1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 3:12 AM by MsAngel198one RSS

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound

PirateNatty Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Am I missing something here?  I went into my camera settings and I can't turn the shutter sound off on the camera... not even when the phone is on silent.  Why is this?  And why can the Galaxy S3s on other carrier turn the shutter sound off?

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

"Sprint has had a policy in place for the last couple of years as part of our device camera specification that requires our OEM partners to ensure that the shutter sound in the camera cannot be muted by the end user. This policy is in place for privacy reasons so that using the native camera creates a sound that would be noticeable to any subjects of a photograph, willing or unwilling. This policy is another example of Sprint™s ongoing commitment to privacy when it comes to mobile device usage. This specification does not have any bearing on 3rd party camera applications that a user may download and use outside of the native device camera."

Abe

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    PirateNatty Newbie

That's absolutly absurd.  How about my privacy as the owner of the phone?  I can't take a picture of my pets without them getting startled by the noise.  I can't take a sensual picture for my boyfriend without everyone knowing that I'm taking a picture in the bathroom.  WHERE IS MY PRIVACY!?

Sprint is worried about the privacy of those who are probably not their customers while violating the privacy of their customers.  Thank you for caring about your customers Privacy so much.  I'll be looking into other carriers.  This is the last straw.

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    jim.s3 Newbie

Looks like this thread is a couple weeks stale.  I found other apps - such as camera 360 has a volume control on it, and it's free.  Shop around, get rid of your camera shortcuts and replace them with your newly replaced app.  Thanks and good luck!

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    jharv2389 Newbie

How long has this policy been in place cause ive been a customer for about 2 to 3 years and have have about 3 phones (EVO 4G, EVO 3D 4G, iPhone 4S) which on all of them i was able to turn off the shutter sound. I have to agree it is a bit awkward when you have people staring at you whenever you take a picture. Then you have to explain why you can't shut it off. So Sprint I'm would like to request that y'all re-think that policy cause it sound like a load of malarky.

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    racerfx Regular Visitor

I agree. No other phone I have had with Sprint has not been able to turn this off. When I'm at an event like golf, you definately don't want a shutter going off. I have to use my regular camera that I can turn off the shutter. This is a dumb policy.

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    Brad4038 Newbie

I think this is the worst policy ever.  What about my rights as a phone user.  When I called Samsung, they had told me that it is only Sprint who has this requirement.  I have tried the 3rd party apps and I am just not happy with any of them.  I have been a Sprint customer for almost 10 years and this is the first time I am sorry that I renewed my contract.  I hope they change this soon and do an update on the phone to allow us to turn off the sound, or I will be switching after my contract is up. 

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    SHANDYCAT Regular Visitor

Are you kidding me? I specifically bought this phone because I'd heard it had such an awesome camera and intended to replace my digital camera with it. I work in Marketing and must often take photos of our products, etc. for use in marketing materials, but my co-workers are all complaining about the distracting noise. My boss has told me I can no longer use it. What a waste of $200! 

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

If the many laws that have been floated about through Congress over the last few years are any indication. This may end up being a federal requirement. Many members of Congress have shown that they want to add this requirement to protect people's privacy. The same exact reasons that Sprint has this policy, primarily to prevent voyeurs from using phone cameras with silent shutters to take pictures of people without their consent.

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    SfMartinW Regular Visitor

The idea that I need to download a seperate app to take pictures at churches, weddings and other ceremonies significantly decreases the value of the phone and does nothing to protect the privacy of anyone.  You really don't need to worry about 'casual' photographers and cripple everyone's product.  Profiessional voyers will simply download a quiet camera app or root their phone.  This "policy" is completely misguided and futile.

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    racerfx Regular Visitor

Reminds me of the GPS agree button. In my 2003, I have to click the agree button everytime I start the car. Now the installed systems don't require it. When lawyers get involved, it messes every technology up.

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    SfMartinW Regular Visitor

Heh.  Reminds of when camera phones were not allowed in the locker rooms at 24 hour fitness.  What happened to those?

There are already voyerism laws, so let's focus on those.  Searching on Google Play for "Silent Camera" returns over 2 pages of results.  Although some are of dubious quality or might come with mallware. 

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    Whadaya_no_JOE Regular Visitor

I, too, have an animal the is very sensitive to noises, and this actually angers me. Looks like I'll be rooting my device so I can mute the camera noise.

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    ncdogg Newbie

All I have to say to Sprint is this is dumb dumb DUMB. My only problem with this is, why ONLY Samsung phones? You can turn off the iPhone, LG, and HTC phone shutter sound so this is BS Sprint and your policy is a joke.

• 14. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound
    digitaldawg1 Newbie

SPRINT, for the love of God, come up with an update soon that offers the choice to disable the camera shutter sound, and catch up with normal thinking that most other carriers of smartphones have. Get rid of those with much time on their hands who make silly decisions with effects that are obviously not well received.  I have not desire to seek out exotic solutions to the shutter noise problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.  Get lawyers who aren't afraid of their own shadows, and tech administrators who aren't so intimidated of them. I am disturbed by the thinking that created this Sprint choice!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next