cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Sprint phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Stolen Sprint phone

I'm not a Sprint customer anymore, but my phone I purchased at Sprint was stolen. I filed a police report online, but I wanted to know if Sprint will track the phone if the thief attempts to use it on a Sprint account. To my understanding, Sprint *can* track the phone if it's registered, but won't share the location unless I get a subpoena. If I'm not a customer paying insurance on the phone, will Sprint notify the police if a stolen phone is activated?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

We don't notify the police if someone tries to activate it - we just tell them we cant activate it. The only time we release the tracking info is when we there is a subpoena. With many phones there are application to install to track the phone but if you didn't have those installed you are at a loss.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's good to know. I hear it's relatively easy to get a subpoena for such a cause. So if I were to get have the police get a subpoena to get the tracking information, does Sprint track the phone, or how does that work? If you guys don't activate the stolen phone, who can track it?

Highlighted
Master

If the phone is powered on it broadcasts information even if it is not activated. If it is not turned on it cannot be tracked.

Larry

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.