This discussion is locked
1 2 3 45 Previous Next 663 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 9:26 AM by Sfisher926 RSS

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Sprint has made an offiical announcement in Sprint News.  See the post here.

5/31 UPDATE: Saturday's the day...please continue discussions in this post.

5/30 UPDATE:

We recently learned that HTC devices have been released by U.S. Customs. We expect shipments of HTC EVO 4G LTE to enter the U.S. in the next few days.  An exact availability date for HTC EVO 4G LTE will be communicated as soon as possible.

5/21 UPDATE:

Customers who pre-ordered HTC EVO 4G LTE…Your wait is almost over! Sprint expects to begin shipping HTC EVO 4G LTE for arrival on or around Thursday, May 24 to customers who pre-ordered the device online from Sprint. We will provide details on the full national launch as soon as possible. To check the status of your pre-order, please visit www.sprint.com/myorder.

Since shipping is in process, we can no longer accept cancellations as noted in the 5/18 update below. 

5/18 Update:

• Cancellation procedure update

We are allowing customers to cancel their pre-order and receive refunds. If you need to cancel your order, you may either call care directly at 866-789-8292, refuse delivery, or request a return authorization kit once your device arrives. For a return kit, please call us at 866-789-8292 during the following business hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am EST to 11:00 pm EST, and Saturday & Sunday 9:00 am EST to 9:00 pm EST.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - updated cancellation procedure

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - added 5/21 update

• 1. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    Doctechx Expert

When Order Support Escalations denied my cancellation today, they told me the fastest way to get my refund, would be to take my phone to a Sprint store upon receipt for immediate refund.  According to the official announcement, it says we must refuse shipment, or request a return kit.  That means more delays for the refund.  Is Sprint now saying that in store returns will not be accepted?

• 2. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    dshoem01 Gold Expert

Good question.  I'm checking.

Update:

You may return the phone in a Retail store; however, with the option of cancelling now available, that may not be your quickest approach.

• 3. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    ThePhilip Regular Visitor

Is it possible for e-mail updates instead of only through blog? I just happened to check the Sprint site and noticed the blogs. I never received an e-mail with the unfortunate news as of right now. With that said, please send customers updated e-mails because I'm sure there are many people who pre-ordered whom may not even know, just waiting on an e-mail saying their phone has been shipped.

• 4. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    dshoem01 Gold Expert

Yes, we are planning to send emails to those who pre-ordered...it just takes a bit longer to get all the internal system updates in place than to communicate via the forums. You should be receiving one in the next day or so.

• 5. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    sabbys Newbie

So for those who are relatively normal and placed their pre-order (were charged at that time) and are quietly waiting for their shipping confirmation without obsessively reading these forums will be getting a "order has been delayed" email by as late as friday, 5/18?

Nice.

sabbys

• 6. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    JJSDAD101 Regular Visitor

My question is what is Sprint going to do for those of us that are still "WANTING" this phone after all of this? First I was a loyal customer and "Pre-ORDERED" my phone within the hour of preordering started and paid the $199 they were asking for. Then to find out that BestBuy and others had the phone for sale for $199, with a $50 gift card, making the phone for $149. Talked to a Sprint Rep about this and he said that the people that "PRE-ORDERED" their phones would end up getting a rebate to make up the saving's. Then days later talked to another Rep asking how I would be able to get this "Saving's" and found out that they will not do that because "Sprint has no control over what other company's sale their phones for". Which I was fine with. Then sign on today to figure out who was going to be handling my shippment and saw that the phone is delayed? What the heck? So again I ask, What is SPRINT going to do for THEIR customers that are still WANTING this phone? I understand that it is not Sprint's fault for the delay, but Sprint has made a promise to customers in email such as this one;

Thanks again for pre-ordering the new HTC EVO™ 4G LTE from Sprint.

This revolutionary smartphone is available to the public on Friday, May 18. So we'll do our absolute best to make sure you get yours first. Soon, you'll have unlimited access to all the things you love, only from Sprint.

We're processing your order now so look for your shipping confirmation email informing you of the specific carrier used for delivery, as well as the tracking number on the day that your phone ships

So SPRINT I have a few ideas that will make me happy and maybe even MORE of your customers. I see it like this, you (SPRINT) can either, one send us our phones with a rebate like I was told by a Rep, or two, offer the customers a case like the OtterBox Defender. This is just ideas to continue to make your customers happy and still want to be your customers. After all you guys did in fact promised us a phone by May 18th.

• 7. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    311Indy Newbie

As already stated, an email would be a great touch for Sprint to have considered LONG before TOMORROW!  Why must I scour the internet in hopes for an update / call order support 4 times in the last 36 hours to be told differnt stories each time (including a promise that my order would be to my door no later than Friday)?  It seems only fair to keep those that pre-ordered (I am waiting on 2 EVOs) and paid in full upfront up to date the minute any information is available.  right?

I'm hoping Sprint appreciates me as a customer enough to consider some sort of compensation.  I purchased a phone, not a guessing game.

• 8. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    Doctechx Expert

Note...  The 2008 date is when you became a member of the forum.

Edit:  Disregard my statement above.  It looks like the forum join dates are experiencing a bug.  I know I just joined the forum a couple of days ago, but it shows that I joined in March of 2008.

JJSDAD101 wrote:

Oh and also, What is up with having me as a customer sence April 14, 2008. For the record, in which I can prove, I have been a LOYAL customer sence 2001-2002.

• 9. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    Glozu Newbie

Again Apple hurting people, HTC is not responsible for this delay, Apple used strategies for harm to consumers and competitors. we must repudiate to apple

• 10. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    Fifth313ment Regular Visitor

Sprint, you should be ashamed of yourselves and I disagree with those who say Sprint is not to blame. No offense but you don't put all your eggs in a basket hoping that your biggest release of the year "might" go down smoothly up until the last few minutes? NO ONE can tell me that Sprint just found out that their shipments were going to be stopped last night. Believe me they've know about it but they thought it would have been done and taken care of by now. Now that it's not they are blaming HTC!? They have been lying apparently for weeks now! Telling most customers that their phones have been in the warehouse for weeks and even up until last night everyone who preorders will get them on or before May 18th CSR BS. I can even name specific people who have tracking numbers from UPS with no shipments which just goes to how far these shenanigans got before the ITC screamed CHICKEN! Sprint was playing Russian Roulette with their biggest phone launch of the year and guess what, the gun SHOT!?

I blame Sprint 100% and HTC 0% because Sprint dragged this along for weeks, probably months if you look at s4gru.com data on "Risk with Mitigation" on internal Sprint documents regarding the EVO 4G LTE! HTC is simply the phone creator/developer and has nothing to do with Sprint marketing, dates, etc. HTC sends the phones and Sprint sells them and if there was a ruling waiting to be served on HTC's new phones then Sprint should have been aware. But I mean waiting until the last day and then blaming HTC is a joke. Just Monday Sprint said they would be opening stores early for the launch, what a joke! And if they really thought they could pull this off in under a day then I think Sprint has a lot more to be worried over than just a phone launch date. Even if the EVO 4G LTE launch is their most important release of the year that could either save or bankrupt them!?

And unless you've been following this situation online you would never know that you can count on not getting your phone for at least another week or later. No, Sprint has STILL NOT released any news, put out an official statement or email to their customers. My contract is up and I was already thinking about switching to Verizon but the new EVO and Unlimited Data were the only two things keeping me here. But it scares me to see Sprints' business sense and then sign up for two more years of service. Knowing Sprint in three months after they get the bulk of original EVO upgrades from two years ago signed to new contracts I could see them playing Russian Roulette again and doing away with unlimited data with some lame reason of no money or some other bullcrap. I can see into the future, lol. With Verizon you pay more but you get quadruple the speed, service and support. Plus the Motorola Razr Maxx has been calling my name for some time now, lol.

5th :(

• 11. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    GPRIMR1 Valued Member

A prime example of the anger Sprint has created by keeping customers in the dark. I wont' fault Sprint 100%. All buisness involves an element of risk. Risk though, requires management and plans for mitigation.

Sprint has failed to display any risk management plan. Risk management would dictate that as soon as Sprint confirmed the phone was being held by customs, executives would meet at headquarters. A statement to customers would follow up informing them of the basic situation and more to follow. Customer Service would begin working on a way to refund pre-orders

The next day (today) Sprint would have deployed a more detailed message to customers along with the refund option.

90-95 percent would have been understanding. A few would complain, but they always do. You can't control them.

Instead, Sprint chose to

1. Deny Refunds
    2. Has yet to e-mail customers
    3. Has refused activily to issue a statement when multiple media outlets are reporting it.
  • 12. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    ndislyfe Regular Visitor

waive the upgrade fee!

• 13. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    NAlden Valued Member

Pain in the neck, is it not? 

Sprint has a lot of people waiting on this EVO LTE, and now it's delayed by what amounts to the tech industry equivalent of a schoolyard fight--a patent battle.  At the heart is whether Android and/or one of its myriad front-ends from HTC and other manufacturers contains source code or any implementation of such code that impinges upon intellectual property claimed by Apple, Inc. 

Apple, for its part, maintains that Google and phone manufacturers have indeed willfully stolen ideas that Apple has claimed as its own, many of which relate to how the OS and software perform certain tasks on the devices.  Apple has yet to prove its allegations fully in a court of law, but thus far has been able to prove enough of them so as to create reasonable doubt within the minds of a US International Trade Commission panel reviewing the case, that the others have NOT stolen these ideas.  On this reasonable doubt, the ITC has chosen to side with Apple's claims and has as such, at Apple's request, placed a hold on NEW devices containing the code in dispute, including the new EVO phones.  Based on what has been reported through the tech press so far, the Android code is still in review, but with the hold in effect, phone manufacturers may not import new phones until this review is finished AND Apple's claims are disproven beyond any reasonable doubt.  These same manufacturers may, however, ship phones that contained the infringing code and were already on the US market--as replacements for existing models.

The Android alliance claims to the contrary, of course, and is fighting to keep the platform alive as has been the case these past few years.  Any win by Apple in this dispute, and the whole of Android may be force-dissolved, meaning that all these other parties must develop an OS that in no way impinges on Apple's claims.

It may be just as simple as reworking the impinging code, but with thousands of handsets in use and scores of Android manifestations, it won't be an easy task to rework said code.

Having restated these facts, in no way should Sprint or any other carrier take a fall for what has happened.  How could carriers have known that the phones they want to sell contain somebody else's ideas?  Their executives can't possibly review every single phone and give due acknowledgment to whomever created it.  Carriers start with one purpose: to make money while providing their customer base with services it wants.  In many respects they are so far removed from this battle that they can do nothing.  Any anger directed toward carriers and carrier affiliates will do ABSOLUTELY NAUGHT to solve the dispute, though consumers should be encouraged to petition the carriers to get involved in ways that the carriers are able.  If consumers themselves get involved, it'll be through the feedback given to phone makers; you've got to suggest features that by and large you want and ways to implement them that DO NOT impinge upon anybody else's methods.

Maybe all this makes sense, maybe not.  I'd be remiss if I, an Apple device owner, don't support what Android backers are fighting for.  Competition is a very good thing--that's why we've chosen Sprint over the others, good or bad as it may be.

--NA

• 14. Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement
    Techrocket9 Regular Visitor

My concern is as follows:

It seems ... unlikely ... that Sprint has zero stock in the US. The customs issue was announced days before release; surely most if not all of the preorder phones made it to US soil before they supply got cut off. I am concerned that Sprint might be deliberately delaying shipping out preorder phones to avoid having the buzzkill of people showing off their new phones to friends and said friends being unable to purchase devices in-store, thereby costing Sprint new customers. If this is the case, I am as outraged as everyone else. I think that any phones Sprint has should be shipped immediately, filling orders while the supply lasts in the order the orders were placed.

If Sprint could somehow convince me that they genuinely have no stock, well, that would be a tragedy (a very suspicious tragedy), but understandable. I would not hold the delay against them in that circumstance.

1 2 3 45 Previous Next