1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 3:38 PM by Erirsh RSS

Early Upgrade

WHADDUPDOE1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everyone,

Does Sprint offer early upgrades?  And if so what is the earliest and how to I go about doing it?  I would like to get the Evo Lte when it comes out and Im not eligible for an upgrade until June1.  Ive always been eliligble for the Palm Pre, Evo, and Evo 3d on the release date but not this one.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Early Upgrade
    tre9614 Valued Member

Sprint will honor early upgrades 14 days before your scheduled update. I preordered through best buy and my upgrade isnt until June 1 2012. The phone is scheduled to be delivered May 18, 2012. Which sprint says I will be able to upgrade May 18, the day the phone arrives. If you want to go through sprint, they will do it too. But you have to pay for the phone now. Best Buy did not require any money down to preorder. Thats why I went with them.

• 2. Re: Early Upgrade

ok thanks for the response

• 3. Re: Early Upgrade
    frailer Valued Member

My upgrade date is also June 1. I was told by BestBuy that Sprint would honor the upgrade 14 days early (which would be May 18), but when I sent a message asking Sprint about it I received a reply that my upgrade date is June 1 and that if I upgrade any earlier I will have to pay the full price ($$$$$$$$$$). I've seen other users report the same thing. Do you (tre9614) have any assurance in writing from Sprint that they will actually honor the upgrade on May 18? Or are you simply reporting what BestBuy told you?

• 4. Re: Early Upgrade
    tre9614 Valued Member

I have an email with the transcript of the chat as well as an email of the conversation I had with the sprint rep over the phone. Best Buy told me they were not sure if they honored it, but Sprint said they would and if I had any problems to just contact customer service on the 18th when I pick up my phones. I am pretty sure all should go as planned seeing as how the early 14 day period is Sprint offered and will be applied to your account 14 days prior to your original upgrade date, but I guess we will see. Worst case is May 18th the phone will be in sprint stores, so if I have trouble I will leave bb and go down to Sprint. Again, I have not been charged anything yet, They havent ask me for card or any form of reservation payment so im not out anything.

• 5. Re: Early Upgrade
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

Our telesales department has the ability to look at your account and determine if you qualify for an early upgrade (up to 14 days).  There are variables that allow them the ability to offer it to you including payment history and current account standing.  It's always best to call in for your specific number and see if they can approve this for you.

Individual - Consumer accounts: 800-777-4681

Business - Corporate accounts: 866-240-5176

• 6. Re: Early Upgrade
    frailer Valued Member

Is this a case of one part of Sprint not knowing what another part is doing? I sent my query to Sprint by email. Should I try calling Sprint Support and/or engaging in chat with someone at Sprint? Like you, I haven't been asked by BestBuy for any payment, so I'm not worried about that. I'd just like to know if I can get the phone on May 18 or whether I'll have to wait until June 1.

• 7. Re: Early Upgrade
    tre9614 Valued Member

I think maybe D4v1d has the correct answer. I am paid up and have never been behind in the two years I have been with sprint. I personally like to call customer service. My experiences with chat have been to say the least frustrating. I usually end up calling after I have exhausted my patience with chat.

• 8. Re: Early Upgrade
    frailer Valued Member

Since both the original 4G and the 3D were released in June, I would think that there must be a multitude of people whose upgrade date is June 1. If Sprint really makes all of us wait until then while new customers can get the 4G LTE on May 18, it is bound to create a lot of ill will toward Sprint. Not a good way to treat loyal htc fans. Surely Sprint should state openly that it WILL let us upgrade on May 18.

I've been with Sprint for so many years I can't remember how long it has been and as well as I can remember I've never been behind with a payment. On your recommendation I will call customer service and see what promise I can get from them.

• 9. Re: Early Upgrade
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

Actually upgrades are earlier than every 24 months, so this shouldn't be an issue if you activated/upgraded on the original release date.

Existing customers that upgrade before 10/2/11 or haven't yet upgraded can upgrade at 22 months. Once they upgrade, they qualify every 20 months

• 10. Re: Early Upgrade
    frailer Valued Member

I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of upgrading, so I'm beginning to get confused. My own case is that I got the original 4G in June 2010. I was eligible to upgrade every year under the program in effect at that time, and I upgraded to the 3D in June 2011. My letter from Sprint notifying me about the discontinuation of the old upgrade program (Gold Customer? -- can't quite remember the name of it) said I would be eligible again to upgrade in June 2012 but thereafter the upgrade wait would be longer.

BestBuy told me that Sprint would advance the upgrade to May 18 if I simply asked about it. Nevertheless, the response I got to my email query flatly turned me down. Here's the text of the response:

Thank you for contacting Sprint.

Our records indicate that you will be eligible for the Sprint upgrade program on June 01, 2012. At that time, you can receive a rebate of $150 to apply toward the purchase of any new phone by signing a two-year service agreement.

If you choose to upgrade your device early, regular pricing before discounts and rebates apply.

The upgrade eligibility date can't be changed. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Samson A.

Sprint

• 11. Re: Early Upgrade
    JUKIEGIRL Newbie

When I called customer service they said that I can "buy out" my upgrade since I'm not elligible until September 1.  I think it was around $85.  It would apply to all the phones on my account (4).  It seems like a good deal to me.  I've been with Sprint for about 9-10 years and have never missd a payment.  I thnk you have to talk to the retention department to really get anywhere on deals.  I personally have a hard time dealing with service reps who are taking my calls from outside the country and reading a script.  I get in the phone tree and say I want to cancel service to get to someone who speaks English I can understand.  I usually can negotiate a reasonable compromise from there.

• 12. Re: Early Upgrade
    tre9614 Valued Member

Thats sounds like a good deal. I do the same, let me talk to someone who has some authority. Frailer, I would try the phone. And dont let up until you talk with someone who can get you what you need. I have always had good relations with the people from Sprint on the phone.

• 13. Re: Early Upgrade

So ive contacted telesales and was told that they could move my upgrade date to the 18th if i have been having issues with my phone.  I told them that I have been having issues with battery life.  The rep said that more than likely my upgrade date will be moved ahead but that i needed to call back on the 18th.  Ive read that some people have been pretty succesful calling telesales

• 14. Re: Early Upgrade
    frailer Valued Member

I can report now that I got the same promise from Sprint that you reported several days ago -- the representative said he could not change the eligibility date now, but if I call on the 18th it can be changed then. He assured me that Best Buy, where I have the phone reserved, would then be able to sell me the phone at the upgrade price.

Last year when I upgraded to the 3D, I had Best Buy transfer my wife's number to the 4G that I had. I'm thinking now about having Best Buy transfer her number to my EVO 3D. Do you (or anybody who's reading this message) know if that can be done without doing a factory reset of the phone? I would like the 3D to keep all the apps that are on it. The only exception would be the People information. My wife has a much smaller dialing directory than I do. Both directories are maintained at mail.google.com.  I believe I can take care of that by simply linking to her account and pulling in her directory after I've set View to see only her directory and not mine.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...