cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double-billed for my first month's service, and Sprint refuses to acknowledge it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Double-billed for my first month's service, and Sprint refuses to acknowledge it!

Hi all,

I posted on this a month or so ago and included copies of my bill proving that Sprint double-charges us for our first months service.  Unfortunately it's been archived and my images deleted from the server, so I'm posting it again though I will not include images this month.

Look at your first months bill in PDF format and notice that it says that it may be higher than usual due to the fact that you might have 1 month plus a partial month.  Basically you get charged a prorated amount for the billing cycle you joined Sprint in, and you pre-pay for the next month's service.  Now, notice that on your second bill, it says that the billing period is for the PREVIOUS month's service.  But you pre-paid for that month in your first month's service, right?!

Should you contact Sprint to figure out what is going on, they will try to convince you that this is the way it works and that it comes out in the wash when all is said and done.  I made the mistake of noticing this AFTER I started to leave Sprint, and after walking someone in their accounts department through the logic and math to the point where they could not deny the double-billing, I was then escalated to an individual who shut me down immediately by saying this issue was too far in the past to allow for any potential refund, so they were not going to deal with it.

Last month, when I posted this issue with images of my bills, a Sprint support rep came onto the forum and told me that all was well and that the last month I paid in full would be prorated and the rest refunded.  Guess what, none was refunded and 2 months later, I just received another partial bill!  This proves that Sprint is double-billing.

Breakdown of payments I made to sprint (Bill cycle is 19th - 18th)

02/18/2011 - Joined sprint on last day of billing cycle generating a single prorated day of service for that cycle.  I was not billed at this time.

02/19/2011 - Received larger than usual bill which included prorated 02/18/2011 day of service plus pre-paid for next month of service.

03/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 02/19 - 03/18.  THIS IS WHERE THE DOUBLE BILLING OCCURS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOW PAYING FOR THE PREVIOUS MONTHS SERVICE

04/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 03/19 - 04/18

05/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 04/19 - 05/18

06/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 05/19 - 06/18

07/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 06/19 - 07/18

08/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 07/19 - 08/18

09/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 08/19 - 09/18

10/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 09/19 - 10/18

11/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 10/19 - 11/18

12/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 11/19 - 12/18

01/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 12/19 - 01/18

02/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 01/19 - 02/18

03/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 02/19 - 03/18

04/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 03/19 - 04/18

05/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 04/19 - 05/18

06/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 05/19 - 06/18

07/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 06/19 - 07/18

08/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 07/19 - 09/18

09/19/2011 - Received normal bill with a Bill Period of 08/19 - 09/18:

09/26/2011 - Ported out of Sprint (early termination fee would apply in next, final bill)

10/19/2011 - Received final bill termination fee bill.

Basically now that my account is fully closed, simple addition and division shows that I and potentially everyone is charged double for their second month of service.  Your first bill has you pay a partial prorated month, plus the next full month, and then your second bill goes into a pay-after model in which you pay for the previous months service which makes sense because you might incur fees and overages.  Because everyone I have talked to at Sprint shuts down when I present them with the bills and math behind it, I'm going to keep this post active every month to make sure people don't make the same mistake I did by waiting until you are contractually unable to address issues early in your contract with sprint.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Double-billed for my first month's service, and Sprint refuses to acknowledge it!

I agree they are scam artists. I just went through the same situation when I closed my account and went under my husband's account instead. I had been with them since about 2005 and I was double charged in the beginning as everyone was but the month I closed my acount I was charged my full monthly amount for the upcoming billing cycle. I was then double charged again for my "new account"(the one that I have with my husband) that also goes through that same credit card for the same billing cycle I already paid for on the old account and the upcoming month. I tried to speak with 3 different people at Sprint about how I was being over charged and they should at least void the last payment on the old account since it clearly showed that I was paying for that billing cycle twice but eveyone kept talking in circles and ignoring the obvious. I finally had to fight the payment with my credit card company. They temporarily reversed the charges and said they would look into it but apparently my credit card company did do much "looking" because after Sprint sent me a check for $27(which I did not cash because I disagree this is fair)  my credit card company sent me a letter that they reversed the charges back in Sprint's favor. Mastercard gave me an appeal process that includes a bunch of  BS paperwork but obviously if their financial dept disregarded the obvious this time around why waste my time again. I gave up! When my Sprint contract is up I will go with Metro. I can't understand how they get away with this when the evidence is clear in the paperwork that they are srewing people. Unfortunately I have too many other serious health issues going on and I don't have the time or emotional strength to keep fighting with these crooks.

Master

Re: Double-billed for my first month's service, and Sprint refuses to acknowledge it!

I am sorry that there is confusion about this.  Let me try to clear it up.

Sprint bills one month a head for fees

Will be for overage and purchases and incurred charges at the end of the billing period

For example   let’s say you start service with sprint on the 28 of December   and your billing date is the first of the month.   On the first we close the billing period and insure we have all charges that were incurred in the previous month.  This would include purchases, overages, late fees etc.  and pro-rated monthly fees.  

The bill would be for one month’s service plus taxes and fees

The billing period would show 1Jan – 31 Jan

This bill would be due about the 23 of Feb

We would continue billing the monthly service charge in advance as long as the ac count is open.  We would bill all other charges at the end of the billing period.

At some point the account is canceled lets say 5 Dec one year later and call in this is 4 days after the normal billing date.

Your bill for December would show the billing period of 1 Nov to 30 Nov.   Again nothing was charged against the account during this period.

Bill would show a charge for on month’s service plus taxes

As you called in December and had been bill for the month or normal practice would be to cancel the service on the 31st of Dec.

And the December bill would be due about the 24th of the month.

The Jan bill would show the billing period for 1 Dec to 31 Dec

It would have no monthly charges on it. It would show an early termination fee if applicable and purchases or charges on the account incurred in the month of Dec.    As this is a one year period there would have been charges for 12 monthly fees plus a prorated fee for the period 28 to the 31 which would have shown on your first bill.     The final bill would not show any monthly charges on it   and depending on the circumstances of the cancelation  might have a prorated credit for un unused service

Using your example  You state that there is a double billing on 3/19/2011 for the 2/19/2011 billing   If this were correct the last bill you received  was 09/19-2011  was for the period of 8/19/2012

Using your information that means you did not get charged for the billing period of 9/19 to 10/19  

You state all the last bill has on it is an early termination fee.   Base on you reading of the bills it should have shown monthly charges for September

Journeyman

You are correct in that I did not receive a prorated bill for the period of 09/19 - 09/26, the day in which my service was canceled, but that does not account for the double full payment for the period of 02/19/2011 - 03/18/2011.

Journeyman

Trying to simplify my scenario so that you can explain it a bit better to me.

Billing cycle runs from the 19th through the 18th of the each month:

02/18/2011 - Joined (no bill)

02/19/2011 - I was presented with a bill that contained the prorated charge for 02/18/2011 as well as a full bill for the following month's service in advance. I am now paid up through 03/19/2011 = FULL BILL + Prorated Charge

03/19/2011 - I was presented with a bill for the previous month's service 02/19/2011 through 03/18/2011. = FULL BILL

03/26/2011 - I cancel my service with Sprint

In this simplified scenario, which is identical to mine, you can see that I have paid for over two months of service, but have only used Sprint for 1 month and 7 days.

Master

It was not a double payment we bill at the beginning of the period for the monthly charge and at the end of the period for  charges incurred during the month. The bill you got on 2/19 was for the pro-rate from the previous month and one full month of service going forward for the period  of 2/19 to 3/18   Bill on 3/19 was for service from 3/19 to 4/19.  I show 22 billing periods  listed  and I show 21 bills where you were charged for service  The first bill  has one month service going forward and service for the 2/18 billing period which is a one day billing period.   You were charged for 20 full months of service.  And show 20 months  months of billing.  Each bill with the exception of the first bill is for one months service.  You show on 2/19 you were charged for on months service which is correct  the period for 2/19 to 3/18. You are saying we charged you on 3/18 for the service from 2/19   this is where the mistake is.   We charged you for service from 3/19 to 4/18/  If you go that way you will see on 9/19 we charged you for the service going forward for the billing period 9/19 to 10/18   if not you would have had a monthly fee charged on the 10/19 bill.  As there is not fee on 10/19 this shows we charge at the beginning of the period for the monthly fee  not the end of the period. 

The double payment on 3/18 only works if we charge for the month at the end of the period.  If that were the case you would have had a monthly charge on 10/19 bill. 

Journeyman

If your explanation is correct, and that you bill at the beginning of a period (in advance), then I am owed a prorated refund for my full payment of the bill received on 09/19 because I canceled my service on 9/26.  I received no refund and was charged a full early termination fee.

Assuming my bill is $150 / month

02/18/11 - Join Sprint - no bill

02/19/11 - Receive bill for $150 + prorated amount for 02/18/11 usage.  Assuming what you said is correct, this pays me in advance for 02/19/2011 - 03/18/2011

03/19/11 - Receive bill for $150 for 1 months service.  This pays me in advance for 03/19/2011 - 04/18/2011

09/19/12 - Receive bill for $150 for 1 months service.  This pays me in advance for 09/19/2011 - 10/18/2011

09/26/12 - I cancel my Sprint account with a $100 early termination fee.  Because I paid for 09/19/2011 - 10/18/2011 in advance, I am owed a prorated refund of the remainder of the time period, correct?  I never got it.

10/19/12 - I am billed again for the full early termination fee of $100.

Master

It  would depend on how the account was canceld with Sprint.  We normally cancel the service on the last day of the billing cycle. I would have to look at your particular account

Master

No you are not owed a pro-rated amount as Sprint(as well as all major carriers) do not pro-rate the final month if canceled before the end of your billing cycle per the terms of the contract.

Monthly service charges are not refunded or prorated if service is terminated or modified before your billing cycle ends.

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/os_general_terms_conditions_popup.shtml

Master

Thank you Levi for posting that information.   There are unique situations where a pro-rate might be done  but as a genral statement you are quite correct.   Your information as always is spot on. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.