This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2012 12:28 AM by CIRCLES1371111 RSS

Early phone upgrade

c_brookhart Bronze Expert
Currently Being Moderated

I am eligble to upgrade my phone as of October 1, 2012. With the ongoing issues I've had with my current phone, I was hoping that a new phone would resolve the issues I've been facing with my current phone. Would an early upgrade, say maybe 1 or 2 weeks early, really make a significant difference if I am agreeing to another 2 year contract? When I got my current phone, I was able to get an early upgrade and it wasn't a problem. Apparently now, there has to be a promotion in place in order to get an early upgrade. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am not currently on contract (but mostly likely will be once I renew).

• 1. Re: Early phone upgrade
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello.  Have you checked with your local Sprint Store?  It has to be a corporate owned Sprint Store and not a 3rd party Sprint Store.  When using the Store Locator, look for the title of the store to say ONLY "Sprint Store" and this is one of ours.  These locations are the only ones that facilitate the early upgrade program.  It is also true, that our new policy is the customer has to be targeted for this offer, meaning it will be listed in your account.  They will be able to check either way for you. 

Hope this helps,

Tom Deaver

Sprint Tech ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available Friday, Saturday, Sunday

• 2. Re: Early phone upgrade
    c_brookhart Bronze Expert

So far, I have checked at a Sprint kiosk, a Best Buy store, and have called in to customer service. I've been informed that my upgrade date is 10/1/12 and nothing can be done until then. When I explained the problems with the phone to customer service, they checked the system and determined the "network vision upgrade" is in progress in my area.

I'm hoping that someone at a Sprint corporate store will be able to help me out.

Does 2-3 weeks really make a difference though as far as an upgrade?

• 3. Re: Early phone upgrade
    Levi4u Master

As of June 1st Sprint isn't allowing early upgrades. But Sprint recently launched the "Upgrade Now" program where you can buy out of your current contract and upgrade. With what little time you have left you would be charged $50 and then you will be able to purchase at new customer price. This program is only available in corporate stores.

• 4. Re: Early phone upgrade
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

As stated previously, the "Upgrade Now" offer must be present on your account to be eligible for the early upgrade.  Our documentation of this program states that if the offer is NOT listed, then the customer is not eligible.  Since our Corporate Stores are the only channels who can process the early upgrade it will be best to check with them.  Additionally, this program also requires a "buyback" of the customer's current device meaning you would have to trade-in your current phone to get the early upgrade. 

Tom Deaver

Sprint Tech ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available Friday, Saturday, Sunday

• 5. Re: Early phone upgrade
    CIRCLES1371111 Newbie

I have the same problem, I have two phones that are ready for an upgrade as of 10-1-12.  I have been a good customer for 11 years, and I have to wait until 10-1-12, or they will give me the    Upgrade Now   ,  however that would cost me $ 50 per phone to do so.  I am waiting until  10-1-12 to get my upgrades.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points