1 2 3 16 Previous Next 230 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2013 1:12 PM by jorgeildv RSS

Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues

SIG-ARM Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I got tired of waiting for Sprint and HTC to acknowlege that the new EVO 4G LTE has signal strength issues (particularly in maintaining 3G reception), so I alerted several media sites about the situation. So far PC World has responded and followed up with Sprint on our behalf. I am hoping that negative publicity will force Sprint to do something instead of claiming ignorance. This is no way to react to customer concerns.

My personal situation involves both me and my wife's EVO LTEs experiencing 100% less signal strength (and sporadic 3G reception) than the original EVO 4G I upgraded from. The various Best Buy and Sprint Corporate retail store reps I spoke with never even heard of signal issues and merely suggested to seek a refund or exchange for another product. Our devices were factory reset and reactivated; updated to the latest PRLs; and configured to CDMA networks only, but nothing has helped. Sprint and HTC need to issue a resolution quickly before customers start seeking refunds within their return policy periods.

Please respond to this thread and let Sprint know that the HTC EVO 4G LTE has signal reception issues they need to address immediately.

Some news coverage links since this forum thread was started:

• 1. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    smotrs Master

What about those of us who are not having any signal reception issues? Want to hear from us as well?

My phone is configured the same way you describe above and I haven't had a problem since day one when I updated the PRL and Profile. I know it doesn't help you any, but I wonder if there is tower issues in your area or maybe misconfigured PRL and/or Profile files for your area.

• 2. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    SECaggies Regular Visitor

See my " HTC EVO Connection" thread for a vote in your favor.  They have a big problem.  Those who haven't experienced the issues are lucky, nothing more.  I talked with more Sprint employees in 3 1/2 days then I've spoken with in 14yrs.  I guarantee you numerous phones have been returned.  Without a patch, no current update will fix your problem.

• 3. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    Dirt_Kahuna Newbie

My phone FUBAR'd yesterday. It wouldn't recieve any calls, texts, or voicemails. I called Sprint and was told that because I was within the 14 day ownership period, I could reture the phone for exchange or cancel my account all toghether. I went to the nearest corporate Sprint store (Flint, MI) and their very nice manager reset my phone herself. Her conclusion was that either an app messed it up or the phone number wasn't correctly ported to the new phone.

I doubt that either issue caused my problems. My suspicion is that there is something wrong with the network recognizing this phone. Like SIG-ARM, I have very poor 3G reception (never a problem with my original EVO 4G).

The phone is working now, and I decided to keep the phone with the hope that Sprint figures out the problem.

• 4. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    kinolau Valued Member

You folks WERE AWARE THAT THERE WASN'T the 4G network available that your EVO 4G's before buying the LTE, weren't you? 3G signals didn't degrade any. Were you aware of poor 3G signal strength when you had the previous phone? My phone's as fast as my EVO 4G was. Can't wait for them to flip the switch on the LTE 

• 5. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    Knevo Regular Visitor

I was aware of that, but I wasn't aware that my new EVO

with LTE disabled would not work indoors where my old EVO would.

3g signals didn't degrade, just my new EVO's ability to receive them.

• 6. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    baka77 Regular Visitor

I think it may be a hardware problem & not something Sprint can really do anything about.

I was actually doing some research on the radio quality of the EVO 4G LTE & the Galaxy S3 today, prior to making a purchase decision.  I came upon an interesting site that showed the following information regarding max RF ERP (ie - radio power).  Here the comparison for EVDO 1900 (aka, 3G)...

EVDO 1900

Original EVO 4G = 24.9 dB

EVO 4G LTE = 18.44 dB

A higher number equals more power. 

Even Samsung, with their notoriously poor radios, has the S3 coming out with EVDO 1900 RF ERP = 23.85. 

Maybe time to return the EVO LTE?

Source:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-159-htc-evo-4g-lte-tech-details-revealed-in-fcc-oet-filing/

• 7. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    farvegnugen1 Regular Visitor

I have had nothing but a positive experience with my EVO 4G LTE for the past 2 weeks.  Good voice reception and consistent 3G data signal here in Northern California.

Coming from an EVO Shift 4G though, so maybe anything was going to be an improvement?

• 8. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    smotrs Master

Ditto in the So. California area.

• 10. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    farvegnugen1 Regular Visitor

SF Bay Area, East Bay.  Have had good reception travelling the past week between SF/San Jose/Sacramento.  Pretty consistent 3G signal when accessing Lotus Notes via Notes Traveler, actually the application runs beautifully on this device as compared to the EVO Shift.  Haven't done any bandwidth tests...nor have I felt the need to.

• 11. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    Tim-Schaffer Newbie

kinolau wrote:

You folks WERE AWARE THAT THERE WASN'T the 4G network available that your EVO 4G's before buying the LTE, weren't you? 3G signals didn't degrade any. Were you aware of poor 3G signal strength when you had the previous phone? My phone's as fast as my EVO 4G was. Can't wait for them to flip the switch on the LTE 

I was aware LTE wasn't turned on yet. I anticipated it being turned on soon (I'm in Chicago, IL and it shouldn't be long). I also expected that 3G performance with this phone would be the same as the original Evo 4G I was upgrading from (WiMax sucked in my area and I had it turned off 100% of the time). As you say, the 3G network hasn't change and signal quality should be the same as it was with my previous phone.

3G performance hasn't even been close to my original Evo. 3G Data on my Evo 4G LTE is almost unusable. I've tried PRL updates, rebooting the phone, setting it to CDMA network only, profile updates, etc. Nothing has made it better for any significant amount of time. I've also had the opportunity to travel to Lake Geneva, WI and Toledo, OH since getting this phone (places I had good 3G performance with my old phone). Performance on the drive to both of those destinations, as well as at those destinations has been just as dismal.

That leads to only one logical conclusion, the issues are not network related, and there is a problem with this handset. Hopefully it's software problem and can be resolved. If it's a hardware issue, most likely, we are SOL until LTE gets turned on.

The prospect of LTE coming very soon to my market is the only thing at this point that has prevented me from returning my phone and switching back to my original Evo while I evaluate a different carrier. Hopefully Sprint's LTE doesn't suck just as bad with this phone and I won't regret not returning it...

• 12. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    LEVEL424ME Regular Visitor

I live in Houston where supposedly it's suppose to be one of the first to launch the LTE and I have no 4G reception whatsoever. I updated my PRL and Profile and it has done nothing. I in downtown Houston and hoped it would be active in this area, but it seems to be the same as the other areas of town I tried; non-existent. This is an open letter to any knowledgeable Sprint employee - could you please let us know EXACTLY when will we be able to get LTE reception here in Houston? I just want to know; that's all I'm asking, I'm not demanding LTE service, I just want to know when to be expecting it, thanks.

• 13. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    fireguy_6364 Master

have been wanting to head to your area for a while now. im north of sac by about a hour..ish

• 14. Re: Alerted the media about the HTC EVO 4G LTE signal reception issues
    MGman61 Expert

Here we go again. Another new phone and more cases of erratic performance experiences from users. Some have no problems, while others do.

Sounds like the iPhone 4S mess all over again.

If you had an EVO 4G and switched/upgraded to the new EVO 4G LTE with drastically different performane issues in the same locations on the same network, that's messed up.

Sprint - What is with the variations of hardware performance on some areas of your network? Software install related... something gets borked? Or is there just a certain percentage of new phones that have hardware issues?

1 2 3 16 Previous Next