1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 4:39 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

oceanburt Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have the HTC EVO Design 4g and all of a sudden, after the latest update, my phone keeps turning off. I can turn it back on, but it just turns off again. I dont kow if the update has anything to do with it but my phone was working just fine before then. Along with this issue my internet is much slower and places that i normally wouldnt "roam" im roaming. i dont know if that has anything to do with it either though. But i am so upset. i am about to start school and is already pressed for money, i dont have the 35$ fee that they want to take it to a repair shop right now. I tryed resetting the phone back to the factories original settings. Deleted my contacts, music, and downlowaded apps and that didnt seem to help at all.I tryed taking my battery out and putting it back in MULTIPLE times. Im really like what in the world is wrong with my phone. IT has no outside damage at all. I got it in february. Has had a screen cover and a case on it every since i got it! Im not hard on phones at all! Has anyone else ever had this problem?? If so what turned out to be wrong with the phone?? And what did HTC do about it. like do i have to wait for a replacement or what??

• 1. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Wow, that would be frustrating, especially after erasing everything.  Have you tried taking out your SD card?  We've seen some reports with "compatibility" issues from app data that's stored on an SD after updating to a new OS.  Plus, you've already factory reset your phone. 

Tom

• 2. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

i just tried unmounting and removing it and the problems still there but thanks for your reply and advise i really do appreciate it.

• 3. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    Lunday17 Newbie

I have the same exact issue. i just recently did a software update to my evo design since i kept getting notifications to update it. And now my phone turns off randomly. i also completed a factory reset and nothing. Please help someone.

• 4. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    Lunday17 Newbie

Just spoke with sprint they said we need to roll back the software from the new version ICE CREAM to GINGER BREAD. They can do this free for you at any sprint repair service center. i verified this since i do not have insurance on my phone and cannot afford to pay any extras either. Hope this helped.

• 5. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

have you taken it to be done yet??

• 6. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    Lunday17 Newbie

unfortuantly they did not fix my phone and it has turned out to be a headache to deal with. I spoke to the sprint tech who orginally said over the phone they can do a roll back, but when i got there they told me my phone does not have support on it and they would not fix it. They then told me to call HTC support since they have a 1 year manufacture warranty and it is their software push out not sprints. so i called HTC support they too assured me that they would fix the OS under warranty and sent me a RMA to return the phone. I returned the phone to their support and got a email saying there is water damage to my phone and they want to charge me 200 to fix it. Now my phone was working perfectly fine until this update pushed out. now they are trying to say the update has no reported issues, but yet the people at the sprint store said they have seen this several times with the evo design. Right now my phone is still at the support center waiting for a supervisor to call me and get this handled. all i want is the OS fixed on my phone. this is very upsetting. **** update!!.

Please let me know if you had any luck with your phone. Thanks.

• 7. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

The same thing happened to me. I havent had any luck getting my phone fixed yet either. I talked to sprint and told them that you said something about the software and they told me that they dont understand how that could be the problem because pretty much after the phone takes up the software they cant really get it off. Its prettty much permanent so no wonder theyve been giving you the run around. I ended up taking my phone to the repair center as advised by sprint. They even paid the 35 dollar fee that would be charged to me since i dont have any insurance. They opened the back of my phone as soon as he did that he said that he had bad news. according to the little tab right above my charger, it was water damaged. It was red and they said that it started off as red and white. When the little tab comes in contact with water it turns pink then it turns red eventually if it is alot of water damage. Mine was red. They told me that because the tab was red they were not allowed to work on the phone and that since i didnt have insurance i would have to buy another phone from them or someone else who was willing to sell another sprint phone that i could just add to my account ( like on amazon or ebay). I found out that there are a whooooole bunch of people with this same problem. Their phone cuts on and off after about six months, they take it to the repair shop, they tell them water damage because the tab on their phone is red. I advised them that i had never dropped my phone in water or anything like that. The man said that it could be caused by steam by having the phone in the bathroom when you take a shower. sweat like when some women put their phone inside of their bra and its really hot outside, humidity, or going from a really hot place to a really cold place. I thought that it was b.s and so does everyone else with this problem. Its been like 100 degrees outside lately and a heck of a lot of humidity so your telling me that i cant use my phone outside in the summer time?? I understand the steam in the shower thing and the sweat thing if you keep it in your bra because theres alot of moisture in both of those places. But the humidity, and going from hot to cold thing is just rediculous. But instead of buying another phone from sprint you can try amazon. The lowest prices ive seen on there is like 170 (for the evo design) and thats unused. The used prices are even cheaper. But im going to a place i found that just fixes phones and just may end up paying them to fix it instead of buying a new phone. Hopefully this option would be cheaper.

• 8. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    fireguy_6364 Master

have them fully open the phone up. those front water strips are notorious for showing false. once they open the phone fully there is another strip deeper inside...if no water damage then that one will show as normal even though the outer one shows water damage. they can also tell by no water spots within the phone itself.

oceanburt wrote:

The same thing happened to me. I havent had any luck getting my phone fixed yet either. I talked to sprint and told them that you said something about the software and they told me that they dont understand how that could be the problem because pretty much after the phone takes up the software they cant really get it off. Its prettty much permanent so no wonder theyve been giving you the run around. I ended up taking my phone to the repair center as advised by sprint. They even paid the 35 dollar fee that would be charged to me since i dont have any insurance. They opened the back of my phone as soon as he did that he said that he had bad news. according to the little tab right above my charger, it was water damaged. It was red and they said that it started off as red and white. When the little tab comes in contact with water it turns pink then it turns red eventually if it is alot of water damage. Mine was red. They told me that because the tab was red they were not allowed to work on the phone and that since i didnt have insurance i would have to buy another phone from them or someone else who was willing to sell another sprint phone that i could just add to my account ( like on amazon or ebay). I found out that there are a whooooole bunch of people with this same problem. Their phone cuts on and off after about six months, they take it to the repair shop, they tell them water damage because the tab on their phone is red. I advised them that i had never dropped my phone in water or anything like that. The man said that it could be caused by steam by having the phone in the bathroom when you take a shower. sweat like when some women put their phone inside of their bra and its really hot outside, humidity, or going from a really hot place to a really cold place. I thought that it was b.s and so does everyone else with this problem. Its been like 100 degrees outside lately and a heck of a lot of humidity so your telling me that i cant use my phone outside in the summer time?? I understand the steam in the shower thing and the sweat thing if you keep it in your bra because theres alot of moisture in both of those places. But the humidity, and going from hot to cold thing is just rediculous. But instead of buying another phone from sprint you can try amazon. The lowest prices ive seen on there is like 170 (for the evo design) and thats unused. The used prices are even cheaper. But im going to a place i found that just fixes phones and just may end up paying them to fix it instead of buying a new phone. Hopefully this option would be cheaper.

• 9. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

Yeah i noticed that the red and white indicator on the top of my battery was still red and white. Everyone keeps telling me that the problem is that the battery doesnt last long in the evo's. They say if i just replace the battery then my phone will work fine. The sprint repair store said that since my battery is charging then its not the battery. But my phone will have a green light one second and then when i cut it back on and put the charger back in it (because thats the only way that i can get it to stay on) the battery is all the way down to 43% again. So it might be the battery. Im going to try replacing it as soon as i get some money. However, this is rediculous. My warranty should cover anything that goes wrong with the battery. But, because of some little tab on the outside of my phone they can consider it water damaged so that they dont have to do anything with it. This is bs. but whatever i guess people will cheat you all your life.

• 10. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    fireguy_6364 Master

HTC has made some pretty decent strides battery life wise since the OG EVO days. batteries are unfortunatley NOT covered under warranty. technically thats a wear item..but i would still push for them to open it fully and show you the OTHER sticker...then you'll believe its had water damage. my OG EVO sticker shows its had water damage..yet the other sticker doesnt..

i forgot if you posted it already and theres WAY to much to go back through and read..but by chance have you done  a factory reset FR? it could always be something that happened along with the update. wouldnt be the first time a update didnt load correctly and messed something up a bit. try that first and then push towards the battery..normally batteries dont just up and croak on you (unless excess heat comes into play or the obvious water damage). or worse case scenario upgrade into a larger capacity extended battery like im running on my evo. it DOES make it slightly thicker (depending on how large you go) but the battery life is well worth it

• 11. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

I looked online and tryed to do a factory reset on my phone. I followed the directions and all but when i got to the point where i was supposed to "scroll down" with the volume button. My phone wouldnt let me scroll and then it just cut off and i tryed this multiple times. I tryed the regular way to do it (by going to the settings, storage, and then clear storage) idk if they are the same or not which is why i was trying the other way but i did that a long time ago when my phone first stared acting crazy and that doesnt work either. So idk what the problem is.

• 12. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    fireguy_6364 Master

did you pull the battery first and then put it back in?

• 13. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

yeah i pulled the battery out and put it back in. But on wednsday im going to take it to a normal cell phone repair shop. I already called and gave them my phone type and they said that they can tell me what is wrong with my phone. Im going to go ahead and pay for the diagnostic and for them to fix it. because im tired of trying. This has been going on for about a month now.

• 14. Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!
    Lunday17 Newbie

Update for everyone on my phone issues. I finally got a call back from HTC support. They agreed to send my phone back without any repairs and still claims it has nothing to do with the software. I have also purchased a new battery before i sent my phone out to HTC support and it did the same thing. So i was stuck having to buy a new phone with my available upgrade at best buy since they were the only one with the evo design in stock and it cost me $100 for the phone and $35 to activate. its a new phone and i assure you i am not doing any software updates on this for a long time. so i never got anywhere on this issue and waisted alot of my time. I am still upset with getting the run around from every vendor associated with this phone. But when i get my old phone back from HTC i am able to take it into sprint and do a buy back which i think is like $40 bucks. Hope you all have better luck than i did.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points