This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 12:36 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems

daniellebrianaa Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Over the last day or so I've had a lot of problems texting on my EVO 4G. I'm not receiving a lot of my texts, and when I do the alert doesn't sound off. None of what I send out goes through, and just ends up in the Undelivered folder. Also, certain threads of messages will crash, some can't be marked as read, no MMS messages will download, and I cannot delete any texts. I checked all of the update options and found nothing. I made sure that all of my notifications were turned on. I restarted the phone and pulled the battery. I'm using the standard texting app that was preinstalled. All of my calls are coming through and I'm having no problem with my 3G/4G/WiFi connections. The only problem are texts.

I've searched online for a solution and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem before. I'm hoping to find some help before I have to take it to Sprint. Any advice would be so appreciated!

• 1. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    bar1387 Newbie

I'm having a similar issue only I am completely dropping all signal in areas I used to have decent signal in. Aggrivating because my phone is basically a clock at this point.

• 2. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

have you done any of the usual starter fix it attempts? power cycle your phone (pull the battery for at least 2 minutes then put it back in and update your profile and prl? and are you using the stock text app or a 3rd party one? and if so which one is it?

• 3. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    bar1387 Newbie

Yep, even went as far as factory reset still nothing seems to have gotten better though over the last day or so. They reported an issue with a tower in my area for 3g and Voice.

• 4. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

To daniellebrianaa ~ It sounds like a memory issue.  Check your available internal storage memory from Home - Menu - Settings - SD and phone storage - Internal Memory.  If it's less than 40MBs free, then it's likely that your phone does not have enough available memory to open apps or background processes required to send messages; or, your messaging app has become corrupt in someway.  You can also try clearing your messaging settings by going to Home -  Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - All (at the top) - Messaging - Clear Data.  If your memory is fine, you've cleared your messaging settings and the problem persists, you may have to hard reset your phone to reload the messaging application.  Let us know if this is the case, we can recommend ways to back up your information before resetting your phone to factory defaults. 

Tom

• 5. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

bar1387 wrote:

Yep, even went as far as factory reset still nothing seems to have gotten better though over the last day or so. They reported an issue with a tower in my area for 3g and Voice.

texts are sent through on the voice side of things. so if there has been an ongoing issue with reception then your texts would also suffer. if youre trying to send a picture or receive one then that uses the data side...so if THAT is lacking then odds are your pics will not go or download.

have you been having issues with calls as well? or are they working just fine? drop your zip code and the closest cross streets and one of the techs in here can check to see if there are any ongoing tower issues in that area.

• 6. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    jstrk Regular Visitor

It's an issue with the crappp network!  I've been having text issues on my EVO for months.  Pretty much gave up trying to use it.  Picture messages fail to send, don't download, get messages late, etc..  What am I paying for???

Sprint - the Not Now but LATER network

• 7. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

might want to post a zip code and closest cross streets so someone can look up possible tower issues in your location.

im also running the OG evo and have no issue what so ever with texting..sending or receiving pics...yes..issues here and there...which comes into play with the data speeds.

• 8. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    jstrk Regular Visitor

I've done that plenty of times in the past and keep getting the same old run around about tower upgrades, outages, towers are fine, etc.  I'm tired of it!!  It's usually good when I travel, but just a pathetic network here in Tallahassee.  I'm not sure why I have to pay full price on contract all year long while these so called "Upgrades" are taking place while I get half the service every day in one bad location? 

I've never had any serious issues with my EVO.  Love it.  It's been a great WI-FI device lately

• 9. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    soozyqaustin Newbie

This totally blows!  All of a sudden, today, I can't send or receive text messages (if by some miracle they do go through...sometimes it's 30 mins later!).  In addition, I'm having trouble making phone calls (phone just keeps "dialing" but never connecting).  Signal level for phone calls is good (full bars).  Sprint...I dumped AT&T because of poor service.  Now you too!?!????????????  My family keeps telling me to go with Verizon...maybe I should listen. 

Frustrated in Texas

Zip code area:  78757

• 10. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    bsintic1981 Newbie

Hello from the Chicagoland area!  YES I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE AS WELL!!!!

Texts are intermittently received, and sometimes doubled when they come through.  And they're timestamped as though the recipient of your texts responded immediately.  So I'll text someone at 1pm, I'll get their response at 3 or 4 or whenever, but it'll be timestamped at 1:01pm or 1:02pm.  This means that my recipient is getting the messages on time, but they're getting delayed on the way back.  I often receive them out of order as well.

Also, 7 out of 10 of my calls have been going straight to my voicemail.  Can someone explain this?  I've been with Sprint for 10 years, and to be honest I've never had any crazy issues like this.  I've had the EVO for over a year, and it's fully updated (profile, PRL, internal memory intact, software upgrades, hard resets, etc.).

Someone please shed some light on the subject.  I need consistent service.  Thanks in advance.

-b

• 11. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    soozyqaustin Newbie

Greetings!  Turns out there was a widespread outage yesterday in my area (found out via another thread in this forum).  Later that afternoon the issue was resolved, sending and receiving calls was back to normal but text messaging was still a little glitchy (receiving duplicate messages many many times, flooded with messages that had actually been sent earlier in the day, etc.)  Today all seems to be back to normal.

Guess I just need to be a little more patient but I was lost without my cell phone!

• 12. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    ISAI20 Newbie

I'm having the same issue. My text messages dont erase and when i do send a message it moves it to the undelivered folder. Does anyone have any new details?

• 13. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    daniellebrianaa Newbie

I'm pretty sure my problem was due to low memory. Right after I posted this it got stuck in the start up screen and the phone would never fully turn on. So I was forced to do a factory reset and all of the problems were fixed. Last thing you want to hear, I know. But if you can free up some memory that might help!

• 14. Re: EVO 4G Text Messaging Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

odds are it was something else causing the issue. if it were a low memory problem the phone would have kicked you out some notifications saying low memory cant send etc etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...