This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 4:15 PM by mavka RSS

Free Hotspots

MAKO4x4305 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Other carriers are now offering cellphones that act as a hotspot at no additional cost. Even Verizon is now doing this. Will sprint ever jump on the bandwagon or will we still have to pay extra for something that others get for free? Even at home when you pay for an Internet service you are not limited to just one device. So why shouldn't we be able to use the Internet service that we pay for on our phones in the same way?

• 1. Re: Free Hotspots
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello and thank you for your feedback.  Verizon also doesn't offer an "unlimited" data plan for your phone.  As a result, they can allow your usage to be either mobile hotspot or the phone itself because it's limited. 

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

• 2. Re: Free Hotspots
    MAKO4x4305 Newbie

OK thats all fine and dandy but that still does not answer the queation.  They still offer data and they still make the hotspot free. If we are paying for a "TRUELY UNLIMITED PLAN" then it would make sence that we would be able to use our phones as a hotspot as well.

• 3. Re: Free Hotspots
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

It's unlimited for the active device (your smart phone). It cost extra to make it hotspot

• 4. Re: Free Hotspots
    Dj_Damjano Master

MAKO4x4305 -

I think you have the picture wrong. In your home, the "device" is your home because the local provider services your home not your PC's, that's why you can not give it to your neighborhood, since you get it unlimited.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have free hotspot, but I just think that the point you bring up is not valid.

Also, I'm sure Verizon or AT&T will love for you to use the hotspot since they will make more money out of you at the end of the month. Few phones I know they have including iphone, does not have the hotspot enabled.

• 5. Re: Free Hotspots
    smotrs Master

Verizon is offering the Hotspot but you still have to share the data limit on the plan. So If you have a 3GB data limit and have Hotspot enabled for 3 additional devices, then you actually have 4 devices (your phone and the 3 hotspot devices) using that 3GB of data.

Your gonna have overages real soon.

• 6. Re: Free Hotspots
    stricje Newbie

I agree with the originator of this post - I sometimes travel on vacation and just want to connect my iPad to the wifi to get a simple news update, do a quick check of email or something that isn't data intensive, not to stream a movie through it.   Would be nice to just to be able to turn on the hotspot occasionally -- not to run my house.  Heck, I only use < 500 MB of data a month.  Maybe Sprint should consider some 3GB plans with free wireless hotspot. 

I've even asked my nephew who is a Sprint employee to mention the ability to turn on the hotspot for like a $1-$2 for a day -- for travel with an iPad to check email.  I agree with the original post - this capability needs to be there in some form - capped or whatever.

MAKO---- thanks for posting this question since I was going to ask the same thing.  I think this entire post needs to get forwarded up to the marketing group.

Thanks-

J

• 7. Re: Free Hotspots
    Levi4u Master

You can add it on an as neded bases and only be charged for the days it's activated on the account, About $.66 a day if you choose the $19.99 2gb plan. Just go to your account page and select "Change my services" and add it, When done go back and remove it. I have it bookmarked on my phones browser for easy access.

stricje wrote:

I agree with the originator of this post - I sometimes travel on vacation and just want to connect my iPad to the wifi to get a simple news update, do a quick check of email or something that isn't data intensive, not to stream a movie through it.   Would be nice to just to be able to turn on the hotspot occasionally -- not to run my house.  Heck, I only use < 500 MB of data a month.  Maybe Sprint should consider some 3GB plans with free wireless hotspot. 

I've even asked my nephew who is a Sprint employee to mention the ability to turn on the hotspot for like a $1-$2 for a day -- for travel with an iPad to check email.  I agree with the original post - this capability needs to be there in some form - capped or whatever.

MAKO---- thanks for posting this question since I was going to ask the same thing.  I think this entire post needs to get forwarded up to the marketing group.

Thanks-

J

• 8. Re: Free Hotspots
    mavka Bronze Expert

Hey, stricje, I did exactly what your requesting on a trip a couple of years ago. I called Sprint to activate my device for data sharing as a hotspot, and the rep advised me to turn it off once I got home. The charge on my bill was a pro-rated amount for just the days that I had the service. That was very helpful.

• 9. Re: Free Hotspots
    stricje Newbie

Thanks guys (Levi4u and Mavka) - this could help the original post question also.  

I am on the "Friends and Family" plan so I guess I can just call in and see if it's available to me also like this.

$2-$3 for a long weekend of hot-spot access could be helpful to folks on here.

I guess I need to read more about features available to me - or maybe Sprint could send around a quarterly "Did you know that..."  as a marketing tool.

Thanks for the tips.  As a friends/family member and always promoting the Sprint service, I do want them to be competitive with other carriers in features -- not just "unlimited data".  In reality, I'm sure many folks like myself use much less than they pay for - I read this in the WSJ recently.

Thanks again guys for the tips!

-Jeff

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points