cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get New Sprint phones for cheaper.

Journeyman

How to get New Sprint phones for cheaper.

So yeah. The new HTC EVO 4G LTE looks badas$. Been a while since I've been so excited about a phone.

Here is my run around. I moved to sprint 7 months ago and I am enjoying the sprint networking very much.

I got the original HTC Evo 4G which was already at least a year old at the time. According to how fast technology moves. My HTC EVO is getting old and outdated fast. I can't wait another whole year and half for an upgrade.

So I am only 7 months into my contract. A new "HTC EVO 4G LTE" will cost $199 with a new 2 year contract. Without a contract the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" will probably run for more then $699.

So can I just break my current contract. Payout the fee and get a new contract for the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" for $199 when it comes out.

I think I'd be paying out less then $699.

Suggestions?

32 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: How to get New Sprint phones for cheaper.

This is what I was thinking about doing as well. I got my contract renewed when I got my Evo 3D. I do not mind being with Sprint with another 2 years and I want to get the discount for the Evo 4G LTE. I think your best choice is to call Sprint and talk to them there rather than going into the store. You can try to sell back your Evo 4G even though you may not get much for it. Any little bit helps. Reading about the new Evo it looks like this new phone will be able to support anything Android will throw out so I don't see myself upgrading to another phone for a long time. Even though you will pay to break your contract it still may be a bit cheaper than buying it up right.

Wizard

breakerd wrote:

So can I just break my current contract? Payout the fee and get a new contract for the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" for $199 when it comes out.

Suggestions?

You could break your contract, but you would lose your phone number. I still have my Evo 4G and love it. I have an upgrade and will use it to get the Evo 4G LTE. But if I didn't, I would just stick with my Evo 4G. It is still a great phone. But that is me. Depends how hungry you are for the new phone...

Inuchanz wrote:

This is what I was thinking about doing as well. I got my contract renewed when I got my Evo 3D. I do not mind being with Sprint with another 2 years and I want to get the discount for the Evo 4G LTE. I think your best choice is to call Sprint and talk to them there rather than going into the store.

I would try a corporate store first. I know Sprint had some buy up program in select markets where you could pay to get your upgrade moved up. It was only available at corporate Sprint stores. If that does not work, then you could try calling in. But seriously, no way Sprint is going to give that early an upgrade on a phone that will sell out like the Evo 4G LTE.

Wizard

I recommend patience. Wait another year or so. By then, you'll be getting even better devices on a more mature LTE network. Windows Phone will have sorted itself out, and there may be some good stuff there. Android Ice Cream Sandwich will be common, so you'll have cool options from Google. Apple will roll out the iPhone 5 sometime around October, which for all we know will have super-advanced alien technology wrapped in bacon. Just wait, bro. Enjoy that EVO 4G. It's what I've got, and I love it. Good things come to those who wait, at least a little bit longer.

Journeyman

I would try a corporate store first. I know Sprint had some buy up program in select markets where you could pay to get your upgrade moved up. It was only available at corporate Sprint stores. If that does not work, then you could try calling in. But seriously, no way Sprint is going to give that early an upgrade on a phone that will sell out like the Evo 4G LTE.

I have all ready called up and asked about the early buy out. They said it only works if you have a year or less left in your contract. I seem to always have bad luck when I go into the stores. Every time I ask questions the store has a different answer than the people on the phone. It seems that Sprint does not inform the stores to well. None the less i am going to get the new Evo be it on a new contract or buy it out right. Just hope I can talk them into breaking my contract and getting it with a new 2 year. Though I hear I will lose my number if i do that.

Wizard

Inuchanz wrote:

I have all ready called up and asked about the early buy out. They said it only works if you have a year or less left in your contract. I seem to always have bad luck when I go into the stores. Every time I ask questions the store has a different answer than the people on the phone. It seems that Sprint does not inform the stores to well. None the less i am going to get the new Evo be it on a new contract or buy it out right. Just hope I can talk them into breaking my contract and getting it with a new 2 year. Though I hear I will lose my number if i do that.

I just read your initial post again. Yeah, you are only 7 months into your contract so you are stuck with paying the ETF. Another suggestion is to get together with some other folks on a Share Plan so that you can give them your phone (they save the $99 or whatever it the Evo ending up going for -- originally $199), and you can get the Evo LTE. The contract will still run on your old phone and you would pay pay less for service on a Share Plan. You just gotta trust the other folks will pay their share.

I am trying to think out of the box. But paying the ETF may be your only option if you really, really want the new Evo.

Wizard

The phone is not out yet, so be patient.

The best way to get 'cheap' phones is to check craigslist in your area after the phone you want is out for few weeks.

A lot of people buy the phones they cannot afford. It usually takes them few weeks to realize it and the put it on craigslist for sale

Even though my phone is relatively new (Photon) and working great, I have my eyes on the Galaxy Note and EVO 4G LTE.

Journeyman

Inuchanz wrote:

Not true. I have less than a year and got out of my contract.

Anyway the people you want to talk to is Retentions. Call the Sprint Customer Service number and go through all the options until you get to something that says "Changes or Cancellations to your account". That will put you right into Retentions.

Anyway just tell them you are unhappy with the phone and stuff and saw that there is a new phone coming out that your would like to get. They should let you out, allow you to keep your number, and be able to get a new phone. They told me I had to pay $165 (appears on next months bill) and that I could upgrade in roughly 24 hours. Sell your old phone back to them, should get what $100 for it, so in the end you pay $65 or something like that to get out contract.

Journeyman

If you get out of your contract you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can get another. I think it's 60 days.

Journeyman

Instead of completely canceling your contract you can always add a line and then cancel your current line or Add a line, move the new phone to your line, and cancel the new line after the first 30 days.  You pay an ETF either way but it keeps your account open.

Journeyman

If you cancel a line withing the 30 return period, the discounted phone purchased with that line will need to be returned as well.

Journeyman

I am aware. Thats why I said after the first 30 days.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.