ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G issues in Iowa City? or something more?

Highlighted
Patron

3G issues in Iowa City? or something more?

I want to first start out by saying that I have tried the following fixes. Sources were Sprint, Google, self knowledge, and viewers like you. Also that my device is a Samsung Galaxy S3 running stock Android 4.0

*Hard reset with battery removed for 30 seconds. Rebooted and retested.

*Soft reset with standard power button restart.

*Updated PRL and Profile.

*Updated all software.

*Factory reset with and without updates. With only Speedtest app installed.

*Switching network from CMDA to CMDA/LTE

The first picture is tests from Iowa City. And the second is from Solon, which is about 15 minutes north of Iowa City.

I live in Solon and use my WiFi at home so I never thought to test the 3G out there before trying all the fixes. But as you can see and as I found out... it is not an issue with my phone.

Is Iowa City not going to be fixed? Or is there something I'm missing?

They set my phone up based on my home address in Solon. So is there any chance my phones stuck on that tower? Even though I update the PRL and Profile after I get to work in Iowa City everyday?

Sprint told me at the store, that it is not my phone. That it automatically updates to closer towers as I travel. Which I can believe cause my call service is full bars and outstanding everywhere I go. But the data speeds are as if I were still on a tower in Solon.

I have read many forums about this 3G issue in Iowa City but all are dated from 2011 to 2012 and a lot of them from 2012 say that their problem has been fixed and that they are receiving at least 700kbps.... I would kick a puppy for 700kbps right now. I'm always testing it all day long and the highest speeds I've seen so far in Iowa city are spikes of 100kbps with 700ms, but it only lasts about 10 minutes.

Please, any input would be great. And yes... I know Sprint is the slowest network and blah blah blah the best fix is to drop Sprint...  but I'm not looking for a Sprint bashing. I'm looking for an intelligent response. Thanks for reading and future thanks for any information that could help my issue.

Thanks again.

13 REPLIES 13
Patron

Re: 3G issues in Iowa City? or something more?

I didn't know they uploaded backwards. So you can see that the first picture is not Iowa City. Its Solon. Sorry about that.

Wizard

Thank you for the detailed post Barlisk84. Let's first take a look at the network where you're running these speed tests in Iowa City.  I'll see if there's an existing issue, or if there are capacity plans in the near future.  Can you please provide your nearest cross streets and zip code for the Iowa City location? I'll let you know what I can find.

Thanks,

*David

Sprint Social Care Team

Patron

Area code 52240. Closest intersection would be 1st Ave and Lower Muscatine. Sycamore mall area.

Wizard

I looked into that area and I am showing that nearly every tower is scheduled for 3G capacity augment upgrades here in the near future.  The tower closest to the location you listed looks like it will be the first to get the upgrade. It is scheduled to complete by the end of the month.  So we certainly understand that there are data capacity limitations there and we are in process of increasing this to provide a better experience.

I hope this helps address your questions, please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

*David

Sprint Social Care Team

Patron

I guess ill wait and see how it goes before I go any further. Thanks for looking into it. Is it safe to assume with such upgrades to the 3G network that we won't be seeing 4G anytime soon? Or are these upgrades that can be easily converted to and or used by 4G networks as well? Cause I'd imagine that the capacity would have to be alot higher for 4G.  I only ask cause I see some of the other cities in Iowa, like Ames and cedar rapids got upgraded to 4G. Kinda thought that meant Iowa City would be on its way considering we are housing the University of Iowa. I'm not gonna marked this answered just yet until I see the out come of the upgrade. Thanks again. See ya in a month.

Wizard

I don't have information/access right now on whether these will be normal capacity upgrades or if they will be converting the entire site to prepare for Network Vision.  There's a lot that goes into where and when we can setup LTE/NV towers like permitting, zoning, FCC approvals etc.  Let me know either way how things are in a few weeks.

Thanks.

*David C

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

This issue hasn't been resolved.  I live in this neighborhood near Muscatine Ave. and Court St. and if the data network has recently been "upgraded" than those upgrades aren't perceptively discernible by the end user.  I just did a speedtest and the download rate was 38 kilobits per second and 997ms ping.  This is the norm for this area and gets even worse during peak usage times.  Data speeds in other parts of Iowa City/Coralville are generally around 200-400 kbps which is far better than in my neighborhood but still way below Sprint's advertised 3g speed of at least 600kbps.  I've done all the troubleshooting steps including updating profile and PRL and my phone usually gets better data speeds in other cities so it is not an issue with my phone.

Journeyman

Iowa may be one of the places were the current 4G is being replaced and LTE is being restored. I made a post on my profile about the current Sprint issue. In addition make sure to update your profile, and call a Sprint store near you: they always have more information of why something is happening.

Happy Holidays!

Patron

Its no better. Its still about 800ms and 60kbps on average and around 1000ms and 40kbps at peak hours. Anymore news or updates? This is getting old and at this point would rather just find another service provider cause it doesn't seem like this is going anywhere. Based on other threads it looks like this has been going on for a very long time.

Patron

Iowa has 4G in a few locations but not Iowa City. But this is not a speed issue, it is a capacity issue. 3G... 4G... LTE... does not matter what network were on... there are just way too many people abusing their unlimited 3G in this area. You would think they would limit Virgin Mobile customers and throttle their speeds down before throttling the Sprint customers, considering were paying three times more than them for our service. Im sure thats not the entire problem but I would think it has a lot to do with it. Also Virgin Mobile allows Wifi Tethering with out paying an additional fee for it. Which could also be another issue as the people that know this are probably using their 3G as a home internet source through their phone. I've heard of people with Virgin Mobile and Sprint Unlimited using over 100GB a month! That is insane! They really need to nip this in the butt.

I update my profile daily, I have called Sprint Customer Service and the 3 local Sprint Stores with no help at all. Its always the same reply "We are aware of this issue and it looks like they're in the proccess of repairing it, it should be done by the end of the month". I'm guessing it will always be "by the end of the month" until the last month of my contract.

Journeyman

I just did a speed test on my work phone that is on Verizon's network.  It had a download speed of 1,771kbps and a ping of 161ms which means their network is 37 times faster than Sprint's in my neighborhood.  This was on their 3g network and not on LTE which they already have in this area.  Unfortunately, there really isn't any point to be dreaming about Sprint LTE because it's probably not coming to Iowa City just like WiMax wasn't even a glimmer of hope. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.