treated with equal service and not just to get lucky, it makes sense that this is a manufaturer defect, that I did nothing to damage this phone and would like the same service results as my co-worker, rather than coming out of pocket $70.00 for the phone $99.00 for apple care and having to sign another 2 year contract!

She said that I should get a call sometime today, it could be in the next few minutes or later tonight

• 2. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    Sprint Employee

My understanding of this is that the technicians make a judgement by viewing the solder spots of the port and how substantial they were etc. I understand this is frustrating. I am going to mention a few other options that you could choose. If the Sprint repair store will not fix and they said you had to go through insurance you may be able to find another store to repair the loose port. I live in Oklahoma City and we have a group of stores called CPR Cell Phone Repair and they will fix this for under $50. Another option may be eBay - there is a listing for EVO port repair for $50 - just an idea so you understand there are choices. I had a bad monitor that needed the capacitors replaced on the power part of the board - I bought the repair on eBay and sent it off - had it back in 3 days - under $50 just like new. As long as there is no other damage to the device you may want to consider one of these other options.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 3. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    dakine80808 Newbie

Thanks for the tip Larry, the store i went to didnt even take the phone to the back to be opened up.. he made the judgement just by holding the phone up and looking at the port and said yes this going to be a $100.00 deductable if you have the insurance. Im going to take a look at ebay! Thanks again Larry..

• 4. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    harristows Newbie

The first technician took the phone apart and said it was the charging port no longer connected to the motherboard and the 2nd technician just went off of what the 1st tech said. The 2nd technician even went as far as putting "Broken Beyond Repair" in the system, which I can understand if it's not repairable but they did it just so I couldn't bring it back into a store and even have a chance of someone treating me fairly. Apparently once "Broken Beyond Repair" is added to the service notes you're done. They use that info anywhere else to "diagnose" the problem and then automatically tell you from that information that you have to go through insurance. It's like I put it on the ground and ran it over with my truck as far as Sprint is concerned. Sprint and HTC sold me a device that they learned was defective and rather than remedy the problem, they decided to treat loyal customers like trash. EVEN WHEN YOU PAY FOR THE TEP EVERY MONTH...why even pay it when you're going to have to eat the cost anyway? Because like I said, it's $100 to replace the EVO 4G through the insurance and you're going to get an outdated phone that is refurbished....and it's $99 to get a brand new, updated model. I'm in Houston, Texas and they say there should be LTE service here soon...I don't want to buy a phone that isn't compatible with the LTE service and be stuck with more junk. It's really ridiculous that some people have the same exact issue and get a replacement with no hassle and no money and then customer's like me, and thousands of others are forced to pay $100+ AND go through **** and back with Sprint before we get anything that even works... ALL WE WANT IS WHAT WE PAID FOR AND CONTINUE TO PAY FOR EVERY MONTH!!

• 5. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    XtremjeepnX Newbie

FWIW,

I've had two charge ports go bad on the EVO. Picked up an external battery charger with 2 batteries off Amazon for $8.50. Plugs into the wall or into USB so I can use it in the car also. By far the most I have enjoyed my EVO in the last two years. Can now run a battery all the way down without having to worry about charging it, swap in the second one and back to 100% in seconds. Then let the dead one charge.

The build quality on the Evo 4G is ****. Dust under the screen, dead charge ports etc. (and I work in an office, so not abusing the phone, it sits on a desk all day)

• 6. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    setagem Newbie

I have had nothing but problem after problem I purchased 3 Evo's to the tune of $900.00 plus tax, and I have had the charging port issue. I am also in Tracy California, I also went into the store and got the same exact answer. [...]

I called HTC Great Company, Customer service was delightful, but after I sent my 3 cell phones for service to htc, which I had to pay for, and they had mje send them to Texas [...]. I received my phones back 2 were fixed the third was not and two are working great, but the one (mine) is now COMPLETELY DEAD! It will not turn on or reset or anything, I have been without a phone for 4 days and Sprint thinks I am going to wait until Monday maybe Tuesday to receive my 5th EVO (another violation of the Song-Beverly Act)

[...]

First off the "contract" that you believe you are in is not a "contract". A "contract" is a document that binds ONLY if the parties are compensated 50% 50%. Since the Cell companies get the phones at a major discount well under $100.00 and they try to enforce a 2 year contract that brings them thousands the trade off (even if the phone was free) is inequitable!

[...]

moreover so is Sprint.... anyone game im pretty well done since my phone doesn't work! AND if for any reason my account is cancelled by any person entity or human or non-human working for Sprint you might as well add a few more causes of action to my complaint, ONCE AGAIN VENUE IN CALIFORNIA when are they going to learn!

[...]

[...]

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed statements that are in violation of the Sprint Community Guidelines

• 7. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    cprolatj Newbie

Recurring problem for me.  Have to go thru insurance (TEP) and pay $100, just to get another phone with defective charging port.  Just spent the past five hours, from Sprint repair store, to Asurion to Sprint customer service since the EVO is discontinued (maybe because of this defect that they are aware of), back to another Sprint repair store referred by Sprint phone customer service, only to be told that it's an Asurion phone so Sprint has nothing to do with it and I have to deal with them.  Still not resolved.  Definitely not the way I wanted to spend Mother's day.  This was a phone that was replaced for another EVO with the same charging port problem and it lasted less than 4 months.  Contract doesn't end till end of this year, so I'll probably have to shell out another $200[...]

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 8. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello cprolatj, The Evo is no longer sold/produced because a newer phone has been put in it's place, the same goes for all of our phones to some extent. if you have had more than one evo with problems with the charger port you may want to evaluate how you are using the phone while it is charging, being connected to/disconnected from the charger. Since the Micro USB port is so small it has very little protection from physical stress. if the Service center has disassembled your phone, and looked at the charging port area to determine that the port is not covered under the warranty then you would want to file a claim with Asurion. if the phone was recently send to you by Asurion then they would have to work to replace it, you should make it clear of when you got the replacement and other pertinent details.

• 9. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    XtremjeepnX Newbie

...funny.....dozens of phones use the same style charge port but none seem to suffer from the issue like the Evo. The problem with the port is the Evo and it's build quality, not the end user.

• 10. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello harriscntytow, I do want to start with just because there is a documented problem with a small number of Evo's charging ports this does not certainly say that your phone's port is affected by this. this is the reason that we will refer you to a service center, they will view the area of the printed circuit board where the usb port was mounted to see if the solder balls were melted completely or not during production. if they find that a production error is not the reason for your charging port's failure then they would suggest filing a claim with asurion if the option exists.

• 11. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    mapesy Sprint Admin

cprolatj,

Your other post was removed at it is a the same in another thread.  In addition, inflammatory, slanderous remarks have been removed from the post in this thread as per the Sprint Community Guidelines.  Please review these guidelines before posting again.

mapesy

• 12. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Yes, we all can agree that the charging port on the HTC EVO original may not be as "robust" as other phones, but many EVO owners are using their phones just fine without charging port issues.  Larry mentioned an ebay repair alternative earlier in this post and there's also switching to a stand-alone battery charger.  We sell the EVO battery charger for only $14.99 and amazon.com sells batteries compatible with HTC devices for less than $10. 

Tom

• 13. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    Rahstyles Regular Visitor

Come to the sprint store in temecula....

They have the best techs...  they would of replaced you phone for no charge and they have the power to order you a brand new one minus the battery... and they let me hold onto the old phone and trade the phone in when the phone came into the store for pick up!!

Those other sprint stores.. are probobly trying to save the company money because there store doesnt get enough customers... Here in temecula Ca the sprint stores always busy...

• 14. Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello Rahstyles, I'm glad that you are pleased by the service in the Temecula, CA store. It is important to point out that every store will evaluate, repair, and replace phones on a case by case basis, and may not replace/repair every phone that comes into the store for varied reasons.

1 2 3 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points