Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contradicting Customer Service Answers

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Im so insanely pissed off about this. As my phone has been malfunctioning lately, and Im on a very tight grad student budget, I decided to purchase a used phone off an acquaintance. I called customer service to make sure the esn number on the phone was clear. I was told that it absolutely was. Five hours later, once I had acquired the replacement phone, I called sprint again to activate the phone. This  time I was told that the esn number was not infact clear, but it was attached to an unpaid account. I asked them to double check with the number I had previously given them. They were the same series of numbers. They couldnt "understand" how the mistake was made. No one could help. None of the managers or supervisors were willing to do anything. The so-called honest seller keeps telling me that he's "working on it" with sprint to clear the confusion, and won't return my money in the meantime. So, now I'm stuck with a malfunctioning phone, a working phone I can't use, and I'm $200 poorer.

I don't need to be lectured on how/why sprint blacklists phones- I understand the concept, and I'm not impressed. What I am concerned with is holding someone responsible in this company for giving customers the WRONG information.  I would have rather spent those $200 getting out of my telephone contract.

Of course, if the issue isn't resolved I will put that almost complete law degree to good use and use the seller for fraud. But in any case- I'm very disappointed with the level of customer service I got this week from sprint. .... definitely thinking I shouldn't have changed companies last year.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Master

The old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law" comes to mind.  The simple fact is that if you give me a serial number I can't provide you with any information about it - it is called CPNI - a federal law - that concerns privacy.

The original owner of the phone has rights and Sprint cannot release any account/device/customer specific information to anyone other than to the account holder the phone is now registered to. Honestly, I understand the unfortunate circumstances in this scenario.  You said you bought this off an acquaintance - not a stranger, correct?  You don't have any recourse with them? 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Master

When you called in the first time the representative checked the number in the Lost~Stolen device search tool.  That was correct, but they should have been a little more thorough and told you as long as it was not on a delinquent account it would be able to activate on your number.  You have to actually begin the change in the billing system to get an error that tells you it is already active on another line.There is not a way in the billing system to release the ESN unless that other account holder  puts another serial number on that mobile number. 

I aplogize for the problem but know there is not any other way to remedy the transaction.

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply, the information you've given me is actually incorrect. As I got off the phone with Sprint a couple of minutes- I was told that the phone had in fact been reported lost/stolen. I've been getting two different stories from everyone- so I just dont know what to believer. Regardless, I will be filing a fraud report with NYPD, and Sprint can await a subpoena for information that's linked to the phone. 

I love how sprint is always oh so accommodating when you sign up or want to purchase something, but the second a customer needs helps, they start to hide behind rules and are unwilling to help.

Master

The old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law" comes to mind.  The simple fact is that if you give me a serial number I can't provide you with any information about it - it is called CPNI - a federal law - that concerns privacy.

The original owner of the phone has rights and Sprint cannot release any account/device/customer specific information to anyone other than to the account holder the phone is now registered to. Honestly, I understand the unfortunate circumstances in this scenario.  You said you bought this off an acquaintance - not a stranger, correct?  You don't have any recourse with them? 

View solution in original post

Journeyman

Re: Contradicting Customer Service Answers

The person I purchased the phone from is refusing to answer any of my calls/texts. By this point the only recourses I have are either report it to the police, or sell it on ebay for parts. Although selling it would probably be fastest/easiest thing to do, I want whoever sold me the phone to be held accountable for his actions.

The thing that maddens me is that I did my due diligence by first contacting sprint.. It's not like I blindly purchased a phone without doing my homework first. I did what I was supposed to do- which was get an all clear from Sprint. The fact that no one is being held accountable for this, or that Sprint is not even trying to go over and above-- that's a bother. I had T-Mobile for approx 7 years, and every time I had a problem, the customer service reps bent over backwards to help.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.