This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 5:04 PM by msmba RSS

Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?

msmba Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My mom has a new smartphone from sprint and is under contract, but does not want to keep the phone or plan.  She wants to go back to being under my brother's plan with another carrier since she rarely uses her phone for anything other than phone calls.  I also have a plan with sprint, but my contract is about to expire.  Is it possible for me to take ownership of her contract, but not keep her phone number?  So basically, I want to know if I can switch my phone number to her phone and fulfull her 2yr contract under my name once my contract expires in a few days.  Are there any fees/penalties/termination charges of any sort involved with this?

• 1. Re: Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?
    msmba Newbie

As a follow up to my original comment, my mom is still within the 14day return/exchange period with her new phone if it makes any difference.  Original commment below:

"My mom has a new smartphone from sprint and is under contract, but does not want to keep the phone or plan.  She wants to go back to being under my brother's plan with another carrier since she rarely uses her phone for anything other than phone calls.  I also have a plan with sprint, but my contract is about to expire.  Is it possible for me to take ownership of her contract, but not keep her phone number?  So basically, I want to know if I can switch my phone number to her phone and fulfull her 2yr contract under my name once my contract expires in a few days.  Are there any fees/penalties/termination charges of any sort involved with this?

My mom has a new smartphone from sprint and is under contract, but does not want to keep the phone or plan.  She wants to go back to being under my brother's plan with another carrier since she rarely uses her phone for anything other than phone calls.  I also have a plan with sprint, but my contract is about to expire.  Is it possible for me to take ownership of her contract, but not keep her phone number?  So basically, I want to know if I can switch my phone number to her phone and fulfull her 2yr contract under my name once my contract expires in a few days.  Are there any fees/penalties/termination charges of any sort involved with this?"

• 2. Re: Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

I am sorry but the contract is attached to her line of service which includes the phone number.  You cannot move the contract from her line of service to yours.   If she is under 14 days she can cancel her line with out ETF.  If you are about out of contract you should be ready to upgrade your line.   I would be happy to check on that information if you like.    Let me know.

Fred

Sprint Tech

• 3. Re: Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?
    alk1122 Expert

If she is within the 14 days then have her cancel the contract.  She will still be responsible for the $36 activation fee and however many days she had service.  I was told you have to also pay the restock fee but have also been told otherwise against that.

Also dont let your mom wait until the last day.  The 14 day return is technically 13 days as it begins the day you activate the phone.  For example, if she got the phone on a Tuesday, she would have to cancel by Monday 13 days later.  If she waited until Tuesday (the 14th day), she would not be able to cancel as that is day 15 to Sprint.

Also I dont believe she gets refunded the phone price right away.  I think you have to wait a few weeks for that.  Again I may be mistaken.

I see a Sprint rep has already answered your question.  Looks like your mom might want to return or pay for the next 2 years.

• 4. Re: Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?
    msmba Newbie

Thanks very much for your reply - I'll let her know to cancel/return her phone asap to avoid any charges and will shop for a new phone for myself!

• 5. Re: Can I switch phone numbers between sprint phones and is there a fee?
    msmba Newbie

Thanks alk1122 - that is very helpful tip about what really counts as the 14th day.  I believe today is day 10 or 11 for her - will have her put through the cancellation request today.  Also, I think she lucked out and got her phone w/o an activation fee due to some promotion and based on the paperwork she showed me for the phone, there should be no restocking fees.  Thanks again

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points