cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's S3 phone not compatible with 4g?

Journeyman

Sprint's S3 phone not compatible with 4g?

Hi there,

I have had my Sprint Galaxy S3 for quite a while.  This pass month I see that in my area, i'm getting switched to 4g rather than 3g.  I was thinking to myself, this is great, they are rolling out the 4gLTE soon and i'll finally get the speed that i'm paying for.  After a couple days, i noticed that the 4g signal was getting cut off.  Cut off as in i don't get any data signal at all.  I would think that if i can't get 4g signal, the phone will switch over to 3g but that's not the case.  My data signal is totally gone for about 5 to 10 minutes and comes back as 4g.  This was getting very fustrating as i will be browsing the internet and then suddenly not get any data and would need to wait.

So i decided to call Customer Service.  What the CS told me was that the S3 is not setup for 4g WiMax but setup for 4gLTE.  But I told the CS that i'm getting 4g WiMax on my phone but it gets cut off for a long period of time.  CS understands that we can get the signal but the phone doesn't react good with that signal, therefore, i'm getting cut off for period of times.

So the solution that the CS gave me to get constant data signal is to change my "Preferred network mode" from LTE / CDMA to CDMA only.  I was taken back about this because I feel like i'm downgrading because of Sprints issues.

My question is, anyone else having this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Sprint's S3 phone not compatible with 4g?

me88me,

Thanks for posting.

I am a bit confused about the conversation with customer care but perhaps I can help clarify a bit.

First, it sounds like you are picking up a 4G signal of some kind (the 4G icon is showing at the top of the phone), Great!

In the case of the Samsung Galaxy SIII, the device has only been fitted with a 4G LTE chipset. This means it only has the capability to connect to LTE 4G signals. As we continue to roll out LTE we will do a "warm launch". Basically this means you will start seeing signal before the market is officially launched. This is really for testing purposes and the signal can be unreliable at times. As the work goes on you will start to see expanded 4G coverage and increased reliability leading up to official launch.

Many folks have reported a similar experience with 4G in newer markets such as Miami (a long thread on the forums here about it). It's exciting to see but can be frustrating at first since the signal is still being tested and completed.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Chris

Journeyman

Hi Chris,

I just want to be sure that the only solution at this point to keep a constant data signal is to keep my "Preferred network mode" on CDMA only because with LTE CDMA, i'm getting 4g that periodically cuts off for 5 minutes or sometimes more. 

Wizard

me88me,

Let me check the area just to verify what exactly we have going on. If we are still rolling out 4G service the above would really be the only option (at least for the moment).

Would you mind posting your zip code and perhaps a major cross street around your area?

Thanks,

Chris

Journeyman

Howard and Main, San Francisco.

Also on the Sprint Galaxy S3, when the phone says 4g on the top, is that 4g WiMax or is that 4g LTE?  From other discussions i've read, they say if it says 4g, i'm getting 4gLTE signal but when i look at other carriers S3, they actually say 4gLTE vs 4g.

Journeyman

Any  update with this?  I'm also wondering what the icon says if i do get 4gLTE.  Getting a lot of different answers.. soem says 4g means 4gLTE and some has it say LTE only.

Journeyman

I have been having this same issue.  My coverage icon switches from 3g to 4g with a very strong 4g signal but all of my data connections become inoperable while I am in the "4g" mode.  I currently live in the 97351 area but this happens when I head to Salem, OR.  And it seems to happen every time I head to the Costco in Salem, I am sure it has to do with a tower in the area and not Costco, I just happen to have to sit in line for Gas the longest there and have a chance to notice things.  BUT, on a trip to Eugene, OR this past weekend, I had the same issue on I-5 in the Albany, OR area.  It happened on my way south to Eugene, and then in the same location on my way back north from Eugene.  According to the information I tracked down on the Sprint Web Site, both Salem, and Albany are not slated for the 4G LTE upgrade yet.  Does this mean I should be disabling the LTE/CDMA option and operate my phone only on CDMA, or does this mean that both locations are very possibly going to start having LTE service and I should just give it a few more weeks?  Thanks!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.