cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical support department no help. Requesting escalation please.

Journeyman

Technical support department no help. Requesting escalation please.

Hi There,

I had a Sprint iPhone 4s, that had been unlocked so I could use the SIM card slot when I travel internationally (i travel a lot). This monday, my iPhone stopped working, I took it to an Apple store who replaced the phone and helped me activate the new phone on Sprint. I know that during the iPhone gets locked to sprint during this activation process and was told that only sprint can submit the unock request to apple, to unlock my replace ment phone - no worries, I figured I'd call up and this wouldnt be a problem. Unfortunately, as I am on a credit limit account, tech support said they cannot unlock my replacement phone, even though my existing phone was unlocked - in short, ive been given a replacement phone that has less functionality than the phone I replaced.

A little history on my account:

When i first signed up to sprint, i was told that i could unlock my iPhone 4S after 90 days, not a problem, as when i first got the phone, i didnt have a trip planned for 3 months. When i called up 3 months later, i was told i would not be able to unlock my phone due to being on a credit restricted account. (Note, I only moved to the USA a little over a year ago, so its not a bad history that caused that restriction, just the lack of any US based credit history.) I was annoyed at the time as at no stage when i first signed up to the iPhone plan and asked about the unlock process did any one say this would be a problem. Despite communcating my frustration with the lack of information when i signed up, Sprint was unwilling to move on the matter, so it seemed like i was out of luck (and out of pocket!)

Fortunately, I have a co-worker who was kind enough to suggest that i move my phone onto her sprint account, which was in good standing, so i would be able to unlock my phone. So i moved my iPhone onto her sprint account, had my iphone unlocked, and eventually moved the iPhone back to my own account. Despite the hassle of this process (and the fact that it highlights the illogical nature of the unlock limitation in the first place), everyone was happy: I got my iPhone unlocked so i could use it when i travel, my coworker got a free lunch for her trouble, and sprint continues to get $130 a month from me.Fast forward to Monday this week, my phone has a fault, Apple kindly replaces it, and gets it activated on my sprint account for me, but Sprint, no matter how i try to explain that i am only activating a replacement phone - not a new phone, wont submit the unlock request to apple.

I understand that the process is there for a reason, and your support repersentatives cannot override these limitatons on a whim, so here i am asking for the process to be escalated to someone who can work with me here.

(I *could* go back to the sprint store with my coworker again, but that costs myself and her an hour and a half, not to mention the sprint store employees wasting time on me when they could be selling new phones instead....)

Cheers,

R

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Technical support department no help. Requesting escalation please.

I'm sorry about the situation your in. I'll be happy to help you out. I see in your post you mention speaking with technical support, have you tried calling our international department? They are known as Sprint WorldWide and thier phone number is (888) 226-7212 option 2. They should be able to further assist you with the process of getting your phone ready for international travel. Let me know if that works out for you.

Thanks,

Ivan

Journeyman

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i have spoken with the international team - they transferred me to the technical support team to unlock my phone. However the tech support team said they were not permitted by policy to unlock an iphone that is on a credit limited account (despite the fact that it is a warranty replacement for an existing unlocked phone) - hence the request for escalation

Cheers,

R

Journeyman

Hi There,

Any update on an escalation for this?

Cheers,

R

Thank you for your patience with me. I took the matter to a supervisor for you. Unfortunately they gave me the same answer that you've been given before. It is not a matter of wanting or not wanting to help; it is a matter of certain lines that cannot be crossed within our policies on the matter. I am sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I appreciate the situation that you are in and am here to help if there is anything else I could help you with.

Thanks,

Ivan

Journeyman

Ivan,

Thanks you for your response. I understand that the rule is in place for a reason (ie, to stop people with limited credit history from buying a subsidised iphone, and then skipping out on paying the contract), but i would like to point out that i am not asking for sprint to unlock a phone i have just purchased at a subsidized price from sprint - I had an existing unlocked phone replaced by Apple due to a malfunction, and activated the replacement phone on my account. The process of activation locks the phone to sprint, im merly asking sprint to restore my phone to the unlocked state my original phone was in. Can you please make it clear to your supervisor that this is not a "new" phone that has been added to my account.

If sprint is unwilling to unlock my replacement phone, then im not sure what you are suggesting i do? Go back to apple and ask for the malfunctioning phone back? Effectively I either use a malfunctioning phone, or go without a phone while I travel for business! Given the nature of my work it isnt an acceptable solution, and certaintly lead to me churning to another provider. In the end, thats not something i want to do (its a time and effort for me), and i assume not something Sprint wants (Im worth at least $130 a month in revenue). Theres an obvious solution here, and its considering the intent of the unlock policy, rather than the word of it.

Cheers,

Rhys

I understand where you are coming from, and can relate to the feeling of having something, then something goes wrong, and to no fault of your own, losing it. I will escalate this again for you. I want a resolution for you. I will reply back tomorrow with the results of the escalation.

Thank,

Ivan

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Ivan - I appreciate your help.

Cheers

I appreciate your patience. I took your case to another supervisor and pleaded your side to him. I showed him this thread, and though we both feel for you and the situation you're in, we cannot get around the policy. As long as your phone is on an "Account Spending Limit" account we cannot unlock that device. However if you spend 18 months with us and have 12 months of perfect payment history, the account type will change and allow you to have an unlocked phone. I'm sorry to bring you the same answer. I know it's not what you want to hear. I'm sorry.

Thanks,

Ivan

Journeyman

Thanks for looking into this, that is a shame that you are unable to take further action. I will cancel my account on Monday and move to another provider, as I cant in cood conscience continue to do business with Sprint following this poor experience.

Cheers,

R

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.