cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Termination - Surcharges, Taxes and Fees?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Early Termination - Surcharges, Taxes and Fees?

Hi All,

I have been a happy Sprint customer for over 10 years in the Chagoland area. In December I upgraded 3 of the 5 lines on our Sprint account to Galaxy S7's (kids phones) with installment billing. The 4th line (wifes phone) was upgraded in October to a Galaxy S7 with a 2-year contract. I continued to use my Galaxy Note 5 (not under contract or installments) on the 5th line as there is no good Galaxy Note replacement at this time.

Anyway, in late January I was notified that I am being transfered with my job to Helena, MT. My wife and I went out to Montana in early February to look at a new place to live. Unfortunately our Sprint phones barely worked and were on roam 100% of the time. We even had to borrow the realtors phone to call back home. We enjoyed having Sprint but it just isn't going to work for us when we move to MT.

So, I cancelled 4 lines on February 14th. 3 of those lines were under installment billing from our December upgrades and 1 line was under a 2 year contract from October 2016. I paid $1137.43 to buy out the remainder of the installments on the 3 lines on top of a $371.84 bill for Dec25th - Jan24th (Plan, Surcharges, Taxes and Fee's). My line was the only line active until the end of our Jan25th-Feb24th billing period. As soon as that line was cancelled (Feb24th) I received a $350 early termination fee as I expected along with $16.98 in Sprint surcharges and $33.03 in Gov't fees and Taxes ($50.01 total).

Why am I paying $50.01 in Surcharges/Taxes and Fees on an ETF?
Is this correct or an error?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12
GrandMaster

Re: Early Termination - Surcharges, Taxes and Fees?

one of the agents will need to look into this one deeper for you but by chance when you payed off the ETF were you mid billing cycle?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

No, my billing is Jan25th to Feb24th.

This was the only phone left on the account and was moved on the last day of the billing period (Feb24th). I even got a 50 cent credit on the iPad Data plan because it was cancelled a day early.

I just talked with a customer service agent who tried to tell me that the $50.01 was taxes and fees on the equipment (handset). When I told her I paid the taxes ($46.87) at the time I ordered the phone along with a $30 activation fee she changed her tune and said that it was a taxes and fees on the ETF.

So my question back to her was, "Isn't the Early Termination Fee "THE" surcharge, tax and fee for cancelling the contract early?" Why would I have to pay a taxes and fee's on the ETF fee? She didn't seem to be very knowledgeable and then deferred me to Sprint.com for the information on the ETF fee's. I asked here where exactly but she couldn't tell me, only kept saying go to Sprint.com, go to sprint.com.... So, after searching and looking through my account documents including the sprint.com/etf page I can find no information that says you will pay taxes and fee's on the ETF. 

All of my previous bills (installments, etc.) were paid off prior to this.

GrandMaster

well shoot. that was my attempt lol. one of the agents will hopefully figure this one out or cofirm what the other agent said.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well, I talked to Sprint last week as was told someone in CustomerCare would be calling me back within 48 hours... that was 5 days ago... disappointed

Master

AIRDOG99, give me a chance to make this right. Please reply to my private message so that we can look into this further.

Ina.

Sprint Social Care Team.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

OK, I replied via PM to Ina and Ciara in Social Care with additional info as requested and no one has gotten back with me... <crickets>

GrandMaster

how long ago did you reply to them?
Sprint Social Care

Hey AIRDOG99! We replied to your messages yesterday. Please take a look at your inbox.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes, I got both messages yesterday and replied directly to both in short order with the info that was requested... never heard anything after my replies from either Ina or Ciara from yesterday.

Sprint Social Care

We'll be responding to your messages shortly. Sorry for the delay.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks for your reply... apparently I or no one else understands this situation. Only answer I get from Sprint reps is, "Go to Sprint.com to learn more" type of answers... Please Help! 

I understand that Sprint is required to collect Surcharges, Taxes and Fee's on services and equipment. I have paid all surcharges, taxes, fee's prior to the ETF that I was charged for my wifes phone. I have read and reread the Sprint Terms and Conditions at  http://www.sprint.com/termsandconditions as well as all of the info at www.sprint.com/etf regarding the Early Termination Fee's.
There is nothing in any of those documents that says I will pay Surcharges, Taxes and Fee's on the Early Termination Fee. How can it be that I am required to pay a Fee on a Fee? The ETR is the "FEE". If there something in those documents or webpages please provide where it is because I nor my lawyer can find it.

If you look at my bill, I fully paid $371.84 on Feb 17th for the Jan25th-Feb24th billing period (according to Sprint's advanced billing terms).
The last phone (my sons line) and an iPad data plan were canceled before the end of this billing period (Feb 24th). My wifes phone with the ETR was removed from the account on Feb 14th. I also paid off all installment agreements $1137.43 on 3 of the lines (my phone and 2 other childrens phones). The only thing left should be the $350 ETF.
All Surcharges, Taxes and Fee's on equipment and services up to this point were and have been paid off.

Again, the only things left is the $350 ETF... Nothing in Sprints terms and agreements states this will be a fee or tax on this ETF Fee. If there is something in writing, please show me where it is EXACTLY.

There surely isn't a surcharge, tax or fee on the ETF fee is there? I'm having a hard time understanding how Sprint can charge a fee on top of a fee.

Jeff

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.