Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gb cap is a joke 500 dollar bill

Patron

5gb cap is a joke 500 dollar bill

So i had a 595u aircard with the 60 dollar unlimited data plan. It was great did anything i wanted didnt have to worry about overages. Well the battery on the card exploded for no apparent reason. The workers at best buy said it was the 3rd one they had seen like that that week. So they tell me about this new u301 that has 3g/4g coverage. OH BOY I THINK WHOOO 4G. Well that was part sarcasm considering hardly anywhere even has 4g so its a joke to even offer it as if you are going to be getting it. Anyways back to the real point, so they sell me this u301 and fail to mention anything about this new 5gb cap that the legends at sprint thought was a good idea. Well one day the aircard just shuts off, no call, no email no nothing just shuts off. So i call sprint service and they say oh it might be broken bla bla who knows. Then they check my account a i find that i owe 500 dollars for "overuse of data". SERIOUSLY is that a joke. Well i am then informed of the 5gb cap on 3g service. Now im not your average 60 year old geizer who will be fooled with being told that 98 percent of users never go over 5gb because i find that hard to believe. They told me i could watch a couple hundred youtube vids a month with is nothing considering my whole family uses the internet off of this card. My son plays online games and they said he could play one session of xbox live a month... Who do they think they are fooling its ridiculous 5gb IS NOTHING. Ive used 2gbs today just surfing the web and watching videos. This new cap wants us to treat the internet as if we are helen keller in 1998 end of story. The least you could do is offer an unlimited plan for 80-100 dollars are something, at least have the option! The whole 4g is a farce at the moment only select cities have it but then they tell you that its unlimited. Well who cares if its unlimited if no one can even get it. The guy literally told me i should go to a friends house who has 4g to download any large files yeah that makes tons of sense.. Sprint is a joke now end of story.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

5GB is a ton of data. What were you downloading? Whole movies? I watch youtube, surf all day, stream music and everything else and have not gotten even close to 1 GB. It is obviously abuse on your part. If I was Sprint I'd let you slide this time but come on, 5 GB? That's ridiculous.

OH Gaming on a Sprint Wireless Connection = Retarded. Just get a dedicated line.

Message was edited by: ksm0310

Master

5gb is hardly a ton of data, I and many others use much more then that on our phones alone. The EVO is being reported to use MUCH more than that in the short time it has been on the market.

Journeyman

I agree. I have been with Sprint for over 15 years and  I had an unlimited internet air-card plan and the sales lady suggested I upgrade to the 4G overdrive with an UNLIMITED plan. Boy, did I fall for that BS. Now, I have a $710.00 bill and customer support is effectively telling me "too bad". Sprint sucks!

Patron

I've got the EVO and I can attest to the data usage comment above.  I just found out I'm over 1.3GB in about 40% of this month's billing cycle.  Is the 3G cap applicable to all so-called unlimited 3G data plans?  I didn't notice this in the fine print as I'm sure most people don't.  Thanks for the tip.

Journeyman

They did the same to me and i am not happy about it.

Journeyman

The Sprint sales rep that I worked with (Lloyd Ctr, Portland) when my 3G modem died while on a business trip, was concerned about switching me from my unlimited 3G plan to the 4G-unlimited/3G-limited plan when I asked for a replacement modem.  He wanted to be sure that my hometown location provided 4G coverage since I would be moving to from unlimited to limited 3G service.  I remember this very clearly--not all sales people are as upfront and detailed with their customers as was the rep at the Portland retail location.

The sales rep doubled-checked my typical connection address to determine that I did indeed have 4G service nearby before selling the card to me and he were very clear about the limited 3G coverage.  However, I don't know that he tracked my average monthly usage to determine how close I was to the 5GB limit.

I am a heavy user--online: 8 hours per day, 5-days per week, but I knew that I was not hitting 5GB of use per month (because I track it myself--it's easy to do right on this website).  However, I would recommend that if a Sprint employee reads this post, they implement a policy to check customers' data usage prior to moving them from an unlimited plan to a limited plan.  And, if the transaction is made online, it is made very clear that they are moving to a monthly data limit--it seems that the online system could easily provide a warning to customers in excess of the usage limit, as the online system has all of the information needed to check usage prior to moving from an unlimited to a limited service type.

I also asked very specific questions about types of data and types of connections (some broadband providers do not allow streamed television--like Slingbox--on their cellular networks as part of the contract agreement.)  I wrote the sales rep's answers to my questions right on the contract itself, and I read the entire Sprint contract before signing where it was also made clear that there was a limit on 3G service.

Journeyman

>I've got the EVO and I can attest to the data usage comment above.  I just found out I'm over 1.3GB in about 40% of this month's billing cycle.  Is the 3G cap applicable to all so-called unlimited 3G data plans?  I didn't notice this in the fine print as I'm sure most people don't.  Thanks for the tip.

Cell phones do not have a data cap, this is only applicable for aircards. Even with the hotspot feature the evo doesn't have a data cap.

For the aircards, they aren't meant for real heavy usage, they are more of a convienence that you can access the web so long as you are in your carriers service. If you need dedicated web for heavy usage you would be better off going a hard cable or dsl line because of the 5gb cap.

Journeyman

>I've got the EVO and I can attest to the data usage comment above.  I just found out I'm over 1.3GB in about 40% of this month's billing cycle.  Is the 3G cap applicable to all so-called unlimited 3G data plans?  I didn't notice this in the fine print as I'm sure most people don't.  Thanks for the tip.

Cell phones do not have a data cap, this is only applicable for aircards. Even with the hotspot feature the evo doesn't have a data cap.

For the aircards, they aren't meant for real heavy usage, they are more of a convienence that you can access the web so long as you are in your carriers service. If you need dedicated web for heavy usage you would be better off going a hard cable or dsl line because of the 5gb cap.

Master

The phone data plans have no limit on 3G data usage.

The mobile broadband cards have a 5GB limit on 3G network usage, 4G is unlimited. Some people may still have a grandfathered unlimited 3G plan from a while ago.

The Phone as Modem add-on (only asvailable on Business accounts now) does have a 5GB limit on 3G network usage.

The Mobile Hotspot add-on for the HTC EVO does not have a limit on 3G or 4G usage.

Usage over the 5GB limit is charged at a rate of $0.05/MB (5 cents per megabyte).

Journeyman

I just got moble broadband 3g/4g last month on cell phone plane about 72 dollars a month, and on the 30th of july I paid a bill of $223 dollars, and this month I went over my 5gb useage plan. and now I have a bill of $197 dollars, I very lucky I caught this before it go any higher. Will u know like always the devil is in the writing. I was getting free internet and all I wanted was a high speed conection, and now I have to pay a hundred dollars or more if I go over 5 gb. I think this is a dirty scam, to steal people's money.

Journeyman

5gb cap is a joke, pay 60 bucks to be on a 5gb cap and be stuck with it on a contract, or goto virgin mobile and pay 40 bucks for the same thing unlimited.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.