cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Roaming is NOT REALLY UNLIMITED and Customer Service suck!

Journeyman

I am trying to be at my best not to rage, atm.

The situation: My husband is living on a roaming zone. Practically far from Sprint coverage. But he stayed on Sprint for me (I have been with Sprint for some years) and because he will soon move out from that place.

So we continue on using Sprint Unlimited Everything. It says on the web there is Unlimited Roaming Data, too.

BUT, yesterday we got a mail saying that he has already gone over the 300mb limit on Roaming Data (what the F?) and that he has to call the customer service.

This morning he called them, and the lady on the phone was RUDE. She basically said that he went over 300 mb for roaming data. So he either HAVE TO LEAVE SPRINT OR TURN OFF THE PHONE IN THE HOUSE.

Obviously, if he turns off his phone then we will lose our communication way since I am far from him at the moment. But, ofc, what does Sprint care other then their own pocket money?

The problem: We pay for the unlimited service. But we are not allowed to have unlimited. And the customer service doesn't even care!!!

IMAG1217.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Master

The unlimited numbers are in refereances to overages. There are no data overages on Sprint phone data plans. There are on most mobile broadband cards and mobile hotspot plans, but not on the actual data used by the phone and applications. Roaming usage is subject to limits as described in Sprint's Terms and Conditions  (https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm). These limits include a soft limit at 300MB or majority of data while roaming and 800 voice minutes or majority of used minutes. By soft limit I mean it isn't cut off at that point, and a single time being over that amount won't result in anything happen. Only habitual use over that amount will result in notices.

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Master

I sent an email to our production support folks to see if this was standard display of usage or an issue they were working to fix.  Here is their response:

Yes that is the standard display of usage, a nd the response given was correct.  You can roam unlimited aka we don’t charge any different than the base plan, however in the terms and conditions we have soft limits to protect ourselves from abusers.  One option is that they can and should use wifi to prevent roaming data usage wherever possible.

Below is a screen print from our accounts under view all usage section.

usage.png

Thanks,

mapesy

Journeyman

Re: Unlimited Roaming is NOT REALLY UNLIMITED and Customer Service suck!

i have a friend getting drop by sprint he has been with sprint for 9 years we work together most of the time out of town were theres not much signal i can understand if sprint does not make any money with our lines but for a couple of months over the soft limit what about the 9 years sprint has been making money of of him? i think its really low now he is been force to find a new company and buy new phones we are hard workers trying to suport our families and having to buy new cell phones and plans its low from sprint i can only say if recive the same letter im porting my 3 lines it will put me down money wise but im not about to get 2 bills from diferent companies i wish somebody could do something about this !!!!!! tanks

Journeyman

My issue with this is that Sprint doesn't clarify any of this information anywhere on the website or the bill regarding "soft limits".  By saying that it shows unlimited remaining simply to say that there are no overage charges is weak.  There has been habitual use by many many people over the course of the years and this is just now becoming an issue for more and more people including myself. 

halcyoncmdr123 states in the previous post that the TOS say:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

I don't see anything about "soft limits" in the TOS, anywhere on the website or on my bill.  It also states in the TOS that I can monitor my usage online through My Account, and when I do that it says I have unlimited remaining, not that I have xxx amount of data remaining in my "soft limit". 

What I do see is that my data roaming is unlimited and on my bill it actually shows that it's included:

Suseagesum.JPG

As the end user of the service, the customer is lead to believe in more than one place that they have unlimited 3G data roaming.  This is confusing and a guessing game on behalf the customer as to what information Sprint wants us to believe.

Also, Any Mobile, "Anytime" is misleading as well, because that also goes toward the 800 roaming minutes "soft limit" as I have found out when my teenage son spend hours on the phone with his new girlfriend.  So unlimited isn't unlimited and anytime does mean anytime.

It's very frustrating.

The Roaming Clause of 300 MB or 800 Minutes is also in your contract. It is also in the TOS link halcyoncmdr123 posted ( https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm ).  Roaming costs Sprint big $$$$, so it is easier for them to let you go than pay the roaming fees charged by other providers every month, which usually exceeds any profit once you exceed the 300 MB or 800 Minutes.  Unlimited means they don't charge you since they understand you may roam from time to time, but since it is so costly to pay the other provider, there are limits on what is considered acceptable, and what is not, and the magic numbers in all the plans are 300 MB data or 800 minutes.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.