Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone overheats and battery dies...Sprint does nothing

Highlighted
Patron

Phone overheats and battery dies...Sprint does nothing

So here is my story.

I have an HTC EVO Design 4G and on 04/03/13, I was using my GPS for about five minutes, and the phone got extremely hot, more hot than I've ever felt a phone get, and it shut down. It was at a 60% charge at that point, so when I attempted to power it back up, it told me it was at a 8% charge and then died again. Up until today, I can't use it without it being on the charger, and even when on the charger it sometimes powers off. When I take off the charger, it dies and won't stay on when I try to power it on. All Sprint has told me is "My warranty expired on 04/03/13." Well how convenient. The day my phone's battery kicks the bucket, is also the day my one year warranty is up. Something seems fishy to me. I was told by different employees to just buy a new battery. I shouldn't be the one buying. Bottom line.

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Phone overheats and battery dies...Sprint does nothing

MeghanTown,

Thanks for the post. Have you taken the device to a Sprint service and repair store? Has anyone taken a look at the device to see if there is something that need to be fixed?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

It does sound like it could either be the battery or the motherboard of the phone. Unfortunately once the warranty on your phone has expired Sprint doesn't allow us to order another battery, leaving it to the customer to buy the battery. A lot of times what I have had the customers do was after buying the battery call to Sprint and inform them that you feel it's an inconvenience that you have to buy another battery and they might credit you back what you spent on the battery as long as it's not an outrageous amount.

After testing the phone out with another battery, if you notice that it's still randomly power cycling and overheating you can then take it into a Sprint Repair Center and inform them that you've already tried replacing the battery, make sure you back up whatever information you need from the phone, because they will need to perform a Factory Reset on the device, but after resetting it and it still overheating and restarting they should be able to order you a reconditioned replacement.

Patron

I don't have a repair store where I live. The only help I've gotten is online and by phone

Patron

I tried to tell Sprint I thought it was ridiculous that I was buying a new battery, but they don't seem to care.

Journeyman

Hmmmm, as far as I know it, the system doesn't allow ordering of a battery once the warranty of the phone is up, and if they were to order you another phone and have it shipped to you, it would be a reconditioned phone but it would not come with a battery.

The only thing I can recommend is just to buy the battery off a 3rd Party website, they go for about 8$ plus S&H,  and then after you order call customer service and tell them if they can credit you for the battery you purchased.

Journeyman

Are you kidding??? Sprint does not give credits...

Wizard

MeghanTown,

Thanks for the post. Where are you located? Can you provide a zip code, Have you tried looking at our service center locator? www.sprint.com/storelocator . This will help finding a service and repair shop near you. Batteries are under warranty for 1 year. Where did you get the phone from?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Patron

Found that out the hard way.

Patron

Yes, I had already looked, I'm not located by a service center. My phone basically overheated and "broke" on the day my one year warranty was up. It was fishy to me. I got my phone from the Sprint wesbite. I called HTC, and they were willing to work with me and have shipped me a new battery.

Wizard

MeghanTown,

Thanks for the reply. Let us know how the new battery works out. I want to make sure your issue gets resolved.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.