cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water damage...yeah right!

Journeyman

Water damage...yeah right!

I went into the Sprint store in Aventure (Miami), FL today to get my phone repaired. About a week and a half ago it just stopped working. Then, it worked for an hour on the second day, then nothing again. So, I'm left with a Palm Pre that doesn't text or write at all. I have a very busy schedule and KNOW it takes Miami Sprint stores forever.

I go and drop my Pre off to pick it up an hour later. The guy at the technical area tells me I had water damage in my phone. I swear on my life that I have NEVER dropped my phone in water. I KNOW how they are about that. They didn't attempt to check my keypad at all and I am REALLY upset. I feel like I'm getting scammed by some lazy workers. Why must I pay to send my phone in and be without one? I live in this state solo without a landline phone.

I have 4 lines on my account, 2 internet cards and pay almost $400.00 every month for all of my services.

I never understood why you get treated so well to join but once you've been with them 4 years they don't attempt to do the right thing. It is just unheard.

Anyone know if they made it illegal for Sprint to charge a cancellation fee? They did it with some service providers.

I'd rather get MetroPCS right about now. Sprint's customer service is the worst and to look me in the face and say there was water damage is ridiculous. But, they did it to a friend of mine so I guess I should have not expected anything more. This is the reason I waited so long to go to the store. It's ALWAYS a long wait just to have to listen to some BS!

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Water damage...yeah right!

Once a phone is flagged DBR (Damaged Beyond Repair), the only way to get the flag off would be to take it to another Service and Repair store, since Sprint cannot actually see the phone to check it out over the phone, they have no choice but to take the systems word for it.  If the systems dont show anything that would disqualify you, then they have to take your word on it.  So if you think that there is no water damage, then the only place that can help you would be another service store.

Water damage doesn't always come from dropping the phone in water, or any liquid for that matter, it can happen from working in extreamly humid enviroments or even sweat from carrying long conversations.

As far as the cancellation fees, no, it is not illegal to charge.  From my understanding, it depends how long you are into your agreement (contract), the cancellation fee drops over time.  You may want to look into that for a better explaination.

Hope this helps.

James

Journeyman

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I went to another store and they keep throwing out well do you take it in the shower, do you workout with it? The only answer is I live in one of the MOST humid places in America. I guess I just don't think it's fair that I have to pay $100 for something I have absolutely no control over.

But...I guess.

Journeyman

Yes, if you live in a humid area, i would get some kind of rubber based protective covering for the phone to increase the liquid resistance, that would be the best way to prevent it happening again.

James

Master

High humidity can cause the water damage indicators to trigger. High humidity also can cause irreparable damage to the phone, hence why it isn't covered under any warranty and requires insurance/deductible. If the water damage indicators have been triggered there is a reasonable chance that something on the board may have shorted out. Your very short description of what the phone is/was doing sounds to me like water damage behavior.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all articles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.