cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting numbers into Sprint (horror story)

Journeyman

Sorry people, but I have to vent about my experience with Sprint as a new customer.

I pre-ordered four iPhone 4S's about 5 minutes after they were available on the Sprint website last Friday (10/7) and started a new line of service with a family plan.

Fast forwarrd to today; I receive all four of these babies.  I open up the one that was for me (64gb, Black) and call customer service (or should I say customer disservice) to add AppleCare+, and port a phone number in from AT&T.  After holding for about 30 minutes, I am disconnected.  I call back, hold for another 30 minutes, and finally get to talk to someone.  I told her that I wanted to add AppleCare+ to the phones, waive the activation fee because I am a AAA member, and port in my AT&T number.

While I was waiting for her to do something, I was disconnected again.  Ok, now I am starting to get a little annoyed.  I waited a few minutes to see if she would call back, then decided to call back.  I called, and thankfully after only being on hold for a minute or so, she called me back.  She got my number ported over, and I am a happy camper.

About an hour later, I called back to port over another number (different AT&T account than the first one) for my wife.  I was on hold about about 35 minutes before someone finally answered.  I told the customer service agent that I wanted to port a number from AT&T to Sprint, and gave her the AT&T info, and give her the phone number that it was going to be replacing on my Sprint account.  After about 5 minutes, she said everything was set, and it would take a little while to complete to port.

I waited about 15-20 minutes, then tried to call the number just ported from AT&T..  I was calling my wife's number from my new Sprint phone.  I wasn't listening to it, I just had it laying on the table and watched to see if her new phone would ring.  No ring.  I powered off, waited, powered on.  Tired again, nothing.

I logged into my Sprint account and see that her number is on my phone, and her phone still has the original number Sprint assigned to it.  Great, where did my phone number go?

I call customer service agian..  Hold for about 30 minutes, then I am disconnected again.  It's now 9:33pm PST and I try to call again..  This time, I get the automated message that customer service is closed.  I look on the Sprint web site, and I see I can chat online, so I give that a shot.  After waiting about 20 minutes, I finally get someone.

This guy (Vincent K) can't understand my problem, so after wasting about 15 minutes with him, he transfers me to his supervisor (Roland C) and he seems to understand my problem.  A number was ported into Sprint, but stuck on the wrong phone.

After almost an hour with this guy, he says there is nothing that he can do, I have to call some employee group and ask for their help.  To his credit, he did get my original ported number back on there, but now my wife's ported number is in the void of Sprint somewhere.

How tough is it to move a phone number from one phone to another phone within the same account?  I still have 2 more phone numbers to port into Sprint, and I am a little worried to say the least.  I wish it would have e-mailed me the chat log after I was transfered to the Roland C, because I think it would be interesting to see if this guy was full of it or telling me the truth.

Smalldog

4 REPLIES 4
Wizard

I took care of a situation almost identical today. There is possibly a way to get your wife's ported number back on your account and on the correct line. In these situations, its best to have it handled quickly but the team that assists with these requests doesn't have typical customer service hours. Sounds like what happened is they ported your wife's number over replacing the temporary Sprint number your iphone was assigned and then when they ported your number they did so on top of her number thus causing your number to disappear. If this sounds like what happened I can help! I understand they retrieved your number and placed it back on the phone line but we need to get your wife's number back. If you send your name and a contact number via private message I will call you tomorrow when I get in between 2-3pm CST. If it gets taken care of beforehand, you can let me know when I contact you.

Thanks!

Journeyman

You almost have it right.  They ported her number over the number I ported into Sprint. 

I'll PM you my info and hopefully you can straighten me out.

Thanks,

Smalldog

Journeyman

I really have to give JoJo0401 a shotuout here.  She was able to get me all straightened out without having to wait, and jump through hoops.

I know she was only doing her job, but the fact that she spotted my complaint in the forum and took it upon herself to call me to straighten things out really shows how much some employees at Sprint care.  You really take pride in your job and it shows.  Now if only everyone else at Sprint could follow in your footsteps.

Thanks Lindsey!

Jeff Newbill

Journeyman

I was really excited about my new phone and switching to Sprint, but after 3 hours in the Apple Store and 1 hour and counting with Sprint I am livid. The Apple rep spent the evening talking to the Sprint rep to get our order to go through and assured us that the port would take place before 9:30 last night. It did not. Now Sprint is telling me I have to go back to the store with another credit card. I told the rep and her supervisor (yes, it escalated to that) in no uncertain terms that I was not doing that and lo and behold they said that my phone would be active in 10 minutes. I'm not holding my breath and gotta tell you that I'm not excited about my new relationship with Sprint. Glad to know that JoJo0401 was helpful--maybe I'll get her next time.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.