This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 5:15 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G

filmsuper8 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My Evo 4G Charger port is broken.  I have now bought 3 new chargers and none of them work.  After some research I have found out that this is a very common problem.   Why hasn't htc recalled these?  Why are they not offering a credit for repair?  My Evo was purchased and given to me as a gift and I'm almost sure it was second hand.  My question is this:  How much will a repair cost?

If it is anything over $100 I'll just be buying an iphone because quite simply I've had enough of phones that aren't built well.  Phones that have poor battery life, phones that must have apps manually shifted to the SD card or else I'll have Insufficent memory. This is my second one and I'm just not happy with them.  It's always something.   

Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it and how much was the repair?  Where can I send it to be repaired?  How long will it take?

Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

If you've  enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP) or Equipment Service and Repair Protection(ESRP) repairs or replacements are handled at no cost for the life of the phone. If you don’t have TEP or ESRP are charged $35.00 (regardless of device) for repairs or replacement of customer's equipment for the life of the phone. I would suggest you to visit Sprint Service and Repair Center to have your device tested and get repair pricing.Store locator www.Sprint.Com/storelocator.

Abe

• 2. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

filmsuper8 wrote:

My Evo 4G Charger port is broken.  I have now bought 3 new chargers and none of them work.  After some research I have found out that this is a very common problem.   Why hasn't htc recalled these?  Why are they not offering a credit for repair?  My Evo was purchased and given to me as a gift and I'm almost sure it was second hand.  My question is this:  How much will a repair cost?

If it is anything over $100 I'll just be buying an iphone because quite simply I've had enough of phones that aren't built well.  Phones that have poor battery life, phones that must have apps manually shifted to the SD card or else I'll have Insufficent memory. This is my second one and I'm just not happy with them.  It's always something.   

Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it and how much was the repair?  Where can I send it to be repaired?  How long will it take?

Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks!

There is a known defect with a specific set of EVO devices that caused the charging port to become more brittle and susceptible to breaking. Those are covered under the warranty even though broken ports normally are not. Most charging port problems do not fall within this defect issue. You can take your phone into a Sprint service and repair center to have the technicians determine whether your issue is related to this. Even if your issue does not fall within this defect, if you have Sprint's TEP protection it may still be covered with no deductible as long as they setermine it to be caused by normal wear and tear and not abusive physical damage.

• 3. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    cprolatj Newbie

I have the same problem today, for the 3rd time in less than 1 1/2 yrs.  I was told that since it's "damaged" I had to go through insurance (TEP) however, it was NOT free.  They charged $100 per occurence.  This last one was replaced less than 4 months ago.  What a scam.  Was told by Sprint customer service today that this is a big issue with the EVO.  At this rate, I could have had a new phone.  Was also told that my other option was to replace the phone through Sprint.com for a refurbished phone, which might be less than $100.  Just checked, they are priced $50-$99.99.  Since it is "damaged", it's not covered under warranty.  However, seems like a manufacturer's defect that is causing these problems.  My husband has the Shift during this same period and has not had any issues.  Supposedly, I have the better phone.  Can't upgrade till the 2 years are up.  By that time it probably will cost be another extra $200.

• 4. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    filmsuper8 Newbie

Well I think I might have a work around... On Amazon.com you can purchase a battery charger.  You have to actually pull the battery out of the phone and charge it directly, however, if you purchase one or more extra batteries you'll always have a charged battery. 

I have ordered both and will report back as to the success or failure of the workaround.  The only thing I'm worried about is that I purchased low end products; total for both items was under $10/shipped to PA. 

The EVO Battery Charger can be found here: http://amzn.to/EVO-Battery-Charger

The Extended Battery and back cover can be found here: http://amzn.to/EVO-Extended-battery 

NOTE: A BIT OF A RANT

Ultimately... I doubt I will purchase another HTC for quite some time.  I have had two (Hero and the EVO) and have been unsatisfied with both their quality, workmanship and/or dedication to their consumers.  If they produce a product and there becomes a known issue that they do not take responsibility for (such as a recall) then it is my responsibility to not only cease purchasing their products but also to tell others that their quality in products and to customers is poor.

In addition I think it is sad that Sprint cares very little for their customers that they would not remedy the situation.  I am no longer under contract because I purchased my phone outside of Sprint, but for those (such as you, "cprolatj") that have had to purchase and repurchase phones after I'm sure others have had these issues, and Sprint does nothing.... well I am seriously reconsidering where or from whom I should be purchasing cellular service. 

I fired AT&T because they didn't care... so we'll just see what happens next.

I'll update after I receive both and confirm this solution has worked or failed.

• 5. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    him8nce_momma69 Newbie

filmsuper8:

Did the purchases from Amazon work?  I'm experiencing the same loose/broken charger port problem now, and I'm realy disgusted to see that this is a known problem with the EVO, but it wasn't recalled to fix it. 

I'm trying to decide if it's worth sucking it up and just switching to a new phone.  At minimum, though, I'd like to get my EVO 4G powered back up so that I can get some of my data off of it if/when I do make a switch.  Good thing this isn't my only phone at home. 

• 6. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    fireguy_6364 Master

it was a known problem with SOME of the evo's...not all of them.. i would take it into a repair store and have them look at it. if the port came loose or completley broke off inside them yah its the charging port...alot of the cases ended up being the charging cable itself becoming warn out and not making a good connection within the port itself..most noticed this even more when using a 3rd party charging cord instead of OEM.

im still running the EVO 4G..picked up at release...no issues with the port...few issues with charging cables though.

him8nce_momma69 wrote:

filmsuper8:

Did the purchases from Amazon work?  I'm experiencing the same loose/broken charger port problem now, and I'm realy disgusted to see that this is a known problem with the EVO, but it wasn't recalled to fix it. 

I'm trying to decide if it's worth sucking it up and just switching to a new phone.  At minimum, though, I'd like to get my EVO 4G powered back up so that I can get some of my data off of it if/when I do make a switch.  Good thing this isn't my only phone at home. 

• 7. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    him8nce_momma69 Newbie

Thanks, but my issue is clearly the charger port.  You can hear it rattle inside of the phone.  Wiggling the charger cords, all OEM and 3rd party cords alike, don't work, but they do work on another phone we have.  Cooling the batteries in the freezer seemed to work initially, but now even that has stopped working.  I did order an external battery charger to see if the phone will work once I get a fully charged battery into it.  Basically, I don't think it's worth the money to have them replace this phone with the same.  If HTC and Sprint knew about this issue when they launched, they should've addressed it then.  I'm just going to switch to a different phone. 

• 8. Re: Broken Charger Port on EVO 4G
    fireguy_6364 Master

thats just it though. true there were quite a few ports that had issues...but it was a certain batch of them that it happened too..which if im remembering right was trackable through the serial number. or by the tech looking at how the solder was sitting in there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points