Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iowa City Data Issues

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

Iowa City Data Issues

Hi, here is the link to my original post. http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/496898#496898

Re: 3G issues in Iowa City? or something more?I've stop recieving replys from David and would like to know whats going on. I see that David no longer has the Sprint Tag under his name and I assume he has been fired, or quit. I would like to know what is going on with this and why the people in Iowa City keep getting lied to and pushed around. I would like a refund of the $200 I spent on my phone (When I return it) and my contract broken with out penalty fees. You guys are not holding up your end of the deal here. I was told at least 600kbps before I signed... and that 3G is 600kbps or more and that I should never see less than that. So my contract says im paying 4G prices and recieving 3G, yet I'm not even receiving 3G speeds. It's been like this since I signed, with promises each month that "it will be fixed by the end of the month". I've tried calling and have been pushed away, tried email and got pushed away, tried on these forums and got pushed away and ignored. I'm making this public in hopes that anyone in Iowa City that is thinking about getting Sprint will see this first and save themselves the hassel and neglect that I am recieving from your customer service department. Also in hopes that someone that gives a rats ass in customer service will see this and help me out. And yes... i know it can be done so dont play me off. This is a contract breaker, its been over 4 months at these speeds. Fix my issue. Let me know what info you need from me to get this going. I want it ended and phone refuned by February if possible. I'm tired of paying for nothing...

Screenshot_2012-11-06-16-51-13.pngScreenshot_2012-12-05-17-12-48.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Journeyman

Re: Iowa City Data Issues

I'm assuming that you would like a more helpful response than the standard Sprint template answers, so I will do my best.  I am not affiliated with Sprint in any way, so some of this is going to be based on anecdotal evidence, but I have researched the issue fairly extensively, and I think I can provide some help.

• You are correct that it is not your phone.  I have tested multiple phones in the Iowa City area, and they all get roughly the same data speeds (some variance is to be expected due to different antennae, etc.)  Like you, I have tried all of the "fixes," none of which seemed to have any influence on data speeds.  Regardless of what Sprint says, at least at this point in time, the issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with updating firmware/PRL/Profile.
  • Likewise, I'm pretty sure your phone isn't getting "stuck" on a tower.  Resetting the tower "lock-on" on my phone did absolutely nothing to improve data speeds.

• In your first post you were wondering how long these issues have been going on.  I can't tell you exactly when I first started noticing them, but it was approximately 2 - 2.5 years ago.  Nor was it a gradual slowdown either.  I distinctly remember one day the network seemed to slow to a crawl, and it hasn't really recuperated since then.  Needless to say, this leads me to believe that the issues have less to do with network congestion and more to do with some technical failure.

• I can confirm that pretty much everything south/southeast of Rochester and First Avenue is a virtual dead zone.  I live in this area, and 3g speeds tend to average ~10kbps.  That is not a typo.  Downtown is a little better, usually can get about 100kbps, but the signal is terrible and cuts in and out all the time.  You mentioned Sycamore Mall; in my experience it's pretty much a coin flip as to whether or not I get a useable 3g signal in that area.
  • I'm guessing this is partly due to the fact that Iowa City is relatively hilly -- in testing I have noticed marked differences between being in a relatively lower neighborhood (where I live) and at the top of a hill, such as the intersection of First Avenue and Rochester, where I can usually get 600kbps+.  The signal strength just seems to be incredibly weak: I have had instances where I get 350kbps in one location, but walking 10 feet in any direction leads to a 300kbps+ drop.  I don't know whether this is due to poor tower location or what, but decent coverage DOES exist...it's just incredibly spotty.

• Sprint claims the Iowa City area has experienced 10 upgrades related to the data network in the past 6 months.  I don't know how Sprint defines the word "upgrade" but apparently it doesn't have anything to do with performance -- it's just as terrible as it has always been.  I don't know if any more upgrades are planned, but don't get your hopes up.
  • No we will not get 4g.  Wimax is dead, so we will never get that here, and I don't see us getting LTE until 2014/2015, probably later.

Sorry for the length, and I'm sorry I wasn't really able to give you anything positive to hold onto.  As far as I can tell, Sprint has thrown the majority of its customers under the bus.  I would not expect 3g speeds to improve in the Iowa City area, period.  At this point Sprint's focus seems to be more on rolling out their 4g LTE network, and it is unlikely that we will see that for a while.  My recommendation would be to pay the early termination fee and switch networks; the amount of time you'd spend dealing with Sprint's customer "service" isn't worth it.

P.S.  Just to put this in perspective, I recently went camping in the Mammoth Lakes area in northern California.  Elevation of 9,000 feet, nearest town has a population of about 9,000 people, etc.  Surprisingly, I discovered I was getting a data signal, albeit not a 3g signal.  I fired up Speedtest, ran it a couple times and got ~1k ping and 45-50 kbps consistently.  This is about 4.5 to 5 times better than I get sitting in my house in a town of almost 70,000 people.  I believe "farcical" would be an appropriate description of this situation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Thank you for reaching out to us. I took a look into the area and found that we do have 3G coverage in the area. I am sorry if you were given false expectations for the speeds that you would experience. Unfortunately, contrary to what has been stated in your post, we cannot waive the cancellation fee or reimburse you for your device. However I will gladly look into other options for you. What are the nearest cross streets to where you are having the issue, along with a zip code? You are a valued customer and, believe me when I state this; I truly want to help your situation.

Thank you,

Ivan

Patron

It's 3G cause you say it is? You guys have a "who cares" attitude about this issue. So long as your computer says that you're sending out the 3G speeds your employees lured me into a contract with, who cares what people are actually receiving, right?

The location of the issue was said in my other discussion, I guess you didn't take the time to read it all. I've been down this road with at least 6 other people... but lets see what the other broken record has to say about it.

Area code 52240. Closest intersection would be 1st Ave and Lower Muscatine. Sycamore mall area.

I'm extremely pissed off here. This can be fixed my way. I don't even care about the cost of the phone anymore, I just want out with no fee. This is your problem, not mine. I shouldn't have to pay for this lured contract of virtually no service or customer support.

Thank you for that information. I looked a bit closer into the area. There were some network issues that have since been resolved. It is possible that the phone troubles you've been having are related to the possibility that it's not connected to the network properly. To fix this, if this is in fact the case, go to Settings and do a PRL and a Profile update. Let me know if this help your data speeds at all.

Thank you,

Ivan

Patron

If you would just take the time to read my original post, you would know that i do this daily in hopes that it is fixed. I've tried this. Anything else?

Journeyman

I'm assuming that you would like a more helpful response than the standard Sprint template answers, so I will do my best.  I am not affiliated with Sprint in any way, so some of this is going to be based on anecdotal evidence, but I have researched the issue fairly extensively, and I think I can provide some help.

• You are correct that it is not your phone.  I have tested multiple phones in the Iowa City area, and they all get roughly the same data speeds (some variance is to be expected due to different antennae, etc.)  Like you, I have tried all of the "fixes," none of which seemed to have any influence on data speeds.  Regardless of what Sprint says, at least at this point in time, the issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with updating firmware/PRL/Profile.
  • Likewise, I'm pretty sure your phone isn't getting "stuck" on a tower.  Resetting the tower "lock-on" on my phone did absolutely nothing to improve data speeds.

• In your first post you were wondering how long these issues have been going on.  I can't tell you exactly when I first started noticing them, but it was approximately 2 - 2.5 years ago.  Nor was it a gradual slowdown either.  I distinctly remember one day the network seemed to slow to a crawl, and it hasn't really recuperated since then.  Needless to say, this leads me to believe that the issues have less to do with network congestion and more to do with some technical failure.

• I can confirm that pretty much everything south/southeast of Rochester and First Avenue is a virtual dead zone.  I live in this area, and 3g speeds tend to average ~10kbps.  That is not a typo.  Downtown is a little better, usually can get about 100kbps, but the signal is terrible and cuts in and out all the time.  You mentioned Sycamore Mall; in my experience it's pretty much a coin flip as to whether or not I get a useable 3g signal in that area.
  • I'm guessing this is partly due to the fact that Iowa City is relatively hilly -- in testing I have noticed marked differences between being in a relatively lower neighborhood (where I live) and at the top of a hill, such as the intersection of First Avenue and Rochester, where I can usually get 600kbps+.  The signal strength just seems to be incredibly weak: I have had instances where I get 350kbps in one location, but walking 10 feet in any direction leads to a 300kbps+ drop.  I don't know whether this is due to poor tower location or what, but decent coverage DOES exist...it's just incredibly spotty.

• Sprint claims the Iowa City area has experienced 10 upgrades related to the data network in the past 6 months.  I don't know how Sprint defines the word "upgrade" but apparently it doesn't have anything to do with performance -- it's just as terrible as it has always been.  I don't know if any more upgrades are planned, but don't get your hopes up.
  • No we will not get 4g.  Wimax is dead, so we will never get that here, and I don't see us getting LTE until 2014/2015, probably later.

Sorry for the length, and I'm sorry I wasn't really able to give you anything positive to hold onto.  As far as I can tell, Sprint has thrown the majority of its customers under the bus.  I would not expect 3g speeds to improve in the Iowa City area, period.  At this point Sprint's focus seems to be more on rolling out their 4g LTE network, and it is unlikely that we will see that for a while.  My recommendation would be to pay the early termination fee and switch networks; the amount of time you'd spend dealing with Sprint's customer "service" isn't worth it.

P.S.  Just to put this in perspective, I recently went camping in the Mammoth Lakes area in northern California.  Elevation of 9,000 feet, nearest town has a population of about 9,000 people, etc.  Surprisingly, I discovered I was getting a data signal, albeit not a 3g signal.  I fired up Speedtest, ran it a couple times and got ~1k ping and 45-50 kbps consistently.  This is about 4.5 to 5 times better than I get sitting in my house in a town of almost 70,000 people.  I believe "farcical" would be an appropriate description of this situation.

View solution in original post

Journeyman

Quick Update: Just ran Speedtest a couple times along Rochester Avenue, up near the HyVee Drugstore.

• First test: 176kbps down, 263kbps up, 949ms ping
  • Second test: 261kbps down, 318kbps up, 857ms ping

Again, where I took these tests is one of the higher elevations in my area of Iowa City, just wanted to show that there are some places that get semi-decent 3g speeds.  I know it isn't anywhere close to 700kbps, but it's at least enough to make the phone feel useable.

Patron

Thanks for the acceptible reply. I don't think Sprint will reply to this anymore, If anyhting theyll send in another person and keep repeating this rotation over and again. I got tired of waiting and playing phone tag, so I filed with the BBB and they got me a phone meeting for monday with one of the big wigs so well see how that goes. Thanks again

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.