This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 5:18 PM by Katomic2 RSS

galaxy s3 reception issues after update

llc4gs3 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have a galaxy s3 and I was raving to everyone how it had better service than my old evo4g. Now after the last security update I have no service at home. I have missed so many important calls that I considering returning the phone back. Has anyone else had this issue after the update and what can I do? I have zero bars every where in my house.

• 1. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    DOUG_HENNING Valued Member

My EVO SHIFT had far more missed calls..   The only time I miss calls is when roaming..  My office has a Verizon access point that seems to kick in and replaces the very week Sprint signal..  My phone gets enough signal to ring and get texts but otherwise I have to step out to talk..  It drops every time roaming but I just walk out the door and the Spring signal kicks in and everything is fine.. 

• 2. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    LmR75 Newbie

I have been waiting to see if someone will respond to your concerns because I am having the same issue. I have always had bad reception where I live with every phone that I've had. At work (in a cubicle by the window) I have one measly bar. When I went to my assigned desk on another floor in the middle of the building I have all my bars. When I first received this phone it was fast and like you stated the security update changed something and now I experience slower data services. I even reset it to see if that would make a difference but again the update slowed the services.

Please somebody (tech support or other) answer this concern.

• 3. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    Katomic2 Newbie

I had a Galaxy S Epic 4G since the week it came out until a few weeks ago, and hadn't had reception issues in my building at work until I got my Galaxy S III.  Now that you mention a security update, I think my reception got worse then too.  Googling Sprint St Louis comes up with an article in which Sprint brags about how great they recently made the reception on the university campus where I work, and they even mounted antennas on my building.  I get roaming warnings all the time now.  I can rarely carry on conversations now with my wife while in my office on my Galaxy S III.  A few minutes ago, I gave up, and called her from my work landline, and then came here out of frustration.  Generally, I think that electronics that are two years newer are usually better.  I have lots of new bells and whistles that work great, but I have trouble using my phone's most basic feature.

• 4. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    Katomic2 Newbie

I just chatted with someone at Samsung.  She told me that I should try doing a soft reset by powering off and pulling the battery for 30 seconds.  After rebooting, I have  bars fluctuating between 3 and 5, but staying at 4-5 bars way more than going down to 3, and my WIFI signal is consistently stronger.

I unplug DVRs, fax machines, printers, computers, and do soft resets on remotes, all the time to get them working right again.  I remember doing this quite a few times for my Galaxy S Epic 4G, but I didn't think of trying it for this phone.  Surely, EVO 4G LTEs and iPhones have issues that might be solved by a battery pull, but that's not possible.  Lack of a removable battery is major strike against them, if you ask me.

If you want to chat with someone at Samsung, go to this page:  http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact.

• 5. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    DOUG_HENNING Valued Member

What is the difference between a power down with the battery in and a power down and reset with the battery out???    I just did it and it seems no different for me at my desk....  No Sprint service as it picks up a VW roam signal but I leave the room and the Sprint signal comes through. 

My old EVO Shift did the same thing here but I did notice that it seemed to work a little better at times in marginal areas

I'm hoping with NV, there will be better coverage..

• 6. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    llc4gs3 Newbie

I chatted with a sprint tech who tried to reset my phone from his end. It didn't help so he had me call tech support and get me an air rave for home use. Hopefully it will arrive faster than the 3-4 weeks they mentioned.

• 7. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

To Simulate a battery pull on the EVO LTE you hold the power button for  about 10 sec and it will shut the device down. This is different the just pressing power key and letting the device power off.

• 8. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    llc4gs3 Newbie

Sprint overnighted the air rave. My receiption has increased from zero to more than half bars at home. I am glad they helped me out.

• 9. Re: galaxy s3 reception issues after update
    Katomic2 Newbie

O.K.  I should have known that was wishful thinking and too good to be true.  Same location, and getting calls dropped.  I can hear my wife, and she can hardly hear me.  I hope this is not a hardware defect, and can somehow get fixed with firmware.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points