cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another reason why Sprint is going broke...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another reason why Sprint is going broke...

I got my latest Sprint Bill and noticed a $140 charge for my Airave unit.  I called Customer Service to see why I was being billed and they informed me that the Airave was not on the network.  I told them that perhaps the network connection was lost due to my network switch acting up and that I would check it out.  Then I asked them why nobody in the tech support group called or e-mailed me to see what was going on with the Airave unit before billing me $140 dollars. A simple e-mail or text message could have asked me to reset the Airave...  

They said that they did not have a policy to try to fix it first, and that their policy is to  just bill people when their Airave equipment stops working.  

Then I was told that Sprint would be happy to send out another Airave unit to replace the one I have….  

I said that I would reset the router and modem and that this would most likely fix the problem of the Airave not working, but no... the rep said this was not possible, and that Sprint needed to send me another Airave unit out,  and have me return the one I have!!! 

I said it was ridicules to send another Airave unit to me and have me send back the one I have BEFORE trying to reset the one I have….

BUT no they insisted (the customer service rep even went to her Supervisor to see if we could reset the unit first) on SENDING me another brand new Airave unit, and insisted that I return the one I have.  

So Sprint is going to incur the expense of mailing me out another Airave unit, and pay for shipping plus return shipping…. 

After I got off the call I reset my Airave unit AND IT IS NOW WORKING!!! 

So now not only is it costing Sprint for the customer service call,

they are sending me a replacement unit I don’t need,

and insisting that I MUST return the original Airave unit with the new one,

and go through another provisioning cycle,

And they are going to Call me again to ensure that I replaced it,

and they are going to adjust the bill to take off the original $140 dollar charge…. 

The thing that really upsets me is that not only is SPRINT wasting their money, I am now required to now waste my time unboxing the new unit, changing it out, and make a trip to the post office  or ups store to return the old one. 

All of this could have been avoided with one call, text, or e-mail from sprint to see if the Airave needed to be reset, before putting all this in motion.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Another reason why Sprint is going broke...

777Gary,

Thank you for your post, I understand how frustrating this can be. To clarify, do you remember receiving a welcome message when you first got the Airave device? If so in that same message there was a reminder that notifies our customers of the $140 fee if an unused Airave is not returned. In that same welcome message there’s a toll-free number that’s included, that dedicated team is there to help with activation the device. I do apologize for the miscommunication, there is no need for you to send the device back in & have it replaced. If the device is now working properly all we would need to do is notify our Airave support team of the matter. We appreciate your feedback, if you would like me to look into this further please let me know.

TheFifthLetter

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought you had this covered... However, today I received an e-mail notification that Sprint has shipped me a new AIRAVE unit and a return mailer for the existing unit .... even though my existing unit is working...  

To clarify: never did I disconnect the original AIRAVE unit... however, unbeknown to me the AIRAVE did stop working.  I did not get any calls or e-mails from Sprint notifying me that the unit was not working or asking me to reset it.  The first indication I got was the $140 bill for an AIRAVE unit.   I called customer support #2 to talk to a rep and she said the only thing she could do was to replace it...  I ASKED her for tech support and she said that was impossible, and that she checked with her supervisor.... She went on to say that it was obviously broke and that it would do no good to talk to tech support and that I MUST replace the unit.  After I hung up I went into the attic and reset the AIRAVE unit by powering it off and on and it worked right away. That is when I wrote the note saying it was crazy to not first try to fix it before having it replaced...  

Then I received your reply to my message and since you said there is no need to send the device back and have it replaced I assumed you contacted support and canceled the R&R order.

SO my question remains.... Should I just send back the new unit or do I need to pack up my old (BUT WORKING) unit and ship it back as the original rep said I MUST do?  

Of course if the new unit has more features or better sensitivity or throughput, perhaps I should just change the old one for the new one?

Gary

Highlighted
Wizard

777Gary,

Thanks for explaining this situation. I know that this is not what you intended to have happen, for more clarification I can look into the notes on your account and see what initiated the return. If you would like for me to do that, please PM me with your phone number and account PIN. For this situation I think the best recourse would be to return the old, but working device. This will be the best way to avoid any further headaches, and new is better anyway!

Sean L

Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok I will change it out.... If you really want to fix this current policy here is what you need to do.

Current policy:

1.  If the network determines it cannot communicate with the Airave Network sends an alert to billing to bill customer $140 for the "removed" device.   Billing sends bill to customer.  Customer then needs to pay for an unreturned unit, or call support and either get a new unit and, mail back old unit, or just mail back old unit and get a billing credit to eliminate the charge.

NEW POLICY:

1. If the network determines it cannot communicate with the Airave unit an immediate e-mail and text is sent to the customer notifying them that the Airave is not communicating with the network, and that the customer needs to either send the unit back if it is not in service anymore OR attempt to reset the unit with a link to reset procedures and a tech support number to call only after the customer follows the reset procedure and it still is not successful.  If Tech Support determines the unit to be bad ONLY then should a return and replacement order be generated.  Also, if the Airave remains off the network (note a successful reset of the Airave unit would close the ticket) and no response is received from the customer Then Network should alert billing to charge the customer for the unreturned unit.

This change in policy to attempt to notify the customer 1st will result in an overall cost savings to Sprint, and increased customer satisfaction showing that sprint cares about quality service.  Also, if a customer disconnected the Airave due to not needing it anymore (i.e., new cell tower in the neighborhood), or is moving and forgot that the airave is Sprints property the gentle e-mail reminder before billing will result in less units being "lost" and  more units being returned since the notification is timely and not a month later....

Gary

Highlighted

777Gary,

Thanks for responding, we appreciate the feedback. Just so I can understand, did you already received the shipment? If not, please send me a private message; allow me to look further into this problem.

TheFifthLetter

Sprint Social Care

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.