12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 5:27 AM by anthonykhl RSS

One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?

swbellah714 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, this seems like a simple question, but I have seen many conflicting answers upon my searches, and with the iPhone 5 preorder happening in 11 hours, well, I thought I would come here.

I bought an iPhone 4S shortly after release at my local Sprint Store in November of last year (2011), switching from T-Mobile.  I'm wanting to preorder the iPhone 5 tomorrow.  While I was with T-Mobile, they always allowed me to buy a new phone at any time at the price that you pay with a 2-year contract (in the case of the iPhone 5, it's $199.99), as long as I renewed my two-year contract effective from the date I bought the new phone, which made sense, since I am paying the price "with 2-year contract". 

From what I'm reading about Sprint, I have to wait until my two year agreement is up on my original iPhone 4S purchase (in my case, November of 2013) to buy the iPhone 5 at $199.99 (or any other phone for that matter), and then I'd have to renew for another two years at that time (in essence, through October of 2015).  If I did want to pre-order the iPhone 5 tomorrow and get it on release day, I have to pay the full retail price of the phone of $650.00, or trade in my 4S (which the buyback program says is worth $250.00) against that $650.00 amount, pay a pro-rated "cancellation" fee on my current two-year agreement to begin a new contract, or any combination of those options.

I'm simply wanting to buy the new iPhone.  They release a new one every year.  Will I be able to just pre-order/buy the iPhone 5 at $199.99 and extend my two year contract for two years from now, or do I have to wait until my current two-year on the 4S expires to get that price?  Apple releases a new iPhone every year, if I have to wait until November of 2013 to get a new phone with Sprint, the iPhone 6 or whatever it will be called will likely be out by then.

I'm not wanting to pay the $650.00 "full price" that you would pay without a contract.  I don't want to "trade in" my 4S for $250.00 against the $650.00 amount and pay $400.00 for an iPhone 5.  I don't want to pay a $100-200 "early termination" fee on my Sprint contract-- I'm not wanting to cancel my Sprint account/number, I'm wanting to EXTEND it.  I'm more than happy to extend my plan for an additional two years with the iPhone 5.  I think it would be practical for me to be able to pre-order the iPhone 5 at $199.99 with a new 2-year contract from now, since Apple releases one every YEAR.  I'd also likely upgrade to a higher LTE data plan as well.

I mean, Sprint only started selling the iPhone (4 and 4S) in October of 2011, correct?  Any owner of a Sprint iPhone has had it less than a year.  I'm sure there are a lot of customers out there like myself who want the iPhone 5 as well.  We shouldn't have to wait until fall 2013 to buy one at the customer/2-year price.

I'm sorry if that is overly wordy for a simple inquiry, and maybe it will all be answered on the pre-order page starting tomorrow (current iPhone owners are eligible to upgrade to the 5).  But everywhere I have read indicates that I have to wait until my original two-year agreement on my 4S expires before I can get any different phone at the 2-year agreement price.  I think that is silly.  If I want a new phone, as long as I re-up for two more years, I shouldn't have to pay full retail/no contract price for it.  Cell phones are outdated in months, and I changed phones several times with T-Mobile without an issue, extending my 2-year agreement every time.

Can anyone answer definitively on the above?  Thanks

• 1. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

You will have to pay the iphone at full price if you are not eligible for an upgrade.

Now I do not think you have to pay an early termination fee nor will your contract be extended meaning that in November 2013 you can still upgrade even if you buy the iphone 5 at full prince. (Can a Sprint Employee can confirm this I am not 100% sure and I think the upgrade fee of 36 dollars still applies.)

Now your upgrade period is 20 month after you sign your new contract not the 24 full month. You can check your upgrade availability at https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do or by texting to 1311 the word upgrade from your phone.

• 2. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    PHXJAG75 Regular Visitor

I have only ever had Verizon or Sprint, but they both work under the "New Every Two" model, meaning you sign a 2 year contract and are expected to fulfil it.  Now, Sprint will let you sign a new 2 -year contract at 22 months because they know if you get to 24 months you can go anywhere you want.  But they don't let you tear up your current contract and start a new 2-year contract any time you want.  They are banking on the people who want the new phone every year.  Those people will end up shelling out an extra $200 or so every year just to have the latest.  Sorry.

• 3. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    ROBERTNEM Regular Visitor

What about those of us who would like to get the new phone now and extend our curent contracts out another two years.  Preorder now for a 3 year commit total, new plus existing?   or How about letting users buy out their contract so sprint sees the money upfront?   All of these things sprint wont allow you to do.  Wich I dont understand why.  Sprint is getting their money in the end.  Especally with a contract buyout.   They wont allow any of us who switched to sprint last year for the 4S to buyout the contract.   That is wrong!    Between this, the horrible service I have gotten the past 4 months of vision upgrades,  I am just waiting for a material change in contract so I can stick sprint with their ETF fees.   I am very upset at sprint and their lackluster of an effort.   Sprint ultimalty forgets who pays thier bills at the end of the day and who they are here to serve.  

• 4. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    SHANER5472 Newbie

I have heard of the upgrade now program. I don't know who is eligilbe or not, but if you are for a fee $50 to 170$ you could upgrade now and get the discount price of $199 and trade in the iPhone 4s for $250 which by my math would be 170+199-250=$119 you would pay for the iPhone 5. I have activated my upgrade now option for 50 but it takes a little time from what I am told (24 to 48 hours). I am eligible because my contract is up within 4 months I am not sure how close you have to be to have that option.

All you have to do is call them up and ask if you are eligible and if you are you will be paying less than the rest of us!

Good Luck

• 5. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    PHXJAG75 Regular Visitor

You are allowed to buy out your contract.  That's what the ETF is.  It's a prorated amount based on how much time you have left on your contract.

• 6. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    Loremonger Regular Visitor

[@ROBERTNEM] Dude. All of the terms and conditions are spelled out explicitly when you sign on. If those are unacceptable, the time to vote with your dollar is before you pull the trigger, not a year into your contract. Look at it this way, the iPhone 5s will be out this time next year. You can upgrade then, and if you ride out the contract, you can even switch to another carrier with terms you like better.

• 7. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    SAND1va Newbie

Ask for early upgrade, I got charge 125 so only paid the 125 but I get the iPhone 5. @199.....I had just purchase the iPhone 4S when it came out last year. Best buy would buy your phone back plus give you an extra $25 on a gift card. I got 245 iPhone 4S 16gb white +25=270-220 iPhone 5=50 gift card remaining but the $125 for the upgrade fee will be charged on the sprint bill......

• 8. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

swbellah714,

I'll be glad to review your account and the options you have for your upgrade.  In order to do so, I'll need you to private message me some information (such as your phone number, first and last name and your security pin or answer to the security question on your account).

To send a private message:

1.  Click on my name (Below my picture)

2.  Select Send a private message (Under Actions on the far right)

Under most circumstances, an upgrade offer is available every 22 months.  That being said, we do have buyback options available for all devices as well.  That way, even if you're not available for an upgrade, you can recover some of your money back when purchasing the iPhone 5.  As of today, we are currently offering $213 for the 16 GB iPhone 4S in black.  You can click on the hyperlink above if that is not the device that you have to retrieve the actual value of the device you currently own. 

I look forward to hearing from you so I can further assist you with a resolution.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
    Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 9. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    NY13 Regular Visitor

Swebellah you can go to any carrier and they will not allow you to upgrade at discounted prices whenever you want to.  If there was such a carrier they would be bankrupt very soon. If you want Iphone 5 you have to get it at full price.  You can sell your 4s for 400 in craigslist and pay 200 more to get your I5 thats another idea for you.

• 10. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    Weslo89 Newbie

@NY13 AT&T lets you upgrade to the new iPhone every year. I did it every single year since the original iphone in 2007 up until the 4S came out (I switched to Sprint when the 4S came out)

• 11. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    SA_Viper43 Bronze Expert

Weslo89 wrote:

@NY13 AT&T lets you upgrade to the new iPhone every year. I did it every single year since the original iphone in 2007 up until the 4S came out (I switched to Sprint when the 4S came out)

Not any more. No carrier allows you to upgrade every year. The first year goes to pay for the phone subsidy and the second year is profit. That's how it works.

• 12. Re: One year into two year Sprint contract-iPhone 5 preorder?
    anthonykhl Newbie

The disappointing thing is, when you trade in a phone, only 50% of that value can go toward a new device. The rest can only be applied to accessories.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points