cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Disappointed

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very Disappointed

Recently, we purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 for my daughter who just turned 13 and is entering junior high. She was very excited to get her new phone and right away began sending texts to her friends, downloading music, and playing games.

The phone worked great, but it has one problem, especially for a small 13 year old girl. It is simply too big for her. After trying various things to make carrying it easier we decided to exchange the phone.

Unfortunately for us we were two days beyond the return period. However, I figured that since we have been Sprint customers for more than 10 years, have 4 lines, and never pay late that a manager would see this and allow us to exchange the phone. Wrong. I spoke to several levels of customer service people who actually seemed genuinely concerned with out plight, but their answer was always the same. "We're sorry, but there is nothing we can do".

I am absolutely flabbergasted that a company has such rigid policies that it will not make an exception for a good, long term customer. We were offered various other solutions like using up one of our available upgrades to purchase yet another new phone and swap it with my daughter. I don't think so. Right now, having one line locked into Sprint for two years is enough, thank you.

I wonder if Sprint feels like the $350 early termination fee is enough to keep us from switching to another provider? It isn't. We have begun comparing prices at several other providers and will switch to another one when the iPhone 5 is released.

In fact, our initial price comparisons revealed something surprising. We had always assumed that Sprint's two larger rivals were much more expensive. For our family, at least, they are not. Since none of us are heavy data users we are able to find plans that are very comparable especially with their new shared data plans.

I know you go to the customer service sites for other providers and find people that are disappointed with this company or that one. You can find many other customer service complaints right here at Sprint. For me though, I have always had good experiences with Sprint and found them to have great customer service. That is why this is so surprising to me. I have wondered if switching after one bad experience is a rash and emotional decision. But, I look at like this. If Sprint doesn't feel bad about treating their long term customers this way, then I won't feel bad about switching to someone else.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Very Disappointed

Rules are rules.  No exceptions.  You have 14 days starting the day you purchase the phone to return.  It doesnt matter how long you been with Sprint.

Also if you would have exchanged within that 14 days Sprint also would have charged you a $35 restock fee.  It also wouldn't have mattered how long you been a customer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know what they say about rules... meant to be broken and all. I know that in my business I wouldn't get very far if I treated long term loyal customers so shabbily. It's not about the rules; it's about how you treat people. It's about giving managers and customer service people the tools and the ability to keep customers and not alienate them. Successful businesses understand that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you 100%.  This is just how Sprint is.  I guess thats why they havent posted a profit in over 4 years.

The only thing you can do is what you already said.  Either keep the phone and service you currently have with Sprint, or take you lines and money elsewhere. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ha, if you think you will get better customer service on another carrier, forget it.

The GS3 is the hottest phone out there right now. You could put an ad on craigslist to trade the GS3 for another Sprint phone. I'm sure you could get someone to meet you at a Sprint store and swap phones. I don't understand why people think that they should be above the rules. Sprint has let their customers walk all over them for years, and that is why they have not posted a profit, and currently have the biggest bunch of "entitled" whiny, complaining, terrible customers. Most are on SERO and Sprint is probably barely breaking even on their contracts.

Highlighted
Wizard

The problem is when you break one rule you have to break 25 million then you are out of business.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pyroscott,

For the sake of Sprint's success, I hope that you are not affiliated with them in any way. Your callousness is remarkable. You are calling me whiny and entitled. Well, you're half right. I am not whiny, but I do feel like that after being a good customer for them for a long time that I am entitled to a little more consideration than a new customer would get.

I have worked in customer service at many levels for large companies and for small companies for over 20 years. There are good ways to deliver customer service and then there are ways that aren't very good.

When you are in a service industry all you have are your customers. Every opportunity you have to interact with your customers you should be trying to make your customers feel that they are important, that their problem is unique, and that you treat them with respect. People don't want to be treated like a number or an object that can be neatly filed into a box based on a set of rigid, unyielding rules. Customer service agents should be given the freedom to take into account the situation and use guidelines to resolve the issue.

Another thing you are right about is that all wireless providers suffer from the same customer service problems that Sprint has. None of them are very good. We are approaching a point in this country where all wireless service is uniform and the cost for the service is basically the same. The only way a provider will have to differentiate themselves from their competition will be good customer service. The company that figures that out first will be the winner.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.