cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceptive practices regarding unlimited data

Highlighted
Patron

Deceptive practices regarding unlimited data

I just wanted to vent my frustration with Sprint. Back around April 2011 I purchased a wireless hotspot and planned to use it as my primary Internet connection for my home. I live in an area where it was difficult to get good speeds with DSL and no other services were available at a reasonable price. The sprint broadband service seemed like a great option because it was unlimited data.

At first thing seemed to be working good. I did experience less than stellar speed at times but it is wireless so I was willing to accept that. The device started to overheat and had to be rebooted often so I purchased a small fan and pointed it at the broadband device and it seemed to help.

So for the most part things were going pretty smooth until January when I looked at my bill. Imagine my surprise when I see a charge for $500 in overage charges for December and $500 for January totaling $1000 in overages. I thought this service was unlimited! I called Sprint and was told they had changed their service for broadband devices to a limited bandwidth per month and that is why I had the overage charges. I explained I purchased the broadband service because it was unlimited and I felt they were being deceptive. To their credit they did eventually agree to refund the overage charges including the overages I had accrued in February as well but I had to wait and call back in after I got my bill in February to get that credit. So ok, that seems pretty fair, I'm still not happy that they did the old bait-and-switch on me but at least I don't have to pay all of these overages!

So I changed my plan to the lowest plan they offer, turned off the broadband modem and ordered new Internet service from someone else. I also made sure to call when I got my bill in February and get the last credit. I was advised to wait a few weeks before canceling my service to make sure all of the credits have been applied.

I did end up waiting about 4 weeks or so then called to cancel and was informed I would have to pay a $130 cancelation fee. I explained I was told due to the trouble I have had I would not have to pay the cancelation fee and the representative said if I would have called a week ago he could have done it but since I waited so long he was not able to do so. There was no budging! So after I was tired of arguing my case with no results I hung up.

I will admit I did not pay my bill for some time and let the charges stack up. I finally paid it last month and was surprised to see they had actually terminated my account and it seemed had decided I did not need to pay anymore than the monthly charges I had stacked up which was about $90 or so. Well that didn’t seem so bad; maybe Sprint is not so bad after all.

Well I went into my Sprint account this month and look at that, $55 worth of early termination fees. So Sprint stuck it to me again! This is it; I paid the stupid fees and will be done with Sprint forever! Beware of the so-called unlimited service they still offer on the phones; they could change it on you at anytime!

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Deceptive practices regarding unlimited data

You were charged for terminating the $20. a month hotspot service? Good grief!

Journeyman

You were charged for terminating the $20. a month hotspot service? Good grief!

Wizard

No, ursiwitch, an actual mobile hotspot device. Not the hotspot add-on feature.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.