8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 5:27 PM by Panzer06 RSS

Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?

el0416 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Is the following article true? My internet is extreamly slow, and wont' connect to just any routers

http://www.carltonzone.com/blog/2012/6/18/why-you-shouldnt-buy-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-from-sprint.html

internet also come on on its own, y is that?

• 1. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

el0416 wrote:

Is the following article true? My internet is extreamly slow, and wont' connect to just any routers

http://www.carltonzone.com/blog/2012/6/18/why-you-shouldnt-buy-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-from-sprint.html

internet also come on on its own, y is that?

That article is basically true, as far as it goes.  But it is also spin because it fails to mention that Sprint is building a new LTE-based 4G network, which has not launched yet.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/92116?tstart=0

See especially the second comment, which contains a link to an unofficial third-party site (S4GRU) that tracks progress of the new network rollout:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/438275#438275

(A direct link to that S4GRU page is here -- http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/ )

Personally, since my current phone supports the old Wimax 4G but not the new LTE 4G standard, and the Galaxy S III supports the new LTE standard but not Wimax, I have decided to wait until the LTE network launches before buying the GS III.  Otherwise, I would be downgrading my network service while I wait.

• 2. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    GenocidalAtom Expert

That articles sounds like it was written by AT&T..   I have a WiMax phone and I've used it for about 1 hour on 4G since I've owned it (2 years)... when I visited another city that had WiMax... 

While I live in the general area of Philly I am QUITE FAR from the WiMax coverage area... so I own the old 4G and don't use it, I can't see why waiting for 4G to be available is much more of a stretch.

I've pre-ordered 2 GS3s 32GB (Blue) and am patiently waiting for them now.  The coverage area for Philly is scheduled for August of this year... and the projected coverage area extends extensively past where I live...

So I'd switch, miss out on 4G coverage on sprint by less than 60 days and lose my unlimited data.

That being said, if I followed that articles advice I'd switch to AT&T immediately... and btw, it appears that on AT&T's coverage map I'm even further away from LTE than I am from WiMax... and I'm not exactly in a country setting.

Check out coverage maps and expected delivery dates prior to making any decision if 4G is your concern.

• 3. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

I think the main thrust is AT&T has significantly better 3G than Sprint so being in the LTE coverage area is of less concern.  This is helpful if access to the Internet is your primary concern.  If using the phone as a phone is important, I've found both Sprint and Verizon to have significantly less dropped calls than AT&T. 

Note: there are many complaints of poor signal issues with the new Sprint LTE phone that not only impact data but make calls and texts less reliable.  Do your research and choose wisely.

Cheers,

• 4. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

Panzer06 wrote:

I think the main thrust is AT&T has significantly better 3G than Sprint so being in the LTE coverage area is of less concern.

Once the Sprint Network Vision LTE buildout is complete, virtually all the current 3G towers should have LTE 4G.  Before the buildout reaches your area, you are stuck with the legacy 3G service, which can be awful.  Once that network is in place, the LTE 4G will probably be well worth the wait  So it is a question of timing and where you are.

I personally would not commit to a two-year contract to get the Sprint GS III unless I were confident of getting the LTE service in my area relatively soon.  And since I do hope to get the new 4G service in just a couple of months, and expect those speeds to be very impressive, I'll wait for it.   If I didn't expect that to happen until the end of next year, I would be inclined to sign with a different carrier now.

• 5. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    rosst60 Newbie

yes, I upgraded from the HTC EVO, (circa 2010-2011 model) in November, 2012 and had noticed that my internet speed seemed unusually slow or would not load at all.  Finally the other day, I used my wife's HTC EVO, also a 2011 version, and ran the same internet search holding both phones side by side.  The HTC loaded almost a minute sooner that Samsung Galaxy S3.  I was extremely disappointed and wish Sprint had made mention of this before selling all those Samsung S3, I bought 3 of them.  I am seriously considering converting all my phones off Sprint service when they come up for renewal.

• 6. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    rosst60 Newbie

yes, I upgraded from the HTC EVO, (circa 2010-2011 model) in November, 2012 and had noticed that my internet speed seemed unusually slow or would not load at all.  Finally the other day, I used my wife's HTC EVO, also a 2011 version, and ran the same internet search holding both phones side by side.  The HTC loaded almost a minute sooner that Samsung Galaxy S3.  I was extremely disappointed and wish Sprint had made mention of this before selling all those Samsung S3, I bought 3 of them.  I am seriously considering converting all my phones off Sprint service when they come up for renewal.

• 7. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    rosst60 Newbie

• 8. Re: Why is the internet so slow on  Galaxy S3 ?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

rosst60 wrote:

Where are you located?  If you are in a WiMax 4G area that hasn't upgraded to LTE of course the S3 is much slower.  The EVOs I had supported WiMax and worked great in areas where it was supported (but battery died fast!). LTE phones like S3 or iPhone 5 don't support WiMax so all you get is 3G which is horribly slow in most parts of the country. 

Cheers,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...