cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else notice the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

Highlighted

Anyone else notice the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

Anyone else notice that the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

I was recently looking into a new phone since our 2 year contract is up and our phones are pretty beat up.  While doing this I noticed that the price for the new the HTC EVO 4g is going for $199 after discounts and rebates.  I got excited becuase I logged on to Sprint and saw this wonderful message about how much they appreciate me being a loyal costumer and want to give me a $149 upgrade discount... so I figure my new EVO will only cost  me about $49 ... sweet!  Well, imagine my surprise when I log on and it's still $199 and if I'm not a Sprint customer I get the same discount ... you know the discount that I "earned" for being a customer for 2 years.  What a bunch of CRAP!  I read on to further learn that if you are a new customer and port your number from a different carrier you get an additional $50 off.  What a smack in the face ... I'e been a loyal customer now for actually 6 years and some Joe Blow off the street will get an extra $50 off and the same $150 off I get for being a customer for the past 2 years.  Obviously I am not happy about it and would like to let Sprint know ... I think you should also.  I will be posting here and any/every where else I can find on the net.  You stink Sprint!

44 REPLIES 44
Journeyman

Re: Anyone else notice the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

In full agreement! Paid 199 for my Curve 2 new back in Feb. Had nothing but problems from it since day 2 but since I am a former Blackberry technician, I knew how to troubleshoot my own device. I finally got tired of wiping and reloading the thing and decided to suffer through the call process to their technical dept. I advised that I purchased a defective device but saved THEM the trouble of sending another. Asked to go to a Bold as a COURTESY..their reply was to send the standard refurbished replacement unit OR upgrade with 150.00 discount. The device is 500.00. Out of pocket for me is still 300.00. I refuse to pay that when I suffered to begin with. I am not impressed in any way with their SLOW network, dropped calls or price for that matter. I could and am going back to VW.

Journeyman

i agree with you, i don't see anything special from being a loyal customer.  i have been with sprint for 3+ years.  i also got a blackberry that was an upgrade and cost me the same as a new customer.  NO FAIR!  i don't like my blackberry either.  SPRINT: YOU NEED TO SHOW YOUR CUSTOMERS SOME APPRECIATION!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Yeah I do agree that the loyal customer $150 off is a load of c_rap because a non Sprint customer gets the same discount as we do which makes no sense.  Besides that, I am happy with Sprint.  I haven't had bad reception anywhere really, and the Internet is pretty fast for me.  I actually just recently switched my sisters over from T-Mobile to a family plan on Sprint because it would be cheaper for us.

It would be nice for SprintPCS to change their policies for loyal customers and actually give the good standing customers $150 like it says it does.

Journeyman

I too have notice the prices are no different through Sprint or any dealers of Sprint services for the new customers & US LOYAL customers.  This is why I plan on getting my upgrade phones from Wirefly.com.  Went shopping to price compare today & that website had the better offers.  Even compared the prices to the early released Black Friday ads.

Other than prices of phones I have no complaints on services.  In fact for what I pay for my all messaging plan as a family plan is cheaper than other cell companies.  I also left 3 of my lines out of contract, 1 for 5 months & 2 for 2 months, & when I called to pay my bill by phone the representative mentioned this so I told him I was shopping around for the best service.  Ended up getting a $150 discount on my bill if I chose to stay for another 2 yrs on all 3 lines.  There is a nice slice of the cost of new phone.

Journeyman

This website is a joke also. I can't search most of the things I want to know because It's unavailable or the connection times out.

Journeyman

Hey all,

I too, am very dissatisfied with Sprint as well!  I have been a loyal customer for 12 years now, tired of bad service and the quality of the phones I get seems to be lacking.  I have had bad coverage for five years now, I keep getting told every year that it's my phone, so again get another two year contract and spend more on a new phone to find out that it's still the same.  Most recently I replaced my Treo Pro with an HTC Touch Pro 2 and was told that I would also receive the airrave for no monthy, activation or equipment charge.  The airrave is suppose to allow you to make calls while at home and not go against your minutes however, I got a bill for $150 in overages not to mention I had to pay $327 for the phone which I got $75 off for being a loyal customer and am suppose to receive a $100 rebate back for yet can't find out how.  I also found out yesterday that another carrier offers this phone for $50 to their new customers.....hmmmm?  So, for my dedication to the company I don't seem to be getting anything out of it. furthermore I have also talked my girlfriend into going with sprint, my dad, step mother, grandfather, mom and about 12 friends.  In addition to all of this, I went to a sprint store to get an accessory (because the charger is "old style"?) and was told that this model is almost two years old so I suppose the support at Sprint will now tell me that it is outdated again here in about a month when I haven't had it for about a month at this point!  Go figure!

Journeyman

It is all a joke, They just want your cash and the ability to get new customers linked to new 2yr contract. Its cheaper for me to buy minutes every month if needed than to be locked into a contract.  The sales rep recently informed me that the purchase of new minutes are not guaranteed and that I should upgrade.  I informed her "WHY" I can and will drop you at any moment I feel the need to. People think or are the understanding that when your contract is up they need to renew. It really shows you how stupid people are.  I  have been contract free for 2 yrs know.  Why on gods green earth would ANYBODY want to be locked into a phone contract? Get a used phone and activate it. You dont want used then go pay new price, remeber the carriers get them dirt cheap!!!! That new HTC you were referiing to at $199 I have heard the carrier gets it for $45.

The whole point of any business is to keep you ocked in a contract...Scr_w them and quit getting a new phone. Keep the one you have, let your contract expire and your free to do what ever the hell you want when you want.

Journeyman

One other thing is Sprint charges you an $18 fee to upgrade your phone. I just purchased the EVO and extended my service for 2 years and they charge me for the phone upgrade(not a service upgrade as I already had the service in place) and activation. They didn't even disclosed this when I called to purchase the phone.

Journeyman

I must agree! I can't anything new. Everyone has covered all the gripes and I agree with them all. But as an "extra" I would add that if Sprint would create an "intermediate" data plan (say with only 750 minute) and lower the price by $40 I could afford to get a fouth phone so my whole family can be connected. Ny guess is that it will never happen because Sprint DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING RIP ABOUT THIER CUSTOMERS!!!!

Journeyman

BTW about the post from the guy out of contract that adds minutes, changing the price plan at anytime now does not sign you into another two year contract. You can change plans all the time if you want to the current plans available and it will not extend your contract so you can stay out of contract but still get the features that the new plans have to offer.

Journeyman

I totally agree!!  I have tried calling in to talk to someone about it and I can never seem to get anyone who speaks English.  I have never been more frustrated with Sprint than I am right now.  Once I realized that they don't care about loyal customers I decided to go to a Sprint store where I could actually understand the person I was talking to.  I bought two phones with the understanding that, "If I was not fully satisfied with my phone I could bring it back within 30 days and be charged nothing."  The lady at the store said it to us and three other customers while we were waiting.  The very next day we tried to take the Rumor Touch back and they told us we would have to pay a $35.00 re-stocking fee.  It was never mentioned, but it's in small print at the bottom of the receipt.  I again tried to call Sprint and got two different people who I couldn't understand at all.  VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.