cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus $9.99 "Premium Texting" fee on latest Bill

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been a loyal Sprint fan for a few years now.  Then today I get my latest mobile billing and there is a bogus $9.99 fee attached to it.  This is a fee that is outrageous, ridiculous, and is a total scam.  At no point, ever, would I agree to this charge on my bill and I haven't given out my information to scam companies.  Never was I asked if they could bill me, and apparently Sprint has seen fit to allow this $9.99 fee to just get passed through their system and into my bill without a second thought.

I have sent an email to customer service, but they're receiving "an unusual high volume of requests" no doubt due to many many people being affected by this scam.  Who knows when they will get around to this.  Is there any quick and easy way to get this fee removed from my bill?  Is there a way to block ALL of these scams in the future?

Here's  the offending line item

Mundo Media: Alerts - 76199 YourTrueCrush -10/11$9.99
Tags (4)
13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Call in to Customer Service. They're really cool about these kinds of charges, and on top of that, they have the ability to block ALL of these types of charges. Problem solved.

Journeyman v68
Journeyman

currently on the phone with customer service fighting the same bogus FRAUD charge!!

Journeyman v68
Journeyman

we are being told that they can't block all third party applications.

Journeyman

@williow.. Not saying you did this but from your post, it looks like either you or someone else, tried a free, service looking for a crush, something like a matchmaking thing, and thought it was free and missed the fine print that to cancel, you need to text some number to that company, not sprint.

I have also tried those type apps, but i do read everything before i even attempt using them.

Not saying that you or someone else did, but that would be my first guess before i blamed sprint.

Did you google who Mundo Media arts is? Just by seeing the rest of your post

Mundo Media: Alerts - 76199 YourTrueCrush -10/11

It looks like one of those same apps, or companies all you have to do is text a number or code word to and you get charged. some of them apps/companies  basically find people for you in your city. state, even area code.

FYI. Mundo Media is a advertising company. It could be something as simple as you signing up for text alerts from your local news stations to anything else that send you ALERTS. Did you or someone else signup for text alerts?

Journeyman

@v68 They can block what are called "premium text messages", as well as "premium content". Its not all third party downloads, its any third party downloads or messaging/alert services that can charge you.

Journeyman

my account is a single line.  so it's only my phone.  a week ago i received a random text message from a spammer, website, etc.  it said reply "STOP" to stop all messages.  no where in the text did it mention any sort of charge.  i replied STOP and never received a single further message from them.  i wish i had the SMS thread so i could quote them, but i deleted it as soon as i replied STOP.

then i get my bill and it is $9.99 ... because i replied STOP?  that can't be right.  at no time did i accept, invite, or attempt to add this "Premium" garbage to my account.  why would i need any of this rubbish when my phone has unlimited access to the internet?  why would i ever want to pay anyone at any time to send me spam text messages?  a quick google search, and search on the Sprint forums, shows that this is not a small incident.  many many users are being billed erroneously.

Journeyman

@willowve.. gotcha

Did you just google search Mundo Media arts only? I did also from your OP> Then i just google YOUR TRUE CRUSH  ., this is what i find as the 3rd google listing on that page.. you might want to check it out it goes with the amount they charged you on your bill.

Your True Crush

www.yourtruecrush.com/

Flirting Tips: 3  msgs/wk sent to

your

cell for $9.99 per month. Summary terms: You must be the account holder or have permission from the account holder.

Wizard

More than likely they charged you for the subscription the moment you began receiving the texts. Replying "stop" is supposed to discontinue your subscription but its possible the charge already billed out. Customer service is usually awesome about issues with these charges.

Journeyman

Yeah this has nothing to do with Sprint itself. It's one of those shady third party things. I've gotten them before too. The guys who run those places should be drawn and quartered. Usually customer service will cut the charge off for you. It's happened to me a few times both with Sprint and Verizon

Journeyman

GeneralLee3 wrote:

Yeah this has nothing to do with Sprint itself. It's one of those shady third party things. I've gotten them before too. The guys who run those places should be drawn and quartered. Usually customer service will cut the charge off for you. It's happened to me a few times both with Sprint and Verizon

just like that Sprint has reversed the charges and blocked them from future attempts on my number.  way to go Sprint customer service!  all it took was an email to customer service with the details i posted above (+ my phone number) and they fixed it for me.

now if i could send a simple email and improve the coverage in my area... ahem... ahem...

Journeyman

What is Sprint doing to combat these unethical practices? When I order something from the Android Market I immediately get an email. If I charge something to my debit card, I immediately get a text message. Why doesn't Sprint notify their customers in real time that something is being charged to their account?

JoJo0401 wrote:

More than likely they charged you for the subscription the moment you began receiving the texts. Replying "stop" is supposed to discontinue your subscription but its possible the charge already billed out. Customer service is usually awesome about issues with these charges.

...(please don't delete me, I'm asking a valid question)

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.