This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 1:58 PM by Fergie_B RSS

Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Patsfan84 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello. I recently recieved an Android phone fomr a friend for my birthday. I am not currently on a smartphone plan, but on a regular family plan, and none of us have smartphones. My contract is not up yet, so how much would it cost to bring in the phone and have the service switched to that phone? Would I have to pay an ETF?

• 1. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Patsfan84,

Congratulations on your new smartphone and happy birthday!  Ok, so now that we have that out of the way, you have a few options.  If you're wanting to remain on the current account that you're on, all you'll need to do is change your plan which is not contract effecting.  Since you're on a shared plan, that would either mean that you would need to go on an individual data plan yourself, or you can change the whole family to have access to data.  Our everything data plans are excellent even for our customers who don't use the data feature because it comes with Any Mobile Anytime.  This allow you to talk to any domestic cell phone on any carrier unlimited without touching your minutes.  In addition to that, it allows for unlimited cellular data as well as unlimited text messaging.  Here is a link to our plan layout.  I would recommend reviewing the individual plan cost for Everything Data and comparing it to the cost difference of just changing the whole family to an Everything Data Share plan.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. 

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 2. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Frank--N--Beans Valued Member

My understanding is the account holder can upgrade the service.  If you are not the account holder then you will need to get them to do this.  You would have to upgrade the entire plan to a data plan.  Or you can set up your own single plan.  But it would be a new account and even though you have the phone already Sprint will require a 2 year contract with a $350 ETF.  So if you go that route you might as well get a new subsidized phone from Sprint since they will put you in contract anyways.  I would just wait until your current contract is up or convince the acount holder to switch to a family data plan.  It will be a significant increase per month though.

• 3. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Frank-N-Beans,

That's actually a common-misconception.  If a user can authenticate the account using the PIN or answer to the security question, plan changes can be made.  This is true whether the customer is the account holder or a user on the account itself.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 4. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Patsfan84 Newbie

So I could just go into the Sprint store, tell them "I would like the service to be put on this smartphone" then switch to the smartphone plan, and be done with it?

• 5. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Patsfan84 Newbie

Also, would it cost 10 dollars a month for the data, or 20?

• 6. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Patsfan84 wrote:

So I could just go into the Sprint store, tell them "I would like the service to be put on this smartphone" then switch to the smartphone plan, and be done with it?

It will put ALL lines on the family data plan

• 7. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Patsfan84 wrote:

Also, would it cost 10 dollars a month for the data, or 20?

How many lines are on your plan currently?

• 8. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Patsfan84,

You'll need to either change just your line to an individual Everything Data Plan OR switch the whole family.

• 9. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Patsfan84 Newbie

So if I change to a plan by myself, how much would data cost per month?

• 10. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

The smallest Individual Everything Data Plan with a smartphone is $79.99/month (this includes your $10 premium data fee).  The plan is 450 minutes (when not calling a cell phone or when not speaking on nights and weekends), unlimited text and unlimited data.  The smallest Everything Data Share Plan for the whole family is 129.99 for the first two lines plus 19.99 for each additional line (in your case, add $10 for the premium data fee).  This would still include any mobile any time plus 1500 minutes for non cellular calls, unlimited data and unlimited text.

I'm including a link to our plan optimizer so you can shop plans.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?tabId=pt_shared_tab&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=null

• 11. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Patsfan84 wrote:

If you get on your own data plan you will first off have to submit to a credit check.  If your credit is good then you wont have to put any money down.  For a single data line it will be $70 + the $10 premium data fee.  So $80 a month before taxes and surcharges and usually comes out to $90-$92 after taxes and surcharges.

But why put yourself in a 2 year contract with a full $350 ETF fee if you are not getting a subsidized phone?  I would wait a month or so until the iphone 5 comes out.  Then I would get the new contract.  Buy a new iphone for $200.  Then switch from the iphone to the phone that was given to you.  Then sell the iphone on craigslist for about $600.   

Basically if you are going to sign a 2 year contract and have a full $350 ETF you might as well get a subsidized phone.  And make a profit off that phone.

• 12. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Frank--N--Beans wrote:

Patsfan84 wrote:

If you get on your own data plan you will first off have to submit to a credit check.  If your credit is good then you wont have to put any money down.  For a single data line it will be $70 + the $10 premium data fee.  So $80 a month before taxes and surcharges and usually comes out to $90-$92 after taxes and surcharges.

But why put yourself in a 2 year contract with a full $350 ETF fee if you are not getting a subsidized phone?  I would wait a month or so until the iphone 5 comes out.  Then I would get the new contract.  Buy a new iphone for $200.  Then switch from the iphone to the phone that was given to you.  Then sell the iphone on craigslist for about $600.   

Basically if you are going to sign a 2 year contract and have a full $350 ETF you might as well get a subsidized phone.  And make a profit off that phone.

Actually, he could be on an individual plan on the same account without extending his contract.  There can be individual and family plans on the same account.  If he would like to transfer liability of the account to himself to be on his own account, there is no contract extension associated with that.  It will require a credit check, but it will just change the person who is currently responsible for the existing contract.

• 13. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Fergie_B wrote:

Frank--N--Beans wrote:

Patsfan84 wrote:

Actually, he could be on an individual plan on the same account without extending his contract.  There can be individual and family plans on the same account.  If he would like to transfer liability of the account to himself to be on his own account, there is no contract extension associated with that.  It will require a credit check, but it will just change the person who is currently responsible for the existing contract.

Not to question you but are you 100% sure about that?

• 14. Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends
    Patsfan84 Newbie

Yeah. He's right. My Mom changed to an iPhone yesterday actually, and has an idivdual plan, but is still on the family account. I'll probably just do the same thing. I guess it just costs more for iPhones. BTW if you're wondering, I got the Evo Shift 4G! Do you guys think it is a good phone?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points