cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else notice the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

Journeyman

Re: Anyone else notice the upgrade "discount" is a joke?

The prices on these phones are getting out of control!  399-499!!  FOR A PHONE!!  And then only 75-150 for a "discount" (more like lets jack the prices up then say we are giving you a "discount")

The phone I want will cost me 324$, with a DISCOUNT!!  We have been with Sprint for about 9 yrs now!  If I was new to Sprint, I could get the same phone for 49$!!  49$ freaking dollars!!  WTH Sprint!?

Message was edited by: thesimonsens12

Master

thesimonsens12 wrote:

The prices on these phones are getting out of control!  399-499!!  FOR A PHONE!!  And then only 75-150 for a "discount" (more like lets jack the prices up then say we are giving you a "discount")

The phone I want will cost me 324$, with a DISCOUNT!!  We have been with Sprint for about 9 yrs now!  If I was new to Sprint, I could get the same phone for 49$!!  49$ freaking dollars!!  WTH Sprint!?

Message was edited by: thesimonsens12

Both new customers to Sprint and current customers that are eligible for the full upgrade get the same pricing on the phones.

For example, the LG Optimus full retail is $300.

For new customers it would end up being $150 - $100 Mail-in rebate ($50).

For current customer eligible for the 1 year discounting it would be $225.

For current customers eligible for the 2 year full discounting it would be $150 - $100 Mail-in rebate ($50).

All of these discounted prices require a new 2 year contract.

Upgrade eligibity for current customers vaaries depending on how long since you last purchased a discounted phone. After 12 months it is $75 off the retail price. After 22 months it is $150 plus any other instant savings and mail in rebates (essentially the new customer pricing). The exception to this rule is if you are upgrading the primary line on a premier account, in that case the primary line is eligible for the full upgrade pricing after only 12 months instead of the usual 22 months, the other phones are still on the usual 22 month cycle.

Journeyman

Yes I noticed and I am about one key stroke from leaving sprint for that very reason

Wizard

I am just amazed how frequently people want to to replace their phones that are only a few months or a year old.  22 months doesn't seem to be enough time to wait for the $150 instant savings plus potentially any other rebates like MIRs or additional instant savings that new customers signing up for a 2-year agreement also get.  Of course, I'm basing my astonishment on myself.  I've had my Palm Pre for 15 months now, am not planning to upgrade it any time soon.  What is it about phones?  Do people replace their digital cameras, MP3 players and other gadgets that frequently?  Had I not lost my camera 4 years ago, I would still have it.  Not saying I would keep my phone for that long, because I do realize the evolve fast, but in my opinion owning a handset for two years is a reasonable amount of time before adding it to the electronic waste bin.  I'm not trying to judge, maybe a little, but mostly spark a conversation around this.  Obviously views on this are vastly divergent.

Journeyman

First of all most people don't carry their cameras and mp players everywhere with them. Most people that are looking for a new phone after a year have logged many hours on their phone. In my case I was upgrading to a data plan. All my phones do not receive the full benefits of the data plan. In order to fully use my plan I tried to upgrade my phones with the buy 1 get 1 free promotion. For the record I've been with the company for 10 years and pay for 4 lines. I wasn't allowed to do the promotion because only 1 of my phones where 2 years old the other 1 was 14 months old. In all the years I was with the company I never tried to get an early discount or even complain about the company. But when up upgrade to a new more advanced and expensive plan I do believe you should get all the benefits of the new customers. There really is no loyalty to their long term customers.

Journeyman

I really can't see how Sprint does anything different than it's competitors. It seems like the only way to avoid all of the "baggage" fees (fees as stupid as paying for a bag on a flight) is to go with one of those "regional" providers that offer month-to-month plans or go with a prepaid phone. Regional providers seem to have really crappy coverage. If you want to use an iPhone or Blackberry, your choices are pretty limited and the phones are expensive. Now that the iPhone and Blackberry have some real competition in the new Android phones and calling can now be done through services like Skype and Google Voice, we will probably see plans come down a bit.

Although, it is disappointing that none of these companies really loves it's existing customers. We need more competition in this market. These behemoths are complacent, even with portable numbers the companies just make it harder (more expensive) to switch. Unfortunately they also make it less attractive to stay. I believe in rewarding desired behavior instead of punishing bad behavior and ignoring good. Are they "too big to fail"? They act like it.

Journeyman

I'm sorry, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something? I have had the "Sprint Data Plan" since 2006, $15.00/m. It includes unlimited web, and unlimited picture mail 24/7. Of course that's on top of  my base plan of 500min/month to include unlimited nights & week-ends starting @ 9pm, for $40.00/m.  Total = $65.00/m.  So,  if your talking about the data plan as an add on, like  mine, then you're getting ripped! Please disregard this if I'm wrong.  I'm just so discouraged with Sprint, their lack of continuity, their promises, and their lies, that it really would'nt surprise  me!

Journeyman

Hey, Levi4u...do you work for Sprint, or what? I, personally, have received several email ads from Sprint, offering new phones $300.00-$400.00 in value, for "free to new customers with a 2yr. contract, or to existing customers as an upgrade depending on their "eligibility status". My "upgrade eligibility" is only $75.00 off at this time.  In other words, a $300.00 phone that is free to a new customer, cost me just a mere $225.00! even though I am a long-standing, "valued" customer! No, I did not upgrade because that is a degrading offer in my book!

BRENCAT1 wrote:

Hey, Levi4u...do you work for Sprint, or what? I, personally, have received several email ads from Sprint, offering new phones $300.00-$400.00 in value, for "free to new customers with a 2yr. contract, or to existing customers as an upgrade depending on their "eligibility status". My "upgrade eligibility" is only $75.00 off at this time.  In other words, a $300.00 phone that is free to a new customer, cost me just a mere $225.00! even though I am a long-standing, "valued" customer! No, I did not upgrade because that is a degrading offer in my book!

Unfortunately, Sprint has been less than consistent when it comes to applying the same costs to their long term customers as they do to new customers.

With that being said, this is what Sprint has stated that they will offer to all Premier Loyalty Rewards customers:

1. The exact same price for any phone upgrade as one would have paid if one was an entirely new customer, assuming you sign up for another 2-year contract.  This type of upgrade for Premier customers is limited to one phone per every 12 months time.

2. Upgrades by non-Premier Loyalty Rewards customers will also gain the same discount pricing and discounts as new customers so long as the customer has fulfilled at least 22 months of their current contract.

3. Upgrades made by customers who have been with Sprint at least 12 months but less than 22 months will only get a $75 discount.

As for other companies "valuing" their customers, that can be debateable.  My sister and father have both been on Verizon for years now, and they both get a full $200 off of any phone they opt to upgrade to, or the full discounts that new customers get for any new phones, which ever is in the customer's favor.  Heck, I even have that now. Granted, unlike with Sprint, Verizon limits the upgrades to 1 phone per line every 2 years.  If you are on a family plan where all phones were activated at the same time, then it's simple: upgrade new phones with full discounts.

Now, what I suggest, if you wish to stick with Sprint, is to call to customer service and report the difficulties you've experienced.  They might be willing to help you.

Journeyman

A question for the Srint Employee who stated "Upgrade eligibity for current customers vaaries depending on how long since you last purchased a discounted phone."  I haven't "purchased" a phone since June of 2004, when I attained your service. I have received 2 replacement phones, since I invest in your insurance, and I've received one free "upgrade" offered to me by a sprint rep. who called me in July, 2009, for being a "valued premier customer" (it's not even worth capitalizing because it really means nothing), which is the worst "down grade" imaginable.  Regardless, my "upgrade eligibility" has not been based on "my purchase of discounted phones".  It used to be based upon my 2yr. contract anniversary, except the last time, when I took advantage of the deceptive offer for that "upgrade(?)".  Back to my question...are you saying that if someone purchases a non-discounted phone, that their eligibility status is different? If so, how? From what I've been reading, there's been alot of people shelling out alot of money for their phones, and they haven't all been discounts! And yet Sprint still finds a way, and/or reason to discount their eligibility status and service!

Journeyman

This is a response to ClaudiPo; Sprint Admin....I have to agree with you when it comes to a person wanting to upgrade, exchange, etc. their phone after such a short period of time. I am one of those people who will hang on to a device as long as it's performance meets my needs. However...to each his own! Just because you, or I, might want to hang on to a dinosaur, does not discount the valid concerns, frustrations, and dissatisfaction of all these Sprint customers, who are paying for your phone service.  I am right up there on the podium with the rest of these people, with a lot of the same complaints! It all comes down to basically the same complaint...increasingly poor/inadequate customer service and non-recognition of the customers who have kept Sprint in business! I, personally, have so many unresolved issues due to undiscerning, uninformed, and unknowledgeable Sprint reps, that I have opted to read the concerns and anguishes of others, and voice my opinions along with theirs, in hopes that a change in your customer service and support, might occur. I've almost come to the conclusion that Sprint gives bonuses to the reps who can bring in the most revenue, despite any unethical, degrading, and/or unprofessional means!

Journeyman

I agree too.  I have been a sprint customer for 10 years and have now started the process of switching my service to Verizon.  I have purchased two Samsung Fascinate (Sprint Epic) phones for less than the cost of my upgrade.  Yes, the Verizon phones are not 4G, but sprint doesn't have 4G in WV and I doubt it will be anytime soon, but expects me to pay an additional $10 per line for 4G service.  Since I am also a "Premier" customer it was wonderful news to hear that I could receive $5 off my bill or whatever the exact amount was for my longtime loyalty.  I am/was on a family plan that was over $180 a month w/o taxes or fees and $5 was my reward.  I called and asked if they would reduce the price of the upgrade, but was told that wasn't possible, but the rep did try to get me to extend two of my lines (I could barely contain my enthusiasm).  I said no thanks, and today I visited the Verizon store. I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but at this point, I don't really care.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.